PDA

View Full Version : Best place to purchase/dispose of flares in the Redlands.

Scott Ashe
16-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Hi all,

When I purchased my new "Allycraft 425 Reelmate" in June 2009, I purchased an inshore flare kit of part of the safety gear. Is it true these need to be replaced every 3 years.? If so can anyone recommend the best place in the Redlands (QLD) to purchase a new set and how much they may be.? and also where you do need to go to dispose of the old ones.?

I purchased my boat from Karee Marine Rocklea, and it's just a bit hard to get to now as I don't drive a motor vehicle.

I haven't posted for a little while, my last fishing trip was an evening/night trip in mid April, and we did reasonably well bringing home a nice feed of bream (well over 25cm) and a mowong. I'm keen to do it again soon, when my deckie returns from hawaii.

Cheers
Scott

rainbow runner
16-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Hi

Flares do have a lifespan of three years and must be replaced prior to the expiry date. The expiry date is stamped on the flares

Maritime Safety Queensland has a habdy reminder sticker to record the expiry dates to replace your flares.

Flare disposal - Redlands Area

Coast Guard - Boat ramp off Banana Street, Redland Bay

Water Police - 60 Hamilton Street, Redland Bay

Coast Guard- Manly Boat Harbour, Trafalgar Street, Manly

Volunteer Marine Rescue - William Street, Cleveland

Water Police -2 Howard Smith Drive, Lytton

Also refer Maritime Safety Queensland website

Scott Ashe
16-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks rainbow runner, for your input, I'm at Redland Bay, so I won't have to go too far.

I just realised in my fishing report I forgot to mention that I was fishing the back of Coochiemudlo Island.
Cheers
Scott

charleville
16-05-2012, 12:17 PM
You need to check the date on those flares before you go out again. The date stamped on flares is the first thing that any inspection by police or fisheries will look at. I have been inspected many, many times on the water and even at the ramp at 2.30 am after I have launched the boat and it was sitting in the water but I had not actually set foot on it myself. They went for the date on the flares first.

Previous threads on Ausfish have identified that, apart from having current dates stamped in your flares, it is actually illegal to hold on to expired ones.....BUT.... the illegality is in accordance with mining legislation, I vaguely recall, and the police appear to be forgiving if the old flares are just the most recent out of date ones. ie not really old ones. You must have a set of current dated ones on board though.

Many of us like to hold on to the old ones in case we need them in addition to the up to date ones.

I am laboring the point about checking the date on the flares because even when you buy them, they will usually be a couple of months old anyway. Retailers won't get fresh stocks in every week.

copie
16-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Hey scott purchase from the likes of Bias/BCF and most boating and takle/bait outlets. You can buy them online i believe and have them delivered.
Dispose of them a minimum of 20m from your house,car, boat etc....... just joking as per rainbow runners advise.

Mark

QF3 MROCP
16-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Just check when you buy them on-line. Flares are rated as Dangerous Goods Class 1.4 and most on-line retailers will refer you to their actual store location for pick-up.

On the Northside of Brisbane, Coast Guard Redcliffe QF3 is a drop off point for them. They are open from 0600-2100 Mon-Thurs & 24hrs Fri 0600-Sun 2100

Stik-ugly
17-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Flares for disposal also can be dropped off at any Queensland Fire & Rescue station