PDA

View Full Version : The great "BUFF" rip off

NAGG
27-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Is it just me that thinks that "Buff" headware & the cheaper "Head Sox" are just a giant rip off :brood:
I mean while they are functional & anything that protects us from skin cancer is a good thing ........ BUT , lets face it - it's just a continuous tube of microfibre textile that gets cut ........ hell it would take more to make a pair of jocks :stunned: - I mean $40 ... or $50 for a woolen original "Buff" ...... is just way over the top ::)

Begrudgingly I forked out $20 for a head sox ...... but even that seems steep!

am I off the mark ???

Chris

backhoe
27-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Yep I think they are overpriced but wouldn't be without them. They do a great job. More economical here, especially if you get a few and get free shipping. http://www.kitshack.com/catalogue/

scuttlebutt
27-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I tend to agree. I picked a Buff up off ebay from the U.S. for around $20 delivered and I don't reckon it's worth that. I don't wear it much as I find it uncomfortable and doesn't live up to the hype for me. Maybe in colder climates, but just a pita in FNQ.

i reckon an Adapt-a-cap is a much better alternative.

Floating Rib
27-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Hi Chris, i have a buff that i thought was ok that i bought off ebay(paid about $20 like you) but my latest purchase to keep the sun off is a Columbia Sportswear PFG buff look alike, its cooler and more fitted to the face and has little micro holes where the nose/ mouth goes so breathing is easier and not quite so much fogging on the sunnies, much better bit of gear. More guys wearing this stuff due the the big C even though i look like a terrorist with all my sun gear on, think the port authority guys have a close look when i go past the ships. Rather look stupid than ge sunburnt.
Mate in the states got it for me I paid about $24 delivered but its worth every cent.
Cheers
Rib

TimD
27-05-2012, 06:49 PM
They are expensive but id rather pay $40-50 than have to fork out for skin cancers to be cut out :thumbsup:

cheers tim :)

Boat Hog
27-05-2012, 06:54 PM
You're not alone!!

But it is "comfortable to the max", "technical headwear for the active". Imagine wearing something that sounds that cool!

$10 product that costs an extra $30 for awesomeness - advertising and product placement costs (this is how the product becomes awesome). 8-)

Actual awesomeness is implied but not guaranteed.

Cheers

NAGG
27-05-2012, 07:10 PM
They are expensive but id rather pay $40-50 than have to fork out for skin cancers to be cut out :thumbsup:

cheers tim :)

couldn't agree more ........ this is my third one - but the prices seemed to have jumped considerably since I bought my first one a few years back .

chris

Charlie
27-05-2012, 07:24 PM
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/528771176/Blue_Multifunctional_Headwear.html

Someone making money that's for sure, a five dollar product sold for twenty.

Steve B
27-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Nagg you BUFFoon,...just had to say that...of course its a rip off !! LOL

Mate I got 5 for $20 off Ebay, I think they are a knock off, but they work. I think there was a thread on AA about them with a link. I still have a couple in packets you can have next time we catch up....ones pink, and other purple with pink pokerdots!!!!

Cheers Steve

here is the link, I had to go back thru my ebay to find seller. I think these are the same ones...same seller anyway

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NECK-HEADWEAR-BANDANA-MULTI-SCARF-TUBE-MASK-CAP-WARMER-WHOLESALE-FREE-SHIPPING-/261006939886?pt=Mode_Accessoires_Damenaccessoires_ Damenschals_T%C3%BCcher&var=&hash=item8269582c22#ht_6466wt_905

NAGG
27-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Nagg you BUFFoon,...just had to say that...of course its a rip off !! LOL

Mate I got 5 for $20 off Ebay, I think they are a knock off, but they work. I think there was a thread on AA about them with a link. I still have a couple in packets you can have next time we catch up....ones pink, and other purple with pink pokerdots!!!!

Cheers Steve

here is the link, I had to go back thru my ebay to find seller. I think these are the same ones...same seller anyway

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NECK-HEADWEAR-BANDANA-MULTI-SCARF-TUBE-MASK-CAP-WARMER-WHOLESALE-FREE-SHIPPING-/261006939886?pt=Mode_Accessoires_Damenaccessoires_ Damenschals_T%C3%BCcher&var=&hash=item8269582c22#ht_6466wt_905

I could imagine you in the pink pokerdots ...... with a Gold at hand !

BUFFoon hey ? ....... you'll keep

I might have to check em out

ta

Chris

chris69
27-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Hi Naggs if you do orders to the Mudhole just get them there,i just one ever now and agian when i put a order in,originals not knock offs for $19,cheers chris.

Apollo
28-05-2012, 06:45 AM
The ones that SteveB mention don't have very good sun protection. Found out the hard way. Still ok for cold morning runs on the boats

NAGG
28-05-2012, 10:14 AM
The ones that SteveB mention don't have very good sun protection. Found out the hard way. Still ok for cold morning runs on the boats

Pretty pointless if they dont have a good UPF rating ........ but still ok for those cold winter runs up a dam or offshore

Chris

Si
28-05-2012, 11:33 AM
couldn't agree more ........ this is my third one - but the prices seemed to have jumped considerably since I bought my first one a few years back .

chris

Thats because they are really cool and you look like an awesome angler when you are wearing them.

NAGG
28-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Thats because they are really cool and you look like an awesome angler when you are wearing them.

true .........

Peter4
28-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Hey Chris,

Just ordered 3 High UV buffs from the UK for $50 delivered...;D

Cheers

Pete

Floating Rib
28-05-2012, 02:43 PM
If anyone is interested ive just ordered another 6 of the Columbia Sportswear Buffs from my mate in Michigan , worked out i paid $24 delivered when delivered with someother stuff for mine. Got 6 for $20 each so with post will be the same($24)can send a photo of mine if anyone wants, if not ill try and flog them on ebay. At least i know these are sunproof.
Cheers
Rib

Steve B
28-05-2012, 07:58 PM

Sunscreen Stevo!!!!!

Timbo12
29-05-2012, 01:16 PM
I'll definately take 1 of the columbia ones!

Mrs Ronnie H
29-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Hi
Checked them out once at local fishing store.
Went and got some microfibre fabric in a range of colors and made some. If I had of spent 40 bucks could of outfitted most of you guys on here.

The joys of having a sewing machine and being able to sew.

Ronnie

Floating Rib
04-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Guys i have 3 Plain Khaki Columbia Buffs left(4 gone to ausfish members already) cost me $24 delivered(cost $20 US + express post), cost you the same plus post about $2 if you are interested, will post on ebay in about a week if no interest.
cheers
Mick.

Stik-ugly
05-06-2012, 07:47 PM

The buff will also complement the brightly coloured crocs as well to really look like the awesome angler.