PDA

View Full Version : North pine Info

rando
28-05-2012, 01:24 PM
I do not fish the "Pine",but have been looking at nearmap and wondering about the sand & gravel works there.
Are those ponds near the paper mill active extraction sites, and similiarly are the ponds on the south side of the river active extraction sites.
I am not refering to the ones with the horrible chemical colour, rather the ones nearer Gympie rd .And are they connected to the river itself.
Just curious!!.
What will happen when the gravel works close down?

Chas & Clarry
29-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Rando, there is no connection to the river itself...though they all connected up in the 2011 flood :)

No legal access to the ponds either.

Heard talk about a "lake estate" / parkland when the extraction stops, but I don't know how accurate that is.

The areas of the South pine where they seem to have dredged gravel in the past are deep but pretty dead in my opinion, but that is just my opinion, no evidence other than that we catch fish in other parts of the Pine but not there.

Tim

Si
29-05-2012, 08:45 PM
good question. not too sure bout the boral gravel operation but this (below) is regarding the concrete batching plant on bald hills rd. very interesting. I have personally seen surface water runoff in the south pine from this development at a number of points.

A CONTROVERSIAL Bald Hills concrete batching plant has applied to the Brisbane City Council to make the plant a permanent operation with onsite sewage treatment – a decision that has ‘outraged’ surrounding residents.
Hymix Australia Pty Ltd submitted the development application with the Brisbane City Council on January 18 this year, to continue concrete operations at 250A Bald Hills Road.
Public advertising for this application expired on Friday, March 2, however, members of the public are still able to submit their written feedback to council as the application is impact accessible.
The batching plant was first established on May 10, 2009, and despite Brisbane City Council opposing the development a State Government ruling paved the way for the plant to proceed, according to Council records.
The plant was designed to supply concrete to Australia’s largest ever transport infrastructure project the $4.8 billion Brisbane Airport Link.
As the major concrete supplier for the project’s precast sections the plant was expected to deliver more than 100,000 cubic metres until mid this year.
“The project is scheduled for completion in 2012 and has three major components,” according to Hymix website.
“The first is a 6.7 kilometre link between Brisbane’s two biggest destinations: the CBD and the airport. This link includes a 5.25 kilometre tunnel; the largest and longest tunnel ever built in Australia, with three lanes in either direction. It also includes a 750-metre flyover above the notoriously congested Brisbane airport roundabout and a Northern bus-way.”
However, the Hymix website also refers to the plant as ‘permanent’ despite having to apply to council to rezone the site as a permanent operation.
“Hymix was the first major supply contract for the Airport Link project. It was a collaborative achievement with Theiss John Holland, contracted to design and build the Airport Link and underpinned by Hymix’s commitment to supporting their brand new precast facility with a dedicated concrete plant,” the Hymix website reads.
Councillor for Bracken Ridge ward Amanda Cooper sent out a letter to residents alerting them to the application and urged feedback.
“Even though the official advertising period is complete, you can still submit your comments on this application for consideration by Council officers during the decision phase,” Ms Cooper said.
“Please note that even though your submission will be considered, you will not have the right to appeal the final decision made in the Planning and Environment Court (should it proceed to the courts).”
Concerned Bald Hills resident Helen Sprott said she was ‘shocked’ that the plant was applying for an extension of the plant, when the initial application was to develop a temporary operation.
“There’s a range of problems that this concrete batching plant has introduced to the area,” she said.
“The constant noise, asphalt and fuel smell in the air, heavy vehicle traffic and noise as well as destruction to the surrounding eco-systems and the water ways.”
Department of Environment and Resource Management (DERM) officers conducted an inspection of the erosion and sediment compliance program inspection on August 3, 2011.
During the inspections DERM officers found a Hymix operated pond with 22 mega litres of water has a pH level of about 10, ‘where cement waste directly contributes to elevated pH levels’.
“No treatment measures or initiatives have been implemented to treat alkaline pond water and reduce and/or minimise the potential for environmental harm,” the report, which is available online, said.
The report also highlighted, in 2011, that the operation had implemented ‘inadequate erosion controls’ on surrounding soils which in turn leaks into the South Pine River, according to the report.
“It is likely that sediments have the potential to be discharged from the site and cause environmental harm,” the report read.
“Hymix operate activities on site with no measures to prevent sediment from leaving the site via vehicle traffic, where it is likely to cause sediment releases to waters and cause environmental harm.”
Anyone wanting to write a letter both for or against the proposal needs to quote application number A003111348.
Residents are asked to address the letter to The Assessment Manager, Brisbane City Council, GPO Box 1434, Brisbane, QLD, 4001.

tunaticer
29-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Si, There is a lot of mis-truth about the Hymix plant in that article with most of it based on a tiny portion of actual full truth.

Si
29-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Si, There is a lot of mis-truth about the Hymix plant in that article with most of it based on a tiny portion of actual full truth.
ok, fair enough. I have my reservations about anecdotal info, personal opinion and misconstrued words i.e 'by traffic' also but i have some seen discharges from this development into south pine myself so I'm personally concerned about it and have some reservations about surface water management.

tunaticer
29-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Well firstly they tested their settlement ponds for Ph. These ponds are to drop the product from the water so the water can be re-used in the concrete batches later. All concrete batching plants have strict site water and stormwater guidelines to follow and they all use as much recycled water as possible, besides, why pay big bucks for a million litres of town water when the site water is free?
The lake to the western corner of the big shed is stormwater sediment lakes that has run off the casting site and collects in that lake to avoid it entering the river system. The big shed is not a part of Hymix, it is TJH. Hymix had the contract to supply the casters with concrete. The concrete batching plant is long term, the casting area is not.
I would be much more worried about the displaced water from the landfill towards the freeway bridges, who knows what has gone into that landfill and where did that water go?????? Ever noticed the pipe that enters the river and goes deep and looks so docile???

Si
29-05-2012, 10:56 PM
I have noticed several pipes that enter the water from this development. i think there is one around the sunken barges, a couple of the straight section of the first part of south pine and a 'hidden' one I actually heard first last week up the backwater part. The amount of water coming out of this was interesting. not saying they are doing anything outside their management plan but its interesting nonetheless.