PDA

View Full Version : 90 or 115 HP on New Boat

skifalls
28-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Hi All,

First off, my first post and Day 1 of membership so be nice :)

I have placed a order for a new 5mtr boat today and have come across a dilemma that I thought I'd get some advise on. Whilst going through the details and trying to get the numbers crunched I was offered an upgrade from 90 to 115Hp Evinrude e-Tec. HOWEVER, the 90hp was new, the 115 is a ex demo engine with details to be confirmed. They will provide me with the engine details (serial, model) along with a report that shows for each Rev Band the number of hours it was run at.

Now my dilemma, the model will most likely be 2012 and can between 20 - 120 hours (I'll find out the details soon), assuming it's in this range and a 2012 model I wanted to get's people thought on whether this was a good deal.

From what research I've done there appears to be around 2K difference between a new 90 versus 115, however without the model number it's hard to say.

Overall assuming a 'like for like' on the model what does everyone think? Good deal worth pursuing? As a side note I need to take into consideration any Boat Show deals like the $750 cash back last year, this would not be available on the demo engine. In saying this the engine will be covered by the remaining manufacturer warranty depending on the build date.

Chimo
28-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi S

The 90 is a 3 cyclinder, much the same as the 75 HP while the 115 is a Vee four and is considered to be one of the sweetest engines out of the OMC / Bombardier stable. I have 2 of the 115s all be it the 2 stroke Old-Tech rather than the Etec but there are a lot of similarities except for the fuel input ie carbies vs the wiz bang fuel injectors.

The 90 is a lighter engine the 115 is about 167kg in the old tech and probably not much different in the etec. What weight motor is your hull rated to carry? There are benefits from not having too much weight on the bum but thats a moot point depending what the rating is.

DO you like a bit of speed / power go the 115.
The 115 will probably be as if not more economical too as its always best to hang as many horses on the back as you can to let the motor do it easy in the midish range.

Interesting dilema, be interesting to see which way you go.

Cheers
Chimo

Fed
28-05-2012, 03:51 PM
+1 Chimo.

If both motors were brand new & both were the same price which one would you choose skifalls?
There's your answer right there.

Jarrah Jack
28-05-2012, 04:43 PM
As was mentioned in the Springwood thread, some "demo" motors can be problematic so it would pay to check what they mean by demo. Dealers can pass off returned under warranty motors as demo.

Moonlighter
28-05-2012, 04:54 PM
I was facing a very similar dilemma a couple of years ago when I got my Surtees.

Issue 1: My first issue was whether to go with 90 or 115 horses. I had decided on a Suzuki so the 90 was the new lightweight model, whereas the 115 was the well proven older but heavier version. A couple of grand difference in price.

After much debate, my Suzuki dealer hit the nail on the head - he said "Mate, the boat is rated to take 115 max. I can guarantee that if you get the 115, you will never come to me and complain that you have too much horsepower. But if you get the 90, well......we just never know." So choice easy in the end, go with the 115!

Issue 2: The second issue I had was to choose between a slightly used 115 that had been traded to another dealer when someone realised that they would be better off with 140hp instead of 115, exactly the same situation as in issue #1 above, except he'd chosen the smaller motor and regretted it.

I could save about $1500, 5 year warranty less 6 months, motor only about 60 hours by taking the slightly used motor. Same as you, I could get the printout from the ECU.

What did I do?

Chose the brand new motor and paid the extra.

Why?

I decided that it was worth the extra $ so that I personally knew exactly how the motor had been run-in, treated, serviced and worked since new. The print-out on the used motor couldnt tell me that. Neither could the dealer because he wasnt the owner who had run the boat. I decided basically that it was worth the extra coint to know exactly how it had been treated since new. And I was
a bit concerned that the motor might have been worked a bit hard when brand new pushing a boat that really needed more horsepower, and I didnt think that was necessarily a good thing for the long term life of the motor.

But that's me. Plus I could afford the extra few $ involved.

Put the bite on them for their best price, plus cashbacks, on a brand spanking new 115. See what the diff is. Then decide if its worth it to you. Youre the only one who can answer that.

Cheers

ML

skifalls
28-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the replies so far, some answers and further information;

- The boat is rated to a Max of 115Hp
- We have kids so the idea of speed and towing a tube is not out of the question, I don't mind speed but not sure about the kids and misses
- We have been told they are from BRP stock and not from a dealer (I'm purchasing from a manufacturer not dealer in Melb, won't mention names at this stage). Buying a used and possibly problematic engine was the main concern around purchasing new versus 2nd hand, there were also other reasons but I won't bore everyone with the details
- Ideal world and no budget constraints we would have gone 115 versus the 90

Thanks for the replies so far guys :)

Moonlighter
28-05-2012, 06:24 PM
OK, fair enough.

PS

The 115 will be working less to achieve the same speed. Being a V4 it will also have more torque. Negligible fuel economy difference, Id reckon. Better resale. Plus I know several people with 90 etecs who have had problems with injectors and, surprisingly, 4 of them have had trim/tilt units replaced several times under warranty. No such stories with the 115's though.......

Quote my dealer:

"Mate, if you go max hp I can guarantee you will never complain to me about having too much HP."

He was right.

Cheers

ML

TheSaint
28-05-2012, 06:47 PM
115hp HO..

More ponies the better..

bf90
28-05-2012, 07:35 PM
skifalls, last year I bought a new 5.4 meter half cab ally, standard from the factory it was max 115 hp, I had the bottom sheets of the hull beefed up to 4mm and the hull will now take a 140 max hp. I put my 90 hp vtec honda on the new boat. I have it propped correctly, hole shot is excellent, mid range speed to revs is not what I would like but just ok and wot is 10 kph slower than the old boat I took the honda from. I am happy with the job my 90hp does for me, if I had the chance and the nod from the minister of war and finances I would go the 140 for better cruise speed, fuel economy and bat out of hell at wot. bugger the demo, go new max hp and you will never look back!!;D

Redspeckle
28-05-2012, 09:14 PM
There is a E tec website it's in America but I have used it to check out some serial numbers of used outboards and ones never been on back of boat old stock Information been spot on so
so see link http://www.etecownersgroup.com/
Personally I would go the 115 hp V4 I have currently the old V4 2 banger it's a 90 hp The reason is going sticking with V4 it's got the toqure & grunt over a 3 cyclinder 90 hp They aren't as heavy as the 4 strokes in same class

Mitch

Still_Dreamin
28-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I purchased a 5.45m Tournament (glass boat) with a 90etec just before Easter. Talked to Mark from Australian Marine centre at Springwood whom i bought the boat off about an upgrade to 115hp. I am not intending on using it for skiing so Mark said hard to justify the extra cost and weight. WOT with full tank fuel fishing gear and two 100kg blokes top speed 53km/hr (about 32knots I think). Sat there quite comfortably for the 35 min run back across the bay No problem out of the hole. Did 117km for 50.77 litres of fuel according to NMEA fuel flow meter attached. I guess a 90 on 5m would be pretty much the same. Think about all the gear you could buy with the difference

Todddo
28-05-2012, 10:04 PM
My father bought his boat new with a 90hp merc (18 foot bowrider), after 30 hours he sold the 90 and went for a 115 merc as he wanted more torque and grunt. Its actually better on fuel then the 90hp. If you want to save money in the long run, buy a new 115. Beats buying the 90hp and being unhappy with it!

fisho8
28-05-2012, 10:24 PM
I bought my 1750 clearwater (5.2mtrs) with a 90hp elpto merc on it and it did he job ok but when I loaded it up the engine worked quite hard. I then upgraded it to a Merc 115 opti and the differance was surprising it was better on fuel and really got up and went. It is amazing what a differance that extra 25hp made. All I will say is that you want to have a good think about it and get it right the first time because it cost me another 6k to find out what I should have done in the first place. I now own a 2100 clearwater which come out standard with a 150hp engine. It was upgraded to a 175hp opti from new hence that was one of the reasons I bought it. The less the engine has to work the more you save on fuel and will have that extra power when you are loaded with your mate and your gear. Good luck mate.

BTW way dont talk about ETEC's too much on here you might stir up a hornet's nest haha...but that is another story.:-X

rowanda
29-05-2012, 12:59 PM
easy, go the 115....I'm on boat number 11 now and like others have said you wont complain about too much power
Not necessarily for outright speed, but if the boat is loaded up (family or mates with alot of gear) and you are in ordinary
conditions I want as much power to push through sometimes. Go the max HP on any boat.
In regards to the "demo" model though, I'd be pushing to receive full warranty on it nont whats remaining...or if its a $1500
extra outlay for a new one...that'd be my pick easily...worth the piece of mind
Good luck

marty666
29-05-2012, 06:20 PM
I purchased a 5.45m Tournament (glass boat) with a 90etec just before Easter. Talked to Mark from Australian Marine centre at Springwood whom i bought the boat off about an upgrade to 115hp. I am not intending on using it for skiing so Mark said hard to justify the extra cost and weight. WOT with full tank fuel fishing gear and two 100kg blokes top speed 53km/hr (about 32knots I think). Sat there quite comfortably for the 35 min run back across the bay No problem out of the hole. Did 117km for 50.77 litres of fuel according to NMEA fuel flow meter attached. I guess a 90 on 5m would be pretty much the same. Think about all the gear you could buy with the difference

I have the same boat as you but opted for the opti from the sunny coast casue i could get the 115 on it cheaper than the etec 90 but that aside 115 opti cruse speed 3200-3400 10 L/hour at 38 KPH sits on the plane nicely WOT 75 KPH across the bay two adults and one child fishing gear and days activities equipment and full tank with bimni and front and side clears all up. So in answer to the original question go the bigger engine because if you need it in bad weather or what not you will have it rather than wishing what could be and at the end of the day it is only money, but do agree not a demo unless there is low hours and proof of proper maintance

skifalls
29-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys for all the informative information, I wil post further details once I find out the engine details. As a side note, does anyone know what the difference in price would be between a new 90 versus say a 2012 115 with for example 50 hours? Assuming they are the same model in their respective power band.

Matt76
30-05-2012, 10:32 PM
I'd be really hesitant buying an Etec demo, I had an Etec and loved it so I'm not an Etec basher, but they have been known to have warranty issues so I would check the history really well.

skifalls
02-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks for everyone for providing the feedback and advise. I thought I would update everyone on the decision, well after some negotiation I've managed to upgrade to a NEW 115hp HO for a small premium. Now just the waiting for the boat to be built, 3 months to go!!

Based on everyone's feedback I think it was obvious maximum HP was the way to go, now with a new engine I don't need to worry about how a used one was taken care or pushed to the limit's as I would expect of a demo engine.

Thanks again to all :)

Matt76
02-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Make sure you show us some pics when it's done!

Goodoo haven
02-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for everyone for providing the feedback and advise. I thought I would update everyone on the decision, well after some negotiation I've managed to upgrade to a NEW 115hp HO for a small premium. Now just the waiting for the boat to be built, 3 months to go!!

Based on everyone's feedback I think it was obvious maximum HP was the way to go, now with a new engine I don't need to worry about how a used one was taken care or pushed to the limit's as I would expect of a demo engine.

Thanks again to all :)

Good on ya. I think you have made the right decession mate. :thumbup:

rowanda
02-06-2012, 09:19 PM
top choice....and definately some pics....enjoy