PDA

View Full Version : Small BBQ for boat

Goodoo haven
27-05-2012, 08:11 PM
G'day guys and girls. I am looking at buying a small BBQ to have in my tinnie for when we are out fishing so that we can cook up a hot feed. Does any body have any suggestion of something that is going to be small and not take up much room? You help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

truth stretcher
27-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Lot of chat about the ubute type grills , seem like a good thing it depends on what you want to spend .
Look in the camping forum section here, search ubute here or google it.

Goodoo haven
27-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks mate. I will look those up. I dont want to spend a lot of money on something that will only be used once or twice a week. I have looked into those since I first posted this thread, and they look pretty good. I am wondering if there are any other kinds out there that can be brought.

truth stretcher
27-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Mate I purchased a $19 single burner from woolies that use the disposable butane canisters for work, it cooks a good snag or steak and can't go wrong for something that gets chucked in the work truck and smashed around all over western Qld .
I think I walked out of woolies with frypan utensils grill butane and oil for well under $50 .
Just add meat.

johndeere
27-05-2012, 08:37 PM
There's a guy Chris Haines in Naracoorte SA that makes a BBQ that the above unit fits in. Brilliant $150

Goodoo haven
27-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks mate. I will do a search on him and see what comes up.

Mrs Ronnie H
28-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Hi
Why not just grab one of those single burners and a grill plate. We use one in our boat, on the bait board for boiling the kettle and and a feed if we want. Inexpensive and will not take up alot of room.

Ronnie

Goodoo haven
28-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks Ronnie, I will look seriously into that option. I'd like to hear if any one else has got other options out there for me to take on board.

Tailortaker
28-05-2012, 10:41 AM
i'm another that just uses the single butane burner and a cast iron fry pan, easy to use and easy to stow.

Goodoo haven
28-05-2012, 10:56 AM
i'm another that just uses the single butane burner and a cast iron fry pan, easy to use and easy to stow.

Thanks for that. I think that I will go that way too.

Triple
28-05-2012, 12:57 PM
I am a U-Bute fan.. Used a single burner then sometimes I needed more cooking room or had to boil some water at the same time, so I bought another single cooker and used them for awhile..Then bought a U-Bute and found it much easier to use/carry/store with the removable hotplate and purpose built case with tongs/spatula holder and spare gas cans etc. Takes up a bit more room but I use it at the park instead of the public BBQ's that have had who knows what put on them and while camping too so if you can fit a U-Bute then I recommend them. (Had a starter issue with mine and U-Bute sent a complete replacement at no cost so I am happy to promote the product) You will find them on special for $50-$70 at most places or websites.

http://ubutebbq.com.au/

Goodoo haven
28-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks for that buddy. I just ordered myself one of those. It looks as though it is just what I need. Thanks again.

PROS
31-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Ubute certainly looks great, compact design, effective 2 burners, cheap pricing.

Me is being a Turkish import, I am used to deal with charcoal when it comes to bbq rather than easier gas option, flapping a bit of cardboard to get the fire going, smoke, sweat and heat have been coded into my blood.
Having a freshly caught fish cooked over charcoal accompanied with a glass of Turkish Raki, and I am happiest Aussie.

Been thinking of having a small circular weber type bbq setup in the boat with some sort of swing arm so I can get the heat and cooking going outside of the boat.
What I cant figure out is what to do with it once the fish is cooked. Its not like gas, charcoal keeps burning till fuel runs out.
Obviously I cant just dump the charcoal into the drink since I am Australian now.
Putting a bit of water over charcoal to get the fire out is guaranteed to have a big mess.

Anyone have a similar setup or suggestions?

Mrs Ronnie H
01-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Ubute certainly looks great, compact design, effective 2 burners, cheap pricing.

Me is being a Turkish import, I am used to deal with charcoal when it comes to bbq rather than easier gas option, flapping a bit of cardboard to get the fire going, smoke, sweat and heat have been coded into my blood.
Having a freshly caught fish cooked over charcoal accompanied with a glass of Turkish Raki, and I am happiest Aussie.

Been thinking of having a small circular weber type bbq setup in the boat with some sort of swing arm so I can get the heat and cooking going outside of the boat.
What I cant figure out is what to do with it once the fish is cooked. Its not like gas, charcoal keeps burning till fuel runs out.
Obviously I cant just dump the charcoal into the drink since I am Australian now.
Putting a bit of water over charcoal to get the fire out is guaranteed to have a big mess.

Hi
Think what you are suggesting would be better suited to at home or camping. To do this on a boat would be seriously a big safety issue.

Ronnie

Goodoo haven
01-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Yes I agree 110% with you Ronnie. Very risky of an explosion on board with that method.

PROS
01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Maybe I am just an idiot but I dont see how it could be any more dangerous than having a ubute burning inside the boat.
To make it clear, I mentioned above that the bbq will be located outside of the boat, with a swingarm to the side.
Than again, me being Turkish we are used to exploding things :)

If there is a chance of explosion, this requires a source of ignition which is open flame from bbq in this case.

With ubute, it is used inside the cabin, where any fumes or any fuel gathers. In this case possible ignition source and fuel is closer to each other.
With outside weber, there is less chance of getting in contact with any fuel inside the cabin.
Seeing the actual charcoal burning makes it look more dangerous psychologically in my opinion.

Saying this, any cooking regardless of with what is only something to be attempted in calm sea conditions for me.

Correct me please fellow friends if my logic is crooked.

Goodoo haven
01-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Maybe I am just an idiot but I dont see how it could be any more dangerous than having a ubute burning inside the boat.
To make it clear, I mentioned above that the bbq will be located outside of the boat, with a swingarm to the side.
Than again, me being Turkish we are used to exploding things :)

If there is a chance of explosion, this requires a source of ignition which is open flame from bbq in this case.

With ubute, it is used inside the cabin, where any fumes or any fuel gathers. In this case possible ignition source and fuel is closer to each other.
With outside weber, there is less chance of getting in contact with any fuel inside the cabin.
Seeing the actual charcoal burning makes it look more dangerous psychologically in my opinion.

Saying this, any cooking regardless of with what is only something to be attempted in calm sea conditions for me.

Correct me please fellow friends if my logic is crooked.

You are correct in some aspects, but myself I dont cook inside a cabin because I dont have a cabin to cook inside the boat. My boat is an open run about fishing boat, and if it was big enough for a cabin on it I wouldn't cook in it unless the fuel tank was and the other end of the boat. This is only my opinion... others might have a different view on this.

You logic is not crooked at all... each for their own I say.

PROS
01-06-2012, 11:03 AM
After a bit of research, I found below link,
http://www.boatbq.co.uk/

Perfect solution for me.
Comes with the swing arm, Easy to manage, easy to clean, marine grade SS, and just uses disposable bbq units which solves the clean up issue.

Goodoo haven
01-06-2012, 11:07 AM
After a bit of research, I found below link,
http://www.boatbq.co.uk/

Perfect solution for me.
Comes with the swing arm, Easy to manage, easy to clean, marine grade SS, and just uses disposable bbq units which solves the clean up issue.

Thats a ripper of an idea. Should be great for what you need buddy.

Mrs Ronnie H
01-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Hi
As was said each to their own but I have a problem with any kind of flame , let alone embers on a boat-- even gas.

We don't have a cab either and mount our burner on the bait board in the open at the rear of the boat. When we did have a cabin we cooked in it but never left anything unattended.

I know you say in calm conditions but what if you have a boat or two going by and a large wake.

there is nothing wrong with your logic-- if that is what you want then that is up to you.
Personally from a safety point of view wouldn't do it myself.

Ronnie

Jakers 69
01-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Use webber Q100
Either over the side or on bait board.

Goodoo haven
01-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Use webber Q100

Geez, thats the bees knees you have there buddy. Great set up.

WalrusLike
01-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Yeah looks great.... Only concern I have is my snags rolling off into the drink. Triangular sausages?

ozscott
01-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Forget anything stainless and the size of a prime mover on the veranda (and boat...) the Webber Q is the ants pants. I have had the original since it first came out, and the 100 would just be a scaled down one. The heat they put out is insane, they cook with the lid on for fast cooking and locking in flavor and they burn very little gas in the process. One for a boat makes a lot of sense.

Cheers

Jakers 69
01-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Use webber Q100

Did a deboned shoulder of lamb in it, foil tray spices and dressing(on the water) came out soft and juicy.

The U Bute is also very nice ,as it got 2 burners if you want to make a sauce or use a pan.

Mrs Ronnie H
01-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Hey you guys
That webber is great. Now where do I get hold of those brackets. What size gas bottle do you carry?

I like the idea of having it over the rail. Much better imo.

Ronnie

Triple
01-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Only concern I have is my snags rolling off into the drink. Triangular sausages?
Just get one of these and skewer your snags - http://www.suziwongcreations.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/skewers.jpg

Bout $10 from most utensil places. No more lost snags and easy rotation for perfect cooking.

WalrusLike
01-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Cool Triple I love it, thanks.

Jakers 69
01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
HI Ronnie,
Any good stainless bender can do the brackets for you, first buy the baby Q 100 for them to do the measurements for the bbq and for the boat fittings.
Gas bottle is a small 1.25L LPG.
Cost for the brackets were minimal, around $ 100 for the brackets and the fittings into hull.
Been in some swell with it on with no problem, but would reccomend to throw anchor and enjoy.

Mrs Ronnie H
01-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Hi
Will look into doing that- its a great idea and if i get a baby q can use it at home as well for sundays with tom cruise.

Thanks for all the hints on this thread. Its amazing the ideas out there.

Ronnie

Goodoo haven
01-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks every body, you all have been very helpful to me and some others too.