PDA

View Full Version : Best excuses for buying more fishing gear

mikeyh
20-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Greetings all,
What are some of your best excuses for buying more gear? My wife will see the Visa statement and say "why do you need to buy more fishing gear.....you have a cupboard full of it and you never even go fishing"

I have now learnt to get everything sent to work and buy in small amounts....once it gets into "the cupboard" it is pretty safe as it all looks similar to her.

Cheers, Mike

FishHunter
20-05-2012, 01:48 PM
I want it.

To shut her up ask her why she needs so many pairs of shoes. Always works for me

Jarrah Jack
20-05-2012, 02:10 PM
If someone is ever smart enough to call a tackle store household essentials they'll make a fortune.

Todddo
20-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Buy online, most shops have random names that appear on bank statements. That's my tip! :D
Oh and also say it helps relieve the stress from work, another one that works for me lol.

Muddy Toes
20-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Buy online, most shops have random names that appear on bank statements. That's my tip! :D
Oh and also say it helps relieve the stress from work, another one that works for me lol.

Maybe Craig Thomson could help with a few ideas to put on the credit card statements..........he seems to know a bit about stress relief too.

Todddo
20-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Maybe Craig Thomson could help with a few ideas to put on the credit card statements..........he seems to know a bit about stress relief too.
Hahahah!!!!! Good one mate lmfao

PinHead
20-05-2012, 02:43 PM
why do you need an excuse? Are you that scared of your wife? If I lived like that I would be out that relationship.

Lucky_Phill
20-05-2012, 03:35 PM
yep.... simply grow a pair !!!!

LP

Skippy_
20-05-2012, 04:16 PM
why do you need an excuse? Are you that scared of your wife? If I lived like that I would be out that relationship.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

La Vida
20-05-2012, 05:05 PM
you dont want me to look bad in front of my fishing buddies do you, this is just proof that you love and support me.. use there lines back at em

wayno60
20-05-2012, 05:52 PM
I think women call it Retail Therapy.....but if its got to do with fishing, boating or camping it obviously an essential item so NIKE.......just do it..

seastorm
20-05-2012, 05:57 PM
He who dies with the most fishing gears wins!
I hate to loose

mikeyh
20-05-2012, 08:32 PM
The classic that I read somewhere on here was "if I die I only hope my wife doesnt sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it".......so true

Humdinger
20-05-2012, 08:34 PM
just buy it and while she is cracking the shits about it go and use it . it only takes them a couple of days nagging to realise you've gone fishing .
my wife only talks to me on thursday afternoon anyway:stupid::smash:

wayno60
20-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Hum, Payday????

Muddy Toes
20-05-2012, 09:36 PM
It's easier to get forgiveness than permission. 8-)

sandbankmagnet
20-05-2012, 10:10 PM
I must say that while I agree with the "grow a pair" theory, I'm bad when in a tackle store. I went on Saturday to buy 2 things and came out with 8. And didn't get one of the two things I went for because they didn't have the right model. I can sort of understand how women feel when they shop for clothes/shoes. It's sorta fun to spend money like that. No issues though. I don't need to explain anything to her.

Chas & Clarry
20-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Thankfully Trace is like a kid in a lolly shop when we go into a tackle store, so I don't have to worry :)

Tim

theoldlegend
21-05-2012, 06:05 AM
It's easier to get forgiveness than permission. 8-)

That's a bit deep isn't it Anthony? Are you writing a book of quotes or something?

TOL

wayno60
21-05-2012, 06:30 AM
Change, Muddy Toes to the Philosopher..

Muddy Toes
21-05-2012, 07:32 AM
That's a bit deep isn't it Anthony? Are you writing a book of quotes or something?

TOL

Change, Muddy Toes to the Philosopher..

Must be something to do with being a bit Chinese.....coming out with corny one liners.

I can't seem to grow one of those long, grey goatees to stroke while I ponder these thoughts on living a happier and healthier life but I'm sure if I could get hold of some dough I could probably write that down on a little bit of paper and bake that message in to a small biscuit item.

Mrs Ronnie H
21-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Hi Guys
I don't have to make excuses to myself. I love doing the rounds of the Tackle Shops with Hubby in toe. Was even visiting my regular one when we were talking and a fella made a comment about shopping for tackle and how he had to explain to the wife. Now salesman piped up and commented on how I spent more time in the shop than Hubby, always bought alot and probably knew more than alot of women he knew.
Made me feel real good especially when the fella said-I want one of those.

Why make excuses anyway.

Ronnie

frawlz
21-05-2012, 05:31 PM
when i spend money on guns, fishing gear and other toys, my wife spends money on her horses so it sort of works out. Otherwise, if i know i'm gonna spend more than i should on something i wait until i mess something else up really bad then spend the money so that she gets mad at me for that and doesn't notice the other thing.

manchild
21-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Dont need an excuse .I feel sorry for those who have to ask for permission .
George

Bull
21-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Pay Cash for everything. Even my boys 8 yrs and 5 yrs know about secrete mens business and knowing that Mum doesn't need to know about every thing we buy. It only upsets her if we tell her so we choose to protect her and just hide it in the shed once we get home.

Buddha57
22-05-2012, 10:13 AM
I must be one lucky dude :) I don't need an excuse. My partner loves fishing as much as I do. She owns the boat and cleans the fish. We often can be found searching through tackle shops and usually buy gear for each other as pressies. Whether beach, boat or on a river bank she accompanies me an we have a ball.

Zippidy
22-05-2012, 10:19 AM
I don't need excuses. However, we've got a trip to the UK and US booked for Christmas and New Years so I have to be a bit more careful. However, I've paid for the whole bloody trip so she better not complain.

Looking forward to Vegas! I told her if I turn $3k into $20k whilst I'm there then I'll marry her. I'll be pulling out at $19,500 :-)

netmaker
22-05-2012, 10:24 AM
I'll be pulling out at $19,500 :-)

thats very prudent. you dont want any unplanned surprises;).

my favourite out of all the things "i had to have" was the esky. when the old one wasn't big enough any more it was a shoe in to upsize.;D

lucee81
22-05-2012, 10:28 AM
just buy it. im married to an accountant so no use trying to hide anything. Although with all the work on the boat at the moment the fishing tackle has taken a back seat.

mitch_wahoo
22-05-2012, 11:38 AM
No excuses needed here :) My girl love fishing just as much as I do. The only thing is, she doesnt like is helping clean the boat/fish when we get home.

mikeyh
22-05-2012, 02:54 PM
For what was supposed to be a light hearted question.....I see we have got the whole range of replies even including some relationship and personal advice. Lighten up guys.......I dont believe I ever used the words "asking for permission" at all ;-).....I am actually really lucky that she loves boating and is really keen to get another big boat in a few years time when my boys are a bit older. Gotta love the "secret mens business" Bull..

cheers all

No Excuses
22-05-2012, 03:15 PM
If i don't win the battle by being straight up with her I just bring up the $200 haircuts she gets done.

barra71
22-05-2012, 03:37 PM
The only way to catch bigger and better fish is to keep up to date with the new gear..

mikeyh
22-05-2012, 06:38 PM
....another classic...is that new? No, i have had it for years

shy guys
22-05-2012, 06:59 PM
My dekie shy guy 2 excuse for not bringing fish home and buying new tackle is we just can't stop them so I need to upgrade

wayno60
23-05-2012, 12:47 AM
last night the ol girls asked me if we were going to the sanctury cove boat show this year....when she asks i never say no...