PDA

View Full Version : Removing old in-hull transducer set in 2pak

moondancer
22-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Hi folks,

looking for some ideas how to safely remove an old in-hull transducer. It looks like its been set in 2 part epoxy, so rock solid. I'm upgrading sounders and I would like to put another one in its place, as I've been getting fantastic readings this way at speed etc., but a bit concerned that any too rough a handling of the epoxy might reult in damage to the underlying fibreglass. (i.e. I dont think belting at it is a good idea!)

Also, (of course) its in a real awkward spot to get to near the transom. Not much space to work in.

Cheers in advance for your ideas.
Lawry

lucee81
22-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Paint stripper.... but not sure what that would do to your fiberglass I would check that before putting it on. Once gummy remove transducer and clean area.

Waraba Mick
22-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Hi Lawry, just been down this road myself, humminbird puck transducer set in 2 pac in the Wahoo, i grabbed a solid sharft screw driver and hammer and gave it one sharp hit on the edge of the 2 pac. It came off with the transducer still set in the 2 pac and left the inside of the hull unmarked, maybe i was lucky but it worked for me!

Mick.

moondancer
23-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Thanks lucee & Mick....I'm thinking a combo of both your ideas agt tis stage....paint striper to soften it all, then a little 'pressure'! Might have a chat to Haies people forst re efect on fibreglass..after all..they wee the ones who probably fitted it originaly 12/ 13 years ago

Anyone else had experience (successful or otherwise!!) with these approaches??
Lawry

ScottB
23-05-2012, 05:21 PM
When I took one of mine out, it was a hammer and big chisel, a couple of whacks saw it come free, but it did bring a bit of flow coat with it. Then it was just a case of mixing up some flow coat and painting it back on, no big issue at all...

JJV555
23-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Just went through the same process on a Seafarer Vagabond and it was very very hard to get out, l assume mine was set with possibly the 3M 5200 silicon or something very similar i basically had to make a tool up to get the locking nut off and then slowly slowly l worked the silicon away with a screwdriver and knife, all in all it probably took me around 6hrs a little each night after work, it eventually came out with no damage to the hull but the tranny went straight into the bin.

Good luck

timeout
23-05-2012, 09:34 PM
can you get a dremil in there? I would stay away from the paint stripper .

FishHunter
24-05-2012, 06:47 AM
I doubt paint stripper will dent it or the glass. Heat will soften it though.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

moondancer
24-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys...timeout, I .need to have a look if a dremil will fit (then need to get one!) Fishunter, i'm also thinking about using a heat gun to start then maybe try tapping at it to see if theres any give. mainb issue with the heat gun is that the transducer is only 6" from my s/s fuel tank..wouldnbt want you guys to be reading about me in the courier mail obits!! I'm not overly concerned about damaging the transducer..its probably going to be binned anyway. 12 years old, and the unit its attached to has a huge sunspot in the middle, so you cant read the sounder properly anyway (good excuse for a new one!)