PDA

View Full Version : Rod/Reel setups for liveaboard fishing Sth GBR

Si
17-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Gday, I know this sort of thing gets covered a bit but i just wanted to list my rod and reel set ups for fishing the southern GBR (Swains) in July to see if I'm on the money and get experienced ausfishos advice. I have been before so i do have some good knowledge about this but sometimes i get tunnel vision or tend to overcomplicate things. Last time i think i used the wrong rod/reel set up and got bricked a few times. I guess I'm looking for the best avaiable package to take.

My setups are as follows

T-Curve Deep Jig 400 OH (rated to 37kg) matched to a Talica 16. I want this set up for most of the bottom bashing i will do as its a nice heavy short rod with a great reel with big drag. I'm thinking about running approx 80lb braid with 80lb fluorocarbon wind on or just a three way swivel set up. Will be chasing reds, RTE, trout, perch, etc. live baiting also.

Northfork Composite Gary Howard 30lb matched with a 8000 stradic. running 40lb braid (sunline super PE?)and also 40lb mono (Schneider Pink) on a spare spool. Used to throwing soft plastics and having a bit fun with lures and maybe some floatlining. windon or PR Knot with braid and straight through for mono. Leader Im not real sure about?

T-Curve Bluewater Spin 15-24kg with 24kg low stretch platypus pink for float lining for mackees, live baiting and trolling (?). Spheros 14000 reel. Maybe throwing poppers and stickbaits. ????

I will be taking some premade wire traces with hay wire twists 69lb for trolling xrap 30's, mack baits and live baiting and other mack lures. . deep v reefmaster hooks, some PE tackle flys, jig heads in 7/0 8/0 1 to 1.5 oz. lead.

Does anyone see any problems with these setups? Appreciate any responses.

Cant wait to go. :P

SIDE NOTE - I think there is two spots still available on our charter for 20th to 27th July on Kanimbla as of last week. Let me know if you are interested.

Cheers

reggy
17-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Sounds like you have it covered. If I changed anything, it would be the weight of the mono on your Spheros to 15 kg. 24 kg might be a bit hard to cast with.

theoldlegend
17-05-2012, 02:41 PM
I'd contact Tangles and see what he'd take for a trip like yours.

Divide his list by 20 and you'd have plenty........... :D

TOL