PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Grand Marlin

Tangles
19-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Im not the most practical of guys and many thanks to Pete for taking the time to walk me through how to do a Gelcoat repair, great advice and many thanks for the tips....

it came out pretty good for a first time not perfect as small ...and it was a lot easier than i thought it would be,

And Pete, i bought a Dremel and sneaked that in the garage as it has other uses other than drilling, apparently it can polish jewellery, like i said getting a drill was a bridge too far:D Not allowed near the boat with a drill otherwise unhappy wife,

today i spent and hour in Bunnings, almost a first,, there is a lot of shiny stuff in there:-X

Been great actually doing a bunch myself on the boat lately and learning how to do it,

If a numbskull like me cando it?

Got a couple of days off now, might be down the Pin tommorrow/night or Monday

cheers
Mike

finga
19-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Haven't you got a battery drill yet??
Bloody hell man.

Cheers then
Alfred.

Grand_Marlin
20-05-2012, 03:47 AM
One small step for Tangles, one giant leap for... Anyway :D

It was funny encouraging Tangles to tackle this... He wanted to do it himself but then kept saying things like "but I can't, but the missus said I can't, I don't have a drill or anything..."
It was sorta like taking someone bungy jumping for the first time who didn't want to go... Then pushing them off the platform :o
See.... It wasn't so bad ;D
Now you have started the power tool collection I bet by the end of the year you will have a drill, grinder, jigsaw and an awesome fit out on your boat 8-)

Cheers

Pete

PinHead
20-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Im not the most practical of guys and many thanks to Pete for taking the time to walk me through how to do a Gelcoat repair, great advice and many thanks for the tips....

it came out pretty good for a first time not perfect as small ...and it was a lot easier than i thought it would be,

And Pete, i bought a Dremel and sneaked that in the garage as it has other uses other than drilling, apparently it can polish jewellery, like i said getting a drill was a bridge too far:D Not allowed near the boat with a drill otherwise unhappy wife,

today i spent and hour in Bunnings, almost a first,, there is a lot of shiny stuff in there:-X

Been great actually doing a bunch myself on the boat lately and learning how to do it,

If a numbskull like me cando it?

Got a couple of days off now, might be down the Pin tommorrow/night or Monday

cheers
Mike

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. .knowing Mike as well as I do, this can be one scary ride ahead. Wait until his eyes catch the shine and glimmer of a nice new sabre saw..or an angle grinder...he will be trimming his toe nails with a new 9".

finga
20-05-2012, 07:19 AM
It opens up a whole new frontier for Mike doesn't it Pete and Greg.
I think a tool trip may be in order seeing the lad has a few days off.
Stuff Bunnings. We'll go to Tradetools at Capalaba and then The Dewalt Shop in Kingsford Smith Drive (Yje ladies there are so helpful and they have lots of battery drills and even SAWS and they always give me a free gift. I think they feel sorry for me for some reason :-?) and then Carbatec on the way home. That should do for the first 1/2 day of tool collecting I reckon.
Why not make it a whole shopping experience and pickup TOL along the way??

Hey Pete. I spoke to Tangles yesterday and he was rabbiting on like a kid getting his first 'special hug'. He sounded so proud of his achievements and so he should be proud of what he's done. As you said......One small step for Tangles, one giant leap for....
It all starts with one small step. Next thing we'll know is he'll be building his own boat.
So thanks Pete for talking him through the process. Many people would not have taken the time to do this. You have changed a life with that one phone call.

Pinhead....you idiot. A 9" isn't for toenails. 9" grinders are for taking the cracked skin off the heels of your feet. These are for doing the toenails.
Instead of one horseshoe shaped thing laying about the floor you get hundreds, if not thousands, of the pointy buggers laying about. They drive The Cook insane trying to pick them all up off the dining room floor they do.
http://www.tradetools.com/products/TTD25N
http://www.xttools.com/images/6.jpg

Cheers Alfred.
PS: Sorry Bec :(

PinHead
20-05-2012, 07:35 AM
you better include Nut & Bolt at W'Gabba...by the time he has cut and drilled a myriad of holes etc in the boat he will need the fixings for all those holes. Just think of all the bling he could bolt onto the new boat..dowriggers, outriggers, auxiliary motor bracket, radar on top, sounders and gps all over the place..50 rod holders (could take the entire collection out on one trip that way).

Grand_Marlin
20-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Yes Finga, proud of him for having a go... Even prouder of him for asking advice first!

There is nothing more satisfying than a big tool.
collection ;D

Hey Tangles.... Where's the pics of the finished job???

Cheers

Pete

Marlin_Mike
20-05-2012, 10:05 AM
He doesn't need Trade Tools etc Alfred aka scotty. Just buy the Renovator thingy off the TV ads, and that other one the 5 Point Cordless Tool thingy. You can do anything with those 2 thingys, including making morning tea and coffee. Oh yeah, while your in the phone orderign them, buy a magic bullet to make your daily smoothies in.

Mike

choppa
20-05-2012, 03:12 PM
80250,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or maybe something like this Tangles

Tangles
20-05-2012, 07:04 PM
there are a lot of good suggestions here! i like the idea of grinders, and choppa, mate thats what i have been using for the last 30 years, so the Dremel is definitely a step forward!

mowerman
20-05-2012, 08:08 PM
I see it will take a little longer to mow this lawn on friday.

Will have to check out the "repairs".

A question?
Why were the repairs needed?
What did TOL do?

Also.
Before you start collecting power tools, you need a bigger shed.

Rod