PDA

View Full Version : Enigmatic fishing destinations

NAGG
29-05-2012, 10:47 PM
WTF - I hear you say ;D well ..... I'm sure everyone has a destination that has left them thinking hmmmm - I could have done better , i want to return , I didn't quite nail it ...... etc etc most of all - it leaves an itch that needs to be scratched .... again
for me ...... in recent times it has been Curtis Is (Gladstone) & Hinchinbrook ...... the latter I get to scratch again this weekend :P ...... and trust me it's a big itch (3100kms worth)

So - what destination is your own personal fishing enigma ? ...... and why

Chris

Cods Whallup
29-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Im heading to Stanage Bay next month and im going to scratch the hell out of this itch that ive got!!! My cousin and I have got 7 days up there and will be spending most of that on the water around the percy islands and hopefully out to the swains for a day or two!! Giddyup, weve been there before and this time we armed with more information and a bigger rig!

NAGG
29-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Im heading to Stanage Bay next month and im going to scratch the hell out of this itch that ive got!!! My cousin and I have got 7 days up there and will be spending most of that on the water around the percy islands and hopefully out to the swains for a day or two!! Giddyup, weve been there before and this time we armed with more information and a bigger rig!

Love it ...... never been to Stanage - but will be there next year !!!!!
I do know of a few mates that have Stanage as their enigmatic fishing destination - for one reason or another they just didn't quite meet their expectation - but saw enough to want to return .

chris

Dan5
30-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Yeah well my itch is to go back to PNG and nail a 15kg plus Black Bass...........very frustrating to see them and not even hook one.........

I am happy with the ones we did catch but an upgrade would be awesome...

Only problem i have is the cost.....that makes me very itchy and one day i hope to scratch it!

Dan

NAGG
30-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Yeah well my itch is to go back to PNG and nail a 15kg plus Black Bass...........very frustrating to see them and not even hook one.........

I am happy with the ones we did catch but an upgrade would be awesome...

Only problem i have is the cost.....that makes me very itchy and one day i hope to scratch it!

Dan

I could imagine ....... specially when you've done the long haul with all the difficulties to get there . Where did you go to ?
I've done a week in the Madang (north of) & had a great time ....... If I went back to PNG it would be to go bass fishing - maybe when I've paid off the new boat !!!!
Chris

NAGG
30-05-2012, 07:14 AM
To answer my own question with regard to Hinchinbrook - this will be my fifth trip & each one has been marred by either mechanical failure (which spoiled the first house boat trip) or weather . The weather part has forced us to stick with the creeks at either missionary bay or Lucinda.
This time ..... we have a houseboat & a new game plane ...:P & the weather is looking better

Chris

finga
30-05-2012, 07:51 AM
I'd be able to help you if I knew what Enigmatic and enigma means but I'll take a punt to their meaning.
My goal to top my illustrious fishing career is a simple one really. But it is a 2 part goal.
It has nothing to do with fishing in exotic places or catching bigger fish or catching exotic species.
All I want to do now to top my fishing career off is to:
A) Catch a fish in my creek. Any fish will do
B) Catch a fish in the dam we're going to build and stock
I'll die a very happy bloke if I achieve those.
But I don't want to die as soon as I achieve those.....let me be perfectly clear on that OK ::)

Dan5
30-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Baia,,,,,,,New Britain..........

Unfortunatly catch and release is unheard of and most fish are kept for the locals......
The fish don't go to waste they are eaten and much appreciated........sort of a catch 22..........on one hand you want to catch one but on the other you know the fate of the poor old bass.

Dan

lethal
30-05-2012, 08:52 AM
I stayed at the beach club on Hamilton island and went on the charter, no other fish came aboard other than catfish

Cods Whallup
30-05-2012, 09:16 AM
I stayed at the beach club on Hamilton island and went on the charter, no other fish came aboard other than catfish

Thats Fishing for you, you can be in the best place at the best time, but if the fish dont bite then thats just the way it is!! Sometimes when your in surroundings like that catching a fish is just a bonus!!

finga
30-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Did you eat them??
They'd be real yummy from the clear waters up there.
Beautiful white flesh......Mmmmmm catfish. :)

Cods Whallup
30-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Did you eat them??
They'd be real yummy from the clear waters up there.
Beautiful white flesh......Mmmmmm catfish. :)

Only in warwick lol!! Never mind his dejection of not catching a coral trout to eat!!

shane450
30-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Cape Melville ,tough to work out

NAGG
30-05-2012, 11:43 AM
I'd be able to help you if I knew what Enigmatic and enigma means but I'll take a punt to their meaning.
My goal to top my illustrious fishing career is a simple one really. But it is a 2 part goal.
It has nothing to do with fishing in exotic places or catching bigger fish or catching exotic species.
All I want to do now to top my fishing career off is to:
A) Catch a fish in my creek. Any fish will do
B) Catch a fish in the dam we're going to build and stock
I'll die a very happy bloke if I achieve those.
But I don't want to die as soon as I achieve those.....let me be perfectly clear on that OK ::)

I couldn't think of a better word ...... but it will do -

There are places that puzzel / baffle us .. Mysterious even ..... difficult to learn - but you just know that if you work the place out - it could be gold! & that's why we want to go back there.
I know for my own personal satisfaction ..... I enjoy nothing better than working a place out & then getting results - Then it's time to move on.::) There are plenty of places that I love fishing at (great fishing - picturesque) but ignore because I like to do something different or in the case of Curtis Is & Hinchinbrook ...... I know there is bigger & better things to come :P.
Add to that the destinations that have captured the imagination over the years ...... you end up with a pretty fair fishing calender - sadly life is too short!

Chris

mikeyh
31-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Did a trip to Stanage 2 years back and was surprised how quiet it was.....particularly after the drive from Townsville and 3 hours on the dirt to finally get there.....but superb rugged beauty ...will go back again one day

phantomphisher
31-05-2012, 09:26 PM
New Caledonia. Got a 25kg GT and a 15kg spaniard but had about 50+ strikes, most from larger fish. Not saying I'm not happy with that though!!!

frawlz
01-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Baffle creek.... bloody hell.

First time i went there, hit a rock bar flat out, spent the rest of the day fishing with a cut that ended up needing 4 stitches.

Second time i went, got a lift home from the pub with a bloke who smashed his car and got done for DD.

I've heard the Jacks are good in that there creek.

One day I'll get back up there.

finga
01-06-2012, 06:40 AM
There are places that puzzel / baffle us .. Mysterious even ..... difficult to learn - but you just know that if you work the place out - it could be gold! & that's why we want to go back there.
I know for my own personal satisfaction ..... I enjoy nothing better than working a place out & then getting results - Then it's time to move on.::) There are plenty of places that I love fishing at (great fishing - picturesque) but ignore because I like to do something different or in the case of Curtis Is & Hinchinbrook ...... I know there is bigger & better things to come :P.
Add to that the destinations that have captured the imagination over the years ...... you end up with a pretty fair fishing calender - sadly life is too short!
Chris
Well Chris.....you've described to me what I consider the quintessential sports fisherperson.
It's the hunt that's the attraction.
The idea of figuring out how to regularly catch a fish in a location where it seems there are no fish is what the attraction to fishing is.
I tip my hat to you as your a rare breed. Most people would say.....No bloody fish here. Where's that other bloody spot??? and go to the next spot on the list in the book. They would not consider what they're doing or exact location or time of day has any bearing on capture. The spot is simply dead.
I thought I was the only dope who went to the same spot all the time trying to figure out the best time, baits, presentation, moon phase, depth and all the rest of the variables. People are probably thinking it's just a good place for a snooze when they see me there.

Funchy
01-06-2012, 07:05 AM
To answer my own question with regard to Hinchinbrook - this will be my fifth trip & each one has been marred by either mechanical failure (which spoiled the first house boat trip) or weather . The weather part has forced us to stick with the creeks at either missionary bay or Lucinda.
This time ..... we have a houseboat & a new game plane ...:P & the weather is looking better

Chris

Have been following your exploits up there with interest! (My old stomping ground as a kid) I hope it turns out well for ya mate and look forward to the reports!!! :thumbsup:

NAGG
11-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Have been following your exploits up there with interest! (My old stomping ground as a kid) I hope it turns out well for ya mate and look forward to the reports!!! :thumbsup:

Well , back now ......... I wish I could share my exploits of lots of large fish landed = :'( The fact is - I sucked!!!
Did have some fun loosing several big spaniards off the back of the houseboat when anchored behind Garden Is (live garfish) - locked drag on 30lb braid couldn't slow them .

Jumped the few barra that I hooked & all I could manage were a few GT's & queenies.
Oh well ....... next time.

Chris

NAGG
11-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Baffle creek.... bloody hell.

First time i went there, hit a rock bar flat out, spent the rest of the day fishing with a cut that ended up needing 4 stitches.

Second time i went, got a lift home from the pub with a bloke who smashed his car and got done for DD.

I've heard the Jacks are good in that there creek.

One day I'll get back up there.

Only been to Baffle the once ........ & know what you mean. Baffle would certainly fit into my list of enigmatic destinations and I'm sure it does for plenty of others

Chris

Cods Whallup
11-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Only been to Baffle the once ........ & know what you mean. Baffle would certainly fit into my list of enigmatic destinations and I'm sure it does for plenty of others

Chris

Nagg, if you went to a new and exciting destination or even an old loved one and you nailed it everytime then you wouldnt live everyday with that pain and yearning that it takes for us to plan a trip, get over excited about it, dream about it, and rave about and go and live it! The anticipation is half the fun and all the what ifs and maybes and then when you are there it is so awesome even if the weather is shitty theres still something good about it! Theres nothing like it!! I wish I could put more passion into my one fingered typing lol!!

Chas & Clarry
11-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Clearly Yamba has become ours after our week there recently.

WE did OK in spite of cr@ppy weather, and had one day that was a good day's fishing but the rest was hard work and not the fishing heaven we expected. "We shall return!" :)

NAGG
12-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Nagg, if you went to a new and exciting destination or even an old loved one and you nailed it everytime then you wouldnt live everyday with that pain and yearning that it takes for us to plan a trip, get over excited about it, dream about it, and rave about and go and live it! The anticipation is half the fun and all the what ifs and maybes and then when you are there it is so awesome even if the weather is shitty theres still something good about it! Theres nothing like it!! I wish I could put more passion into my one fingered typing lol!!

Well said / written ....... I certainly share your sentiments :) - I love nothing more than planning a big road trip to a new destination - in fact I've just started researching my next trip ::) . Now that said one of those enigmatic destinations may be included as part of my plan (the itch continues:P) ...... now maybe that is because I still feel that I haven't quite jagged how to best approach fishing the place and there is still so much more to explore ... dunno!

Chris

PinHead
12-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Clearly Yamba has become ours after our week there recently.

WE did OK in spite of cr@ppy weather, and had one day that was a good day's fishing but the rest was hard work and not the fishing heaven we expected. "We shall return!" :)

the wife and myself spent a long weekend down there a few years back with Tangles and his wife (one of the many places the four of us have been "fishing")..crappy weather..did not fish much but the food and drink were good over the weekend. I think that was the start of the WWF..no matter where we go fishing the fish are the safest creatures around.

charleville
12-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Mine would be "The Six Mile".

When I was a kid in Charleville, the "Six Mile" was a favourite place when Dad used to take me. I am only guessing now as I have long forgotten but I suspect that the "Six Mile" was part of the Warrego River six miles from town. I recall that unusually, it had a bit of sand there amongst the mud.

However, when I was twenty years of age, I took a six week holiday to circumnavigate Australia by car following Highway One and to my great delight, I found "Six Mile Creeks" all over Australia. I took photos of each of them

There must be some historic reason why Six Mile creeks etc feature so prominently throughout Australia but they are certainly enigmatic to me.