PDA

View Full Version : Bep gen 2 contour switch panel help

blackjew
19-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Hi i have a BEP GEN 2 contour switch panel question for you it has 6 switches and 3 inline fuses DO I NEED TO ADD MORE FUSES TOO .
now off each fuse is a positive wire do i join all the positives together and join to the main positive wire coming of the battery.
Now does each switch have to join from a single connector to a double piggy back connector then another double and so on and end with a single .is this correct please.::)

captain rednut
19-05-2012, 08:08 PM
yes the fuses all join together to the main battery positive and the three are enough fuses for the panel. and you should always have a fuse or c/breaker at the power source (battery) to protect the cable between. depends on your load requirements as to the size of fuse required maybe a 20 amp??
cheers cr

blackjew
19-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi CAPTAIN rednut thanks heaps for that ,yep i got the fuse after the pos on the battery.
What about the pins do i use doubles to after a single to connect them all together please.

Grand_Marlin
20-05-2012, 06:20 AM
After answering Blackjew's PM, it appears he was given some poor advice from where he bought the panel...
He was apparently told to piggyback all the cold side of the switches together, which is why his comments above sound very confusing.
If he did that all the accessories would turn on at once ::)

The BEP switches are top quality but I don't agree with the way they set up their fuses.
They piggyback 2 switches together with one fuse, or to put it another way you have two accessories sharing one fuse.
I firmly believe each accessory should have it's own individual fuse.
Therefore I add 3 more fuses to the panel and remove the piggyback links.
If an accessory calls for a 5 amp fuse then this can only be done with an individual 5 amp fuse.
If you link 2 products that need 5 amp fuses together and share a single fuse then the fuse you use has to be bigger than 5 amp to handle the extra load (say 10amp) then you have exceeded the manufacturers recommendations for that product.
Also, if there is a problem and the fuse blows, you have taken out two accessories.
In saying that, many of the big boat builders will use a single heavy circuit breaker to run all electronics on the flybridge.

Maybe I am just being "over protective" ;D ::)

Cheers

Pete

blackjew
20-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Thanks so much Pete for clearing that up and explaining it to other members.The last pannel i set up on my tinnie i got good advice from the netmaker ,but this BEP one just totally through me
so the 3 15amp fuses that come with the Bep would they be ok for my HDS ,LSS,AND baitpump,then 10 amps for the nav lights and bilge pump ,and aug light.
Cheers again for your professional help.
My tinnie is under the hammer on ebay and once the reserve is met it will be sold.

Grand_Marlin
20-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Nope, not ok.
Look at the fuse rating on each device and put the correct size fuse in.
If it isn't written on it look it up on the net... Most manufacturers have product installation available online.
For instance the HDS & LSS both use 3 amp fuses.
I don't know the sizes of the pumps but typically they are 10 ~ 15 amp
Nav lights are typically 5 amp.

It is great that you are doing it yourself, but please make sure you get it right...

Cheers

Pete

blackjew
20-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks again Pete and thanks to you and the netmaker i can do it myself and save a heap of money .All connections are heat shrinked and liquid leccy tape .
Many thanks again
Cheers Rob

blackjew
20-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Gday yall well all the fuses are fitted and ready to conect to the studs.dad went to lift the motor and totally freaked out there was this loud swearing coming from the backyard.I went out side and hes ranting and raving ,could hardly speak.What the hells wrong .you must have cut the wires for the tilt.Hmmm no why would i do that .you cut all those wires off .not the tilt or dash lights though .Have you connected the battery ROFL thats the problem.