PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild safety

muzzburt
24-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Hi Guys,

Doing my first rebuild of an 80's fiberglass boat. Always pretty health conscious with that sort of stuff. I donned the protector respirator with Fiberglass filter, tyvek suit and set off. cutting the floor out with grinder bout half hour in, couldnt smell anything no dust irritation however started to feel alittle light headed so stopped right away. Few minutes passed and was feeling fine, no issues went about my day. About 5 hours later itchy eyes kicked in and got the clogged/running nose and couldn't stop sneezing went on for hours pretty scary stuff considering i did my best to be safe, off the docs tomorrow.

Nathan Tuskes
24-05-2012, 08:25 PM
I'd say you just have more of a reaction to the fibres then most... If your using a proper nose and mouth respirator with a pre filter and then aparticle filter you won't suck in any dust

cormorant
24-05-2012, 11:57 PM
The tears are perfectly normal. They are the result of the realization of how much money , time and effort you are about to encounter.
Have a fan going next time and amways be closer to it than your work and pay up and put a vac attachment on the saw / grinder or better still use a saw so you don't get the powdered fine dust. Putting a carbide biscuit jointer blade in the grinder designed for it gives a clean pretty dustless cut you just need to avoid any metal. The fume from under the deck can be putrid in some boats . You can use a compressor to make a simple positive pressure face mask as well.

All sorts of tricks like moisturising and then hot water shower to stop the fibres getting into you and causing irritation. .

Have fun

be watching for the progress photos.

chris69
25-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Id choose a cold shower first it closes your pours stopping things getting in, hot shower opens your pours,it just one of those things the glass particals are so fine when you take your suit of its in the air around you and it just falls back on you, your better of dusting yourself off in one area and going to another to take your protective suit off, polyester is the most horrible thing to sand and cut a vaccum cleaner right there sucking it up as you cut it is the best thing .