PDA

View Full Version : Flat Rock - Saturdayat

Zippidy
23-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Hello Team,

I took a coupl of mates out near Flat rock on Saturday. Got to Manly ramp at around 6ish and the Rogue started first try; off to a good start.

Heading through the beacons nice and slow ad went to speed up but it wouldnt let me get over 15k's. Pulled the engine cover off and gave her a few revs and realised it's, probably just a bit of sediment in the lines. Within 30 secondswe were on the plane. Bay got a little choppy for the little 14 footer but was quite comfortable sitting on about 30km. Got to the bar and was no problem until my mate said he needed to pee. No worriesmate, I'll slow down for you. "I cant piss on a movin boat mate, we're gonna have to go to shore". Landed on the beach and got a few waves over the back, had te bilge workingfor a minute then we wer back on our way.

We had a fish on a bit i wanted to try, started to drift toward the rocks and went tk move but the engine wouldnt start. Threw the anchor over so we stopped drifting and after a couple of minutes I realised the safety had come off. Damn, twice in 2 trips thats happened haha.

In the end got a couple of Trevalley and a nice Parrot. Had a nice ride home on a flat bay. Got passes by a cat just cruising. Put the foot down and i was sitting on 55km and it was pulling away with ease.

Sorry, no pics, i was too busy laughing at my mate having a spew. Sorry about spelling and grammer errors, writing this at the pub.

TimD
23-05-2012, 06:53 PM
I think i saw you out there, i was in a 6 metre Yalta jigging and throwing plastics around :thumbsup:

The cat that flogged you was probably rosco's or wavedancer's. Was it a kevlacat or an older yellow/white bruce harris shark cat ???

cheers tim :)

Zippidy
24-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Hi Tim,

Yes, I do remember seeing a couple of blokes jigging near where I was. Did you get anything?

Not sure what type of cat it was. It had a relatively big name down the side.

It was hard to type that report yesterday on a Tablet after 6 beers haha

Eug
24-05-2012, 01:53 PM
always wanted to head through SPB in my tinny, how do you find it?

out of curiosity what outboard are you running and how much fuel required for the return trip?

Zippidy
24-05-2012, 02:04 PM
always wanted to head through SPB in my tinny, how do you find it?

out of curiosity what outboard are you running and how much fuel required for the return trip?

I find it okay if I take my time and be sensible. I always wait for full sunlight before I even get anywhere near it. I've crossed it a few times over the last few months and had no issues. High tide was best as you didn't have to concentrate on the shallows as much. I've followed a couple of other boats through as well so that's always a bonus. There's always a spare battery in the boat. The last thing I want to do is need help out there and have to ask one of the other boaties.

I have a 70 on the back that's at least 15 years old. 50L fuel tank and I always take Jerry with 20L out with me. Last trip I think I used about 30L. The first time I trolled for a couple of hours and the 50L ran out about a KM from Manly ramp.

TimD
24-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Hi Tim,

Yes, I do remember seeing a couple of blokes jigging near where I was. Did you get anything?

Not sure what type of cat it was. It had a relatively big name down the side.

It was hard to type that report yesterday on a Tablet after 6 beers haha

When i was jigging near you i picked up a few small Mac Tuna :thumbsup:

Something with big teeth also grabbed my jig but missed the assist hooks, it left some nice gouge marks on my jig though.

The cat with the big name down the side sounds like rosco's, did it look like this -
http://liveimages.boatsales.com.au/boatsales/boat/private/bp5558366305323263715.jpg

Horse
24-05-2012, 06:07 PM
If you are getting close to the rocks then you could be inside the green zone. I used to love fishing the ground from Flat rock to the 7s but most of its closed now

Eug
24-05-2012, 08:30 PM
I find it okay if I take my time and be sensible. I always wait for full sunlight before I even get anywhere near it. I've crossed it a few times over the last few months and had no issues. High tide was best as you didn't have to concentrate on the shallows as much. I've followed a couple of other boats through as well so that's always a bonus. There's always a spare battery in the boat. The last thing I want to do is need help out there and have to ask one of the other boaties.

I have a 70 on the back that's at least 15 years old. 50L fuel tank and I always take Jerry with 20L out with me. Last trip I think I used about 30L. The first time I trolled for a couple of hours and the 50L ran out about a KM from Manly ramp.
70 on a 14ft! wow no wonder you use bugger all fuel... thanks for the info.

Zippidy
24-05-2012, 09:46 PM
When i was jigging near you i picked up a few small Mac Tuna :thumbsup:

Something with big teeth also grabbed my jig but missed the assist hooks, it left some nice gouge marks on my jig though.

The cat with the big name down the side sounds like rosco's, did it look like this -
http://liveimages.boatsales.com.au/boatsales/boat/private/bp5558366305323263715.jpg

Hey mate,

Yeh, that's the one. Absolutely flies.

If you are getting close to the rocks then you could be inside the green zone. I used to love fishing the ground from Flat rock to the 7s but most of its closed now

I was actually fishing around boat rock, and the spot was between the rocks and the shore. I had some good showing the first time out there, but no luck this time :-(

70 on a 14ft! wow no wonder you use bugger all fuel... thanks for the info.

Yeh, it's pretty old though haha. The boat's a Rogue, so about 14.8ft or something.

TimD
25-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Zippidy - Yeah rosco doesn't muck around in his Kevlacat, he certainly likes to give it some stick ;D

Your right mate it wasn't flat rock we saw you, it was boat rock not too far from the shore. I always get those small bloody islands mixed up. I only remember your boat cos my mate in the Yalta (Scalem on here) said geez thats a small boat to bring offshore.

Here is what i got on the jigs ;)

Zippidy
25-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I'd be more then happy catching them mate.

I don't really know how Jigging and all that fancy stuff works so I just stick with bottom bashing with squid haha

The rogue is relatively small, and you have to bash your way out there, but I only ever take it out in good weather. I watch the weather very closely and I reassess the situation when I get to the bar as to whether I'll go out or not. I like going to Boat rock though because I know there's fish there, there's heaps of other boats around in case I get in trouble, and I can swim top the shore if worse comes to worse.

kingcray
25-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Hey Tim whats that fish in the pic on the left? Is that a stripe on his head or a shadow

Smithy
25-05-2012, 08:06 PM
It looks like a high fin amberjack or what the Yanks call an Almako Jack. Looks like it's fright bar which most of the seriolas have. Check out the Al McGlashan Strike Zone videos to see how vivid it is underwater.

rosco1974
25-05-2012, 08:21 PM
zippidy,
if i had of known i would of pulled up for a chat...i think i had wound the cat out a little bit not quiet full noise but getting there..was keen to get in for a beer and clean the 9 squire we had onboard...hopein to get out again on sunday if the weather lets me..might be a little rough in the rogue though
cheers rosco

Zippidy
26-05-2012, 07:04 AM
zippidy,
if i had of known i would of pulled up for a chat...i think i had wound the cat out a little bit not quiet full noise but getting there..was keen to get in for a beer and clean the 9 squire we had onboard...hopein to get out again on sunday if the weather lets me..might be a little rough in the rogue though
cheers rosco

The rogue stays in unless it's really good weather.

The Cat looked impressive, would have been a much more comfortable ride than mine was :-)