PDA

View Full Version : Magic day off SPB Sat 12/5

gofishin
16-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Normally I only post reports for decent fishing trips (i.e. 1770, meaning once a year mostly!), but after such along absence from fishing (from my boat anyway) I went out last Sat (12/5) fora fish with two mates. We didn’t catch a lot of good fish, but it was such abrilliant day on the water – and the fish were biting – I just felt like sharing! A PB Ambo for me was the highlight, and made the day even better!;D

Yep, it had been 11 months since I had been fishing – excluding 2 days as decky on a mate's boat at 1770 in Oct. Why so long??? Kids sports, cr@p weather, ~6 months of renos, and then more sports and more cr@p weather!>:( I had done a bit of social boating and overnighters with the family,including an O/N'er to Lady Musgrave in Jan – but no fishing!

Do you know how hard it is to be at LMI, and be that close to some good red grounds, but to not wet a line???? The weather was pretty bad that week/trip and the missus & kids would have been hurling before my bait even hit the bottom, so I did the right thing …with a tear or ten in my eye.:'( Anyway, back to the story…but you could imagine how keen I was for a fish!

For a change I arrived at the ramp really early, so had some time to waste…1 hr+ actually! Launched the boat & munched on some brecky & a banana while fiddling with my GPS & waiting for my crew & the other club boats to turn up. Kept the banana skin for ammo & dispatched it while waiting inside the bar – a hefty throw saw it land in my mates splash-well (sorry Stevo, but you were the closest boat mate…;D;D). I was just amazed I could throw it that far! They waved at me...or at least I think they were waving… :P The bar was a non-event even with a bit of run out left over, but that was to be expected with the good conditions all round.

We tried some ground in ~80m ~E of the bar that produces some nice pearlies, parrot & the odd snapp. The fish were biting, and there were plenty of throw-backs, but nothing to rave about size-wise, and no parrot. I was fishing heavy/big baits and my mates were leaving me behind. The current was ripping and our drift was 1.8-2.1kn even with the chute! I think there were 5 fish on board before I scored a keeper – an OK pearly, so I dropped to lighter tackle after a while to try & keep up with the boys.

When things quietened down I moved to a spot ‘somewhere near’ ;) the northern 35’s,where the drift-line saw us pass along the ledge (over 3 good marks) – every single time! Couldn’t have asked for a better drift (except for the speed), and it didn’t change all day. Only problem was when the winddropped (and hence the chute was no good), we were skating along at up to2.7kn! Still, we were passing along the same line, catching fish, getting the odd decent squire past the throw-backs... but it was hard keeping your bait down unless you really loaded up with lead – but that reduced the bites!

We did connect to a few good fish, but unfortunately could not stay connected. Trick was to get down there & watch the sounder, then when over a mark/show, count ~30-40s &free-spool. Worked more times than not for me (incl for my Ambo)!

A double saw me hook up to a decent fish, and my mate hook up to nice snapp on light tackle – trouble was they headed in different directions! Luckily the mini knobby was netted just before I lost all 300m of 30lb braid, so we quickly gave chase, making the spool look a bit healthier. After 20 minsor so the gaff went in to a nice Ambo and I was stoked.

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad140/BrendonTait/Misc%20fishing%20photos/IMG_0815.jpg
As you can see, conditions were terrible for most of the day!

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad140/BrendonTait/Misc%20fishing%20photos/IMG_3289.jpg
My PB Ambo. A good reward for so long between fishing trips I reckon!;D

We stayed in the same area till we had to pull the pin around 1400, as one ofthe boys had to be somewhere on land by 1600. Unfortunately the fish had just started coming back on the chew though, so we left...errr...reluctantly! The sea was dead flat, with hardly a ripple on the bar too. Think we ended upwith 13 or 14 fish in total, so not a bad feed!

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad140/BrendonTait/Misc%20fishing%20photos/IMG_3293.jpg
The boy’s fish before we parted ways, so they went home happy too!

I just hope I don’t have to wait that long between fishing trips again! I’m fishing the BT Hookup in June, so this year I might even post 3 reports…:)

Cheers
Brendon

outwide1
16-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Good read Brendon,at times we forget that it isn't just about how many fish we get,but the good times had
being out there in the blue water office.
It does something for the soul and certainly becomes painful waiting to get out there between crap weather and the the everyday chores life throws up.
Well done,
Mick;)

gofishin
17-05-2012, 11:04 AM
...at times we forget that it isn't just about how many fish we get,but the good times had
being out there in the blue water office.
It does something for the soul and certainly becomes painful waiting to get out there between crap weather and the the everyday chores life throws up.
Well done,
Mick;) Aint that the truth Mick!
Cheers

TREVELLY
18-05-2012, 06:12 PM
I am amazed that ambo didn't just take you to his favourite rock and per-twang! :P

Well done nice fish - congratulations - thanks for sharing. :)

By the way you did still take the banana with you ;)

With results and weather like you had you have every reason to be encouraged to go again soon.

gofishin
18-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks Trev, & yeah have been busted up in that area quite a few times. Unlucky fish - lucky angler! He actually spent a lot of the time mid-water, so that was good!

Yep, the other 'nana was with me all day! Forgot to eat it and dispatch it though - I had many opportunities too.:( I have them with me more times than not - done so all my life, but normally I don't play up like that ;D. Once in a while is fun though;).

Might do a suicide dash up to 1770 for a fish for the first w'end of the M&G. Lookout for the 'nana boat boys8-)
Cheers

MEG-A-BITE
24-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Well done, nice AJ and they do go hard got to love AJs.