PDA

View Full Version : Pride Premier rebuild advice

muzzburt
28-05-2012, 11:55 AM
As thousands before me i had noticed a small soft spot between the seats of my pride premier. Cut small inspection hole, and didn't stop cutting until my floor stringers were out as rot got to it all. And so Started the rebuild. I still have to grinde out the glue where the floor & stringers were attached. I have posted some pics to hopefully get some opinions from members.

1. you will notice where the stringers met the transom there was a little moisture which has got in. After grinding the skin around, it only looks like tiny bit of wet/rot and dont really want to replace the transom, so i was thinking of cutting the wet stuff out and bogging. I was reading somewhere that if i cut it out and soak with car antifreeze to kill all rot spores, dry completely and bog it up i should be ok.

2. Stinger timber - I have taken measurements from whats left of one of the original stringers, the length is about 3450mm, 28mm thick, 90mm wide. Cannot get marine ply in one piece this size and advise as to what timber to use and what to use to seal it?

3. To foam or not to foam?

I have already trawled through hundreds of threads found some great information from the rebuild enthusiasts, without this forum i doubt i would have attempted it. Thanks to all!

Nathan Tuskes
28-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Imo I would redo the transom aswell while your at it, or like some people do and just cut out the section of rot in the reason add the timber back in place then glass over. Not ideal by any means but if you cut out all the rotten stuff plus some of the dry rot free timber it would give you a bit Of a base to work from again. Stressing again not ideal at all..

For the stringer that's 28mm get 14mm ply and laminate it together with a single layer of CSM between that's been well wet out then clamped/ screwed temporary until set then remove screws and fill the small holes. For timber I would use just structural grade ply cd face. No need to seal it with a paint etc. The fibreglass layers are what seal the ply.