PDA

View Full Version : Anchor rope breaking strains

hilta1
30-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Ok guys, just after some info on what breaking strain anchor ropes people run?? Ive got the 2400 kevlacat and the seafarer victory and i am about to put a drum winch on the kevlacat and trying to decide what rope to run with?? I put a drum winch on the seafarer last year and went with 6mm spectraspeed from donaghys, BUT i have only just found out that i was invoiced and charged for spectra speed but Donaghys had a "oversight" and sent the far less quality yacht master rope instead!!!!! I am realy peed off as i lost a SARCA,9mtrs short link chain, swivel etc just after i put the winch and rope on and now i discover that the rope they supplied only had half the breaking strain to that what i thought i purchased!!!!! Do you think i should kick up a stink and demand they replace lost anchoring gear???I wonder how many of us are actualy getting what we order and pay for?Looking forward to hear you opinions, Regards Mark

bigjimg
30-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Wow,Just highlights that we check the invoice and be familiar with the product we order.What time had elapsed from the time you received the rope to the moment that it was lost?
I wish you luck with the compensation aspect,if they are admitting an error on their part it would be morally right to
look after you.And from a business stand point the correct thing to do,it will definately promote their business.
I don't run Spectra just silver rope,it's 12mm and has a BS of over 1 tonne.I won't go any smaller than this as a smaller diameter is hard to get a grip on.Interesting that its SWL is only 144kg.
I hope you get fully compensated,thats not going to be cheap.Jim

WalrusLike
30-05-2012, 10:43 PM
As I understand breaking strain.... (and perhaps I don't...) the breaking strain is the minimum strain that the rope will bear in a continuous steady load.

Safe working load is way less generally because it recognizes that the load can be momentarily multiplied significantly by the operating conditions. In an anchor rope the strain at the sudden movement of a wave for instance.

It seems unlikely that a 6 mm rope is a good idea for a vessel that size no matter what it's breaking strain is.... I may be old fashioned but it seems way undersized to me. ( although thinking about my winch rope, maybe not... It's thin but strong). Yeah I may be wrong about that when I think more about it....

Aussie123
30-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Here's some examples of rope breaking strains from my catalog.
I have used 12mm for them all as a comparison.

SILVER ROPE - 3 STRAND 1240kg - 12mm
3 STRAND NYLON ROPE 12mm - 2995kg
8 STRAND NYLON ROPE 12mm - 2940kg
3 STRAND HIGH TENACITY - PP Seagreen - 2700kg 12mm
MANILLA ROPE 12mm - 934kg
SUPER MAX 12 STRAND ROPE 12mm - 16500kg
3 STRAND POLYESTER ROPE - 12mm - 2230kg
12 STRAND POLYESTER ROPE 12mm - 3690kg
SK75 100% DYNEEMA 12mm - 7200kg
POLYESTER DOUBLE BRAID 12mm - 2670kg

Johnm
30-05-2012, 11:18 PM
to calculate safe working load divide mean breaking load by 7

EdBerg
31-05-2012, 12:11 AM
I personally use either 10mm or 12mm 3 strand nylon, not that I need that much load rating but it is easier to handle, it stretches under load like a rubber band so very hard to break and has a large margin of error for large shock loads. I have 12mm on my 26ft'er only because the winch gypsey needs that size otherwise I would probably would have gone for the 10mm.

Down side is, if you snag the anchor it will almost be impossible to break off! You will most likely rip out your cleats or bollard if you try.