PDA

View Full Version : Happy with mechanical repair

Rixthefix
23-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Hi all
I recently got some water in my boat, (thanks to some poor seamanship), my carburetta needed to be replaced, and Ian at Runaway Bay Marine Service, supplied and fitted the part, did a service, all at a good price. I was impressed with the website, workshop,standard of work, level of service, and professionalism of staff. I would recommend this business.

Spaniard_King
23-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Yep, Ians a good bloke, knows his stuff.

What engine have you got ??

WalrusLike
23-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Aw come on Rix.... Ya can't tease us with a vague 'poor seamanship' reference. Come on.... Fess up. :)

Also I am puzzled how water in boat creates a 'need new carby' situation.

Always happy to learn from others mistakes.... :)

Rixthefix
23-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Yep, Ians a good bloke, knows his stuff.

What engine have you got ??

Got a tinnie with a 20hp Honda, it will have to do until I can afford my next boat lol.

Rixthefix
23-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Aw come on Rix.... Ya can't tease us with a vague 'poor seamanship' reference. Come on.... Fess up. :)

Always happy to learn from others mistakes.... :).

Hi. Tis a sad tale, was over loaded with camping gear, Fraser Island, and went to beach the little tinnie, to sort out the loading, got close in lee side of island, was top of the tide, decided to reverse out a little, wasn't used to new tiller steer motor, copped some water over the stern, a few seconds later, i jumped overboard as the boat was swamped, was up to waist in water, and the motor got a small amount of water in it, but as we camped for 3 days, I couldn't sort out all the motor problems, and the carby got a little water stuck in it that ended up creating a blockage due to corrosion, my phone and stuff copped it too, had the tide been a bit lower all would have been well, the biggest lesson for me was the over loading, and approaching shore without enough risk assessment. I discovered that "disasters at sea" can happen very quickly. Cheers

hino310
23-05-2012, 02:58 PM

Always happy to learn from others mistakes.... :)

I have had water in carbies before, but i have never had to buy a whole carby when the water has only been in there a short time. Couldn't the carbie have been successfully cleaned out or are they very inexpensive to replace?

cormorant
23-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Chances are the corrosion is from ethanol fuel and water in fuel over a longer period. Check your tank and make sure you are not killing your new carby. I have seen 2 brands of small motors have issues with water corroding in the carbs and neither had had the motor dunked . 1 definately had rainwater going in the tank via the vent and the other was probably wet ethanol fuel dropping water in carb. the holes in the small carbs are tiny and the jelly acid sludge that forms is very corrosive. Both happened over a 3 month period.

Did your whole powerhead / motor go underwater?

WalrusLike
23-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks for sharing... Looks like you might have gained some good advice too. Win win... We are reminded not to overload and you get a heads up about a possible water issue.

Hope you find any problems and sort them... Good luck with it.

Rixthefix
24-05-2012, 11:00 AM
I have had water in carbies before, but i have never had to buy a whole carby when the water has only been in there a short time. Couldn't the carbie have been successfully cleaned out or are they very inexpensive to replace?

Hi. It seems that a brass tubular section feeding fuel, running vertically thru the throat cannot be removed, and was blocked, even with a sonic cleaning system, there was tiny particles of sand all thru the carb as well, the engine copped some water, it was underwater for a few seconds, the oil was emulsified, a full rebuild would cost too much, but Ian says it was running nicely after the new carb was tuned, had I flushed it immediately, it might have been ok, hopefully this time will be the last time I get shipwrecked

Rixthefix
24-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Chances are the corrosion is from ethanol fuel and water in fuel over a longer period. Check your tank and make sure you are not killing your new carby. I have seen 2 brands of small motors have issues with water corroding in the carbs and neither had had the motor dunked . 1 definately had rainwater going in the tank via the vent and the other was probably wet ethanol fuel dropping water in carb. the holes in the small carbs are tiny and teh jelly acid sludge that forms is very corrosive. Both happened over a 3 month period.

Did your whole powerhead / motor go underwater?

The motor was under for a few seconds, so wasn't,too badly drowned, I have drained the portable plastic tank, ready for the next fresh fuel, a big concern is possible later trouble with the electrics, but seem well sealed, and I. Washed them all carefully. Cheers

netmaker
24-05-2012, 11:12 AM
do you have an inline water separator/fuel filter between your portable tank and motor? if not, $50 spent now will definately have your new carbs loving you even more.

WalrusLike
24-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Ok to butt in? and ask:

I have the inline water filter but it's not Perspex like I would expect, it's metal so I don't know if it's got much water yet... How often do you remove them?

Tip them out and reinsert? Or do something more than that?

netmaker
24-05-2012, 02:15 PM
mine is clear so i can see any water. i think the instructions were to change filter annually and inspect at other times. just empty and reattach. guess it would depend on usage as to how often to empty.

WalrusLike
24-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Thanks for that... I was wondering if I should carry a spare but it sounds like no need.., Just empty and reinstall if a problem arises.

Rixthefix
25-05-2012, 11:20 AM
do you have an inline water separator/fuel filter between your portable tank and motor? if not, $50 spent now will definately have your new carbs loving you even more.
Hi sounds like a good plan, where is a good place to buy one, BCF, or similar?

netmaker
25-05-2012, 04:23 PM
bought mine from the boat shop at capalaba. they are also online.