PDA

View Full Version : yank boats

bobbyb
22-05-2012, 05:57 PM
hi all, whats the go with all these in ported boats ? most seem to be 2.59 wide.. what sort of bells and whistles do you need to tow them i qld.. and does it make a difference in prise of insurance ?

team_mongo
22-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Towing

Print out permit 220-th-12 from department of transport.
Flags on the boat.
Lights on.
Can't drive through CBD 0600-0900 and 1600-1900 Mon-Fri.
That's it.

It doesn't make a difference to my insurance.

TM

Muddy Toes
22-05-2012, 06:35 PM
1 Vehicles operating under this permit must comply with the following route/operating
conditions:
1.1 Vehicles are permitted to operate on all routes in Queensland unless signed as not
suitable for this vehicle/combination.
1.2 The rigid vehicle or towing vehicle must have:
 a gross combination mass (GCM) rating of greater than 4.50 tonne,
 sufficient gross vehicle mass (GVM) rating and sufficient towing capacity to
safely carry and/or tow the load.
1.3 Width of the vehicle/trailer (without load) is not to exceed 2.50 metres.
1.4 Length of rigid vehicle including load not to exceed 12.50 metres.
1.5 Length of combination including load not to exceed 19.00 metres.
1.6 Height of vehicle including load not to exceed 4.30 metres.
1.7 Brightly coloured red, yellow, or red and yellow flags, each at least 450mm long and
at least 450mm wide must be attached to the extremities of the load. The flags must
be clearly visible at a distance of 100 metres.
1.8 The driver of the vehicle must be able to see past any load carried. Under the
provisions of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Vehicle Standards
and Safety) Regulation 2010, Schedule 1, Part 4, sections 24(5) and 24(6) the rear
vision mirrors may project up to 150mm, or for retracting mirrors up to 230mm,
beyond the widest part of any load being carried.
1.9 Any load carried must be restrained in accordance with the ‘Load Restraint Guide’ as
called up in the Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Mass, Dimensions
and Loading) Regulation 2005
1.10 Travel is not permitted within the area bounded by Coolangatta in the south, Ipswich
in the west and Tewantin in the north, and the Central Business District of any other
city between the hours of 6.00am to 9.00am and 4.00pm to 7.00pm, Monday to
Friday inclusive.
1.11 Travel is not permitted if, due to circumstances such as fog, heavy rain, smoke or
dust:
 visibility is less than 250 metres in the daytime, or
 the headlights of a vehicle approaching within 250m could not be seen at night.
1.12 If a vehicle is already travelling when the visibility is reduced to the limit above, the
driver must drive to the nearest safe parking area, and wait until visibility improves
beyond that level before continuing to travel.
1.13 Vehicles must have current registration.
2 A copy of this permit must be carried at all times when operating under the conditions of the
permit and produced to an authorised officer when requested.
3 The Department of Transport and Main Roads reserves the right to amend or withdraw this
permit as policy is further developed.
4 The holder of this permit shall indemnify the Department of Transport and Main Roads and
its employees, against any claim, action or process for damage or injury that may be

bobbyb
22-05-2012, 07:16 PM
wow thats mind blowing for just 90mm. do people do all this stuff, i can't recall ever seeing any boats on the road and does it get policed or don;t they know? plus if you don't do it and the sh*t hits the fan you insurance proberly wont cover you. just 90mm .

Muddy Toes
22-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Ya better believe it some of us do it mate........

I see a few boats around that I know for a fact are over width without the flags and lights on but each to their own.

I won't risk it.It's bugger all to fit a flag on each corner and turn your headlights on each time.