PDA

View Full Version : Never ever ever never ever did give up his spot X.

Gon Fishun
28-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Story came to mind whilst reading another thread about giving up marks.
I was working in a Caltex servo in Heidlelberg, Victoria back in 1968- 1971 and the Boss, Billy Flockart was his name, owned the site lock stock and barrel and was an ex Aeroplane engine mechanic who had spent time on rotary piston engines. He was a perfectionist and also a very keen fisherman. On the odd friday night after work, we might head across the road to The Old England pub and have 2-3 beers. He only needed 2 to loosen the lips, but, no spot X. He had a small ( 12ft ) bondwood dinghy that he sold because it was to small for Port Phillip Bay and bought a Pongrass fibreglass run about. He also bought blow up rollers to launch the boat from the beach down at Dromana. He would never use a ramp, so I found out , because he had a spot X for snapper, and somebody at the ramp might find out or follow him.
He was about 50 years of age at the time and a little hi strung for lack of a better explanation.
The last I heard of him he was 80 and was suffering from demntia, back in 2000. I have been back to Vic and had a yarn with his son whom has his own mech shop.
In all those years Bill always fished alone and always came back with snapper from his spot X , But he would never and never did tell anybody where it was.
I think it was and probably still is one of those secrets you take to grave with you.
One of the best Bosses I have worked with.
Hope I haven't bored you.
Cheers.

Chas & Clarry
28-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Hope I haven't bored you.
Cheers.

Not at all! Quite the opposite actually. The characters, the mystery and the secrets are all part of what makes fishing magic.

Tim and Trace

TREVELLY
29-05-2012, 06:06 AM
It was a good read - thanks ;)

With dementia - he has possibly forgotten where spot "X" is :)

2IC
29-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Thats agood read for this time of morning I had a spot x for snapps;) would travel 100k up from mooloolaba we would always over night as the snapper really chewed the heads off at dark & on the crack of dawn.. anyway this so called mate always wanted this mark but we never gave it up :-Xbarstard put radar on his boat and pinged us on the mark>:(>:( never realised this until we went there & here he is sitting on it with 2 other boats:'(:'( lets just say he is not a mate anymore

Cods Whallup
29-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Gday all, Im an accredited game harvester (roo shooter/pig hunter) and taking people (mates) hunting or fishing is the same, there is an unwritten law where if you take someone somewhere it is expected that they respect you and your spot and A/ dont go blabbing to every tom dick and harry! B/go back there without you and with ten of his or her mates! Its just good old fashioned RESPECT, sure I'll give out ideas and vicinities but just cant go giving marks and so on! Usually if you have a spot X then you would of had to work hard to find it!! just a thought

Nic
29-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Maybe it was written into his will? ;) Still, with all the time, fuel and effort that goes into finding one's own Spot X, I don't blame Billy for keeping it to himself. Some people (not the OP, obviously) get really offended when you don't share your spot with them, which is weird. I'd never ask somebody for their mark; it would feel like freeloading off their hard work.

Yellowjack
29-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Lucky Dick didnt find out, there would have been gps trackers on his boat

Mossy247
29-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Lucky Dick didnt find out, there would have been gps trackers on his boat
Most likely he didn't take any photo's of his catch in area that clearly gives away the spot "X". Always look out for Pirates!

Gon Fishun
29-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Back in those days we didn't have fish finders as such and the camera was probably a Kodak Brownie, ( which I have several of) :P , it was line of site and landmarks which amazingly did work. :o

finga
29-05-2012, 01:43 PM
I still have the line of sight marks for Evans Head....line the 3rd pole from the left up with the middle of the valley and then straight out until the 4th hill comes into view as your going past the headland....type stuff.

And we still listen to the bottom through the boat. Old bondwood boats were great for this. You can hear the reef if you listen to the hull.

But great story all in all. It's a great shame the box browny wasn't getting used for some pictures of this character.

Cods Whallup
29-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Sorry Finga im just a young fella, what are you listening for when you put your ear to the bottom of the boat, as im going to Stanage and the swains next month this could be invaluable!!!! lol

phantomphisher
29-05-2012, 03:37 PM
My grandad has numerous spot x's inside redland bay. As far as I know I'm the only one that knows about them. No GPS but he pulls in some damn good fish from his rowboat. Alveys and bait only:2vrolijk_08::2vrolijk_08:;D

Cheers, Phantomphisher junior

finga
29-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Sorry Finga im just a young fella, what are you listening for when you put your ear to the bottom of the boat, as im going to Stanage and the swains next month this could be invaluable!!!! lol
You can hear the rattle of the reef. It's like gravel going over itself.

MudRiverDan
29-05-2012, 04:20 PM
That reminds me of what my old grandad used to say .. "Take me nowhere tell em nothin!"

Not overly fond of tourists was grandad.

Dan

garman1
29-05-2012, 05:55 PM
My Ex's dad was like that as far as his spot x was concerned, he would bring fish home but would never mention where he went to catch them and he would not take you fishing to his spot x. I reckon he went to the pub and then bought some fish on his way home. lol

Cods Whallup
29-05-2012, 05:59 PM
You can hear the rattle of the reef. It's like gravel going over itself.
Cheers Finga I nearly fell off my chair when you came back with that, that is something I would never have thought of!!

Fishbait
29-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Good story. Darren