PDA

View Full Version : Fiji tips

Fish_gutz
31-05-2012, 07:42 AM
off to fiji next week for a wedding @ the shang ri la (pretty sure it`s the main Island), just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for some fishing action , I`m taking my spheros 10000 and live fibre set up with some lures and poppers just in case and will also be surfing over there. maybe the boat that takes us out for a surf might be keen for a troll ? anyways any tips/advice appreciated. cheers Andrew

2BNVS1
31-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Hey mate I was at shangri la in Oct 2010. They have a game fishing charter boat there for 80 bucks I think it was. I had my name down to go but one day it rained so they cancelled it and the other days the list needed another 5 ppl to make it a go which didn't happen, so I was spewing we didn't go. We did a cruise to plantation island where the guys had 2 big game rods trolling, and a long rope with a lure attached which caught a decent Spanish mackeral

Lancair
31-05-2012, 10:53 AM
I also had the trip cancelled scenario while staying at Plantation Island a few yrs back. Got out on the next days trip but we didnt catch anything, thye refunded us half the fee, the guide/driver said he'd NEVER gone out and not caught anything.
A mate of mine went on a surfing/fishing trip and used the local guys that take you out surfing, he just hired one for half a day to take him to local reefs and trolling etc. Your in luck taking your own gear as the locals wont supply any. The gamefishing charter mobs will supply tackle tho.

Fish_gutz
01-06-2012, 10:12 AM
thanks for the info fella`s much appreciated.

Tickleish
01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Hey Gutz we've stayed there a few times and i have done the game fishing charter twice but only ever got a few fish and quite expensive.

What is worth doing for $20.00 i think is you go out at dusk and fish some of the shallow reefs with hand lines till about 8-9pm. We got coral trout, parrot, emperor and so on. I would do this nearly every night except if the wind stayed up because you go out in a little alloy cat.

I don't know if i would even bother with the game fishing anymore.

Fish_gutz
01-06-2012, 04:31 PM
I`m thinking i`ll hit the blokes up who take us out for a surf and see if i can flick them a few bucks for a half day troll, I`m sure if there is no surf they`d be keen to earn an extra dollar , and if there`s surf I`ll be surfing. the $20 dollar trip sounds like the goods. i`ll hunt it up when I get there. hopefuuly i`ll have some pics when I get back.

when you got some fish did the resort chef cook them up for you ?

must remember pliers also , what if you score a mackerel or wahoo on your lure and it`d down his throat ! clip a new lure on!

Tickleish
01-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Na you don't get to keep the fish, they give it to there village which is cool by me. Its not so much the resort taking you out its just a couple of locals that work at the resort take you and they keep the fish.

The food is really good there and plenty of good quality fish to eat. Try the ceavachie (wrong spelling) Dolphin fish its awesome.

You don't need any tackle or pliers - they supply everything.

Fish_gutz
01-06-2012, 05:20 PM
that all sounds good to me . thanks again. and i`ll be giving the dolphin fish a run as I have not eaten it before.

Lancair
02-06-2012, 10:17 AM
The day after I went out at Plantation Resort, they caught 1 wahoo. The resort chef cooked up a piece of it for the angler and his family, the rest went to staff living on the island I believe.

derfla
05-06-2012, 09:45 PM
hey andrew, let us know how you go. i'm in the same boat as you (pardon the pun) we're off to the shangri la for a wedding as well at end of july. staying for a week so hope can get a trip in. was thinking of booking a charter before we go but will wait till we get there. russ.

Fish_gutz
06-06-2012, 12:14 PM
no worries , will tack a report on to this thread when I get back on Tuesday.
from all reports the swell is pumping and going to get bigger.

Fish_gutz
17-06-2012, 12:07 PM
well fiji has been and gone , great place for a holiday,especially if you have young children.
the fishing was ordinary around the island land based , had a few half interested looks at my poppers from some blue trevally and one of the boys saw a nice spangled while snorkelling. the swell was pumping so I surfed most times until it got out of control.
some of the boys did a half day in the game boat and I passed as I could see how lumpy it was out there and funds were getting low
(it was 300 fiji $ each for half a day, just under $200 aud !) they came back with 1 x 20kg yellow fin which was cooked up by the grill staff first course was sushimi then tuna steaks , we just had to pay for the side orders of salads etc. tasted great.
thanks again to those who shared the info etc. much appreciated.