PDA

View Full Version : overnighter friday 11-12 may cape moreton

popgun19
16-05-2012, 09:36 AM
With great conditions, deceided to do my first overnighter off cape moreton, with a mate of mines brother, Moses who was keen to try a few marks he had collected over the years. Fished around the Cape for the afternoon for a just legal green jobfish that was released to get a bit bigger and a couple of small black tipped cod that were also returned. With his marks not producing it was time to move.

Moved to shallow tempest on dusk for 2 keeper snapper and a gold spot bubberlip (catfood for dayoo's cat) then i got dusted by I think a spangled.... looking good so decided to anchor up and burley. With next to no current the fishing was slow. Decided to get some sleep, woke about 3:30 am a caught a moses perch. Woke up my deckie about 5am it was time to up anchor and move.

We drifted various marks I had around shallow tempest and I was getting to the bottom using a zero sized sinker. Over the rest of the moring I caught a nice 3.9kg Brown maori cod, red throat and Moses caught a nice eating sized estuary cod and a good sized slatey bream with us both geeting bitten of a couple of times with good fish on.

After lunch conditions were still good so we headed for deeper water to a mark I caught snapper on a couple of years ago, the result was 4 drifts and 6 snapper in the box to finish the bag. We deceided to do another 3 drifts as catch and release and landed another 3. The northerly breeze and current was pushing us a long and a rapid rate, more fish would have been landed if I was not too lazy to deploy the para anchor to slow our drift.
Decided to head home leaving them biting.

Conclusion the snapper are schooling up in the 60m - 100m depths and try fishing these areas on the tide changes.

Cheers,
Brian

outta line
16-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Nice feed cheers for the report... The current was ripping us along at 4kmh on the 65 and 85 m grounds off the pin on sat .. All the sea anchor was doing was giving us a steady drift line .. Hope this weekend is better with new moon.... Cheers mick

dayoo
16-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Good report Brian. Cats liked the blubber lips (Painted Sweetlip).;) Keep trying and you will eventually land some 7kg plus snapper.
Another few months and we will be pulling them in off Fraser.;D

Cheers
Barry