PDA

View Full Version : running 24v trolling motors?

truth stretcher
27-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Sorry if this is a silly question but how do you run a 24v trolling motor off a dual battery 12v charging system?

Steve B
27-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Not a silly question....but you cant!

you still need 2 x 12v batteries..yes.

run the + lead from leccy to 1 positive terminal of one battery.....run the - lead from electric to the - on the other battery.....then run a seperate individual lead from the spare - to the spare + terminals on each battery....that makes it 24v....hope that makes sense!

BUT - to charge the batteries you need to disconnect all the leads and charge them individually as 12v batteries unfortunately...I found out the hard way with my first 24v setup...killed 2 batteries.

Cheers Steve

NAGG
28-05-2012, 06:09 AM
you can purchase duel & even 3 outlet chargers - Minn Kota do them ....... not cheap though & only put out 5amps from memory. These types are meant to be permanently wired into the system & it is simply a case of plugging it in to a 240 volt outlet .

Chris

Dicko
28-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Not a silly question....but you cant!

You can.

The yanks have several options, as most of their setups are using 24& 36v electrics.

When I looked around a few yrs ago the price of different solutions ranged from $100 to a $1000 and also ranged from simple to complex in their wiring.

Here's one. (it also satisifies good the value for money, and simple criteria)

http://www.yandina.com/troll24info.htm

Basically, how it works is,
You wire it between the 2 batteries you're using to make 24v.
When it has power going in, it's switches to parallel & accepts charge via 12v.
When it has power going out it switches to series & supplies 24v.

Have had that one for about 2 1/2 yrs, no problems.

If you don't want a third battery, You can just use that converter & run 2 batterries with one of those in the middle. From there you end up with a 12v cranking battery, 12v to run accesories on the boat, and 24v to feed an electric motor, and charge via the alternator when running.

My set up is 3 batteries. 2 agm deep cycles wired up with one of those in between them and using position '2' on a regular battery switch. A regular starting battery wired to position 1.

If switched to the pair of batteries it becomes like the stand alone system described before - regular 12v cranking, run 12v accesories, run a 24v electric & charge from 12v when running.

The other battery in the other switch position is pure backup for starting & running accesories in the normal manner. It won't feed the 24v system.

llourd
28-05-2012, 11:30 AM
if you want (or need) to run the 24v system there are basically 2 choices for charging, the cheap labour intensive way which sees you using a regular charger and disconnecting the batteries each time or the expensive but easy way which is to buy the proper charger and just plug it in to charge both batteries.
CTEK make good chargers for this, you will want the MXT14 or 14000 (same thing, just name change). These run about $375, but they have the higher amp output so that you can get a decent charge into both batteries. Be careful with the ones that only put out 5 amps, they may not get you a full charge in a short enough amount of time, especially if you are using the 120amp batteries.

ScottB
28-05-2012, 01:55 PM
You can't run the trolling motor off your normal battery setup, you will need to get two dedicated batteries and connect them in series.

As for charging a 24V Bank from a 12V system, it can be done...

BEP did make a VSR for Trolling Banks which allowed it to charge the 24V battery bank from the 12V motor alternator. If you google "BEP Trolling Bank VSR" you will find a lot of references to it like http://boatbits.com.au/index.php/bep-24v-trolling-battery-vsr.html this but they don't seem to be on the BEP website anymore??

Regards

Scott

Steve B
28-05-2012, 07:48 PM
You can't run the trolling motor off your normal battery setup, you will need to get two dedicated batteries and connect them in series.

As for charging a 24V Bank from a 12V system, it can be done...

BEP did make a VSR for Trolling Banks which allowed it to charge the 24V battery bank from the 12V motor alternator. If you google "BEP Trolling Bank VSR" you will find a lot of references to it like http://boatbits.com.au/index.php/bep-24v-trolling-battery-vsr.html this but they don't seem to be on the BEP website anymore??

Regards

Scott

LOL...Your right. I should have know this...I had one on one of my Makocraft frenzy. Unfortunately it was dissapointing and charged bugger all, even with the 60amp alternator of an Optimax. After the main house battery would charge, it would switch to the 24v setup, doing 1 min on/off on each battery. Found it didn't really do a good job, and generally had to disconnect..and charge the traditional way.

Cheers Steve

PS Appologise, thought original poster was referring to actually charging a 24v set up with a 12v charger..