PDA

View Full Version : A house set up for fishing holidays

pueter66
15-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Hey Guys, One thing that has always frustrated me and my fishing matesi s trying to travel away with my boat in tow is the lack of accommadation that is suitable unless you are camping and finding anything close to the boat ramp is a pain. So I got off my arse and did something about it and bought and renovated a self contained two bedroom cottage on a quarter of an acre so you can park your boats or two boats for that matter less than 100 meters to a beach and fishing wall and only 400mtrs to the boat ramp. I have decked it out with new plush furniture and electronics, stereo, flat screen tv for sport. I am installing a filliting table and an outdoor spa for the missus. I have made the property dog friendly by enclosing part of the yard for outside dogs ( another problem when I am travelling is my dog has to stay at home. Do you blokes have any ides what more I can add to make it more fisho friendly. I will be renting it out for nightly and weekly rental with discounted rates for the longer you stay. I have started a website if you want to check it out just type in Keppel Sands Luxury Cottage in goggle and it should pop up. There are heaps off great fishing spots in this location whether you want to go up a creek or out to the reef. Oh and its opposite the Keppel Sands hotel if you want meals and a beer. Any feedback as to what would make it better let me know. Cheers pete

STUIE63
15-05-2012, 03:07 PM
I did it years ago buying a cottage at the south end of the Hinchinbrook .I don't rent it out though as I like everything in the cupboards when I go there . all I have to bring is bread ,milk, bacon and eggs . basically just the perishables . the beds are made so we can rock up all hours of the night . the boat lives in a shed there and is always fuelled at the end of a trip . best decision I ever made in my life .
Make sure you have enough beds for a swag of people to stay

choppa
15-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Hey Guys, One thing that has always frustrated me and my fishing matesi s trying to travel away with my boat in tow is the lack of accommadation that is suitable unless you are camping and finding anything close to the boat ramp is a pain. So I got off my arse and did something about it and bought and renovated a self contained two bedroom cottage on a quarter of an acre so you can park your boats or two boats for that matter less than 100 meters to a beach and fishing wall and only 400mtrs to the boat ramp. I have decked it out with new plush furniture and electronics, stereo, flat screen tv for sport. I am installing a filliting table and an outdoor spa for the missus. I have made the property dog friendly by enclosing part of the yard for outside dogs ( another problem when I am travelling is my dog has to stay at home. Do you blokes have any ides what more I can add to make it more fisho friendly. I will be renting it out for nightly and weekly rental with discounted rates for the longer you stay. I have started a website if you want to check it out just type in Keppel Sands Luxury Cottage in goggle and it should pop up. There are heaps off great fishing spots in this location whether you want to go up a creek or out to the reef. Oh and its opposite the Keppel Sands hotel if you want meals and a beer. Any feedback as to what would make it better let me know. Cheers pete

now THAT is a top idea,,,,, I should build a table for Mrs Choppa,,, thanks Pete for the idea

don't forget about the client's that may have kids,,, trampoline or something to keep them occupied as well goes well

choppa

pueter66
15-05-2012, 03:27 PM
I did it years ago buying a cottage at the south end of the Hinchinbrook .I don't rent it out though as I like everything in the cupboards when I go there . all I have to bring is bread ,milk, bacon and eggs . basically just the perishables . the beds are made so we can rock up all hours of the night . the boat lives in a shed there and is always fuelled at the end of a trip . best decision I ever made in my life .
Make sure you have enough beds for a swag of people to stay
Hinchinbrook now thats a nice spot good on ya mate sounds tops

pueter66
15-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks Choppa!

ozynorts
16-05-2012, 07:20 PM
That is a sweet pad Pete. As for what to add to make it better, free beer and those girls from the adds to serve it would be nice.

Crunchy
16-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Yep that would be nice one day! What about one of these?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1311&_nkw=commercial+ice+maker&_sacat=See-All-Categories

marto78
16-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Yep that would be nice one day! What about one of these?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1311&_nkw=commercial+ice+maker&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I have been looking at these for the last few weeks but am just trying to figure out how I can hide it from the missus.

upstart
16-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Great looking spot and a great idea. Make sure the hot water system is up to the job. The ladies wouldn't be impressed if the hot water ran out after the stinky blokes have cleaned up after a long day of fishin.
What about the Barbie? Gas or wood fired? There's something special about cooking over a real fire. Its something that the city folk don't get to do too much these days.

cormorant
16-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Nice place I hope you do well out of it and get regular decent folk who do longer stays. If I'm up that way you'll get my business.

Never amazes me with rentals just how careless / dirty clients can be. make sure you are not in love with any furniture etc as others may not respect it and take a huge bond. Be really careful with anything that could be seen as unsafe/ not maintained like play equipment and anything else you provide meets standards. Some people will blame you if their kid gets hurt etc etc. Make sure you are insured to the hilt and get a accountant and insurance broker to check you have the right cover.

Don't rent for single nights - more trouble than it is worth doing the tidy up etc
In your agreement make sure you list max people as 4-6 adults or whatever and put a charge for extra adults over 4. No Parties No more than XX people on premised so it doesn't become a party spot. Your neighbours are your best watchdog so look after them and ban flushing with the motor started etc.

Website seems slow to load - might be my end

Mates have similar down south and have a shed for their own boat and a lockable caged carport for clients boats so they can just put it in and don't bring all the wet smellys stuff inside .

good on ya

deckie
16-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Hey pete, nice place. makes me wonder why the hell i still live in slummy skidney.

Just one tip for the website...looks great but WHERE IS IT ? Know what i mean ?
If i didnt know better i wouldnt have a clue if its in QLD, NT, WA...where in QLD, nearest town/city etc.
Just imagine NSW clients happy to do a long tow might need a bit more info..hard to tell the missus u've found the perfect spot when u cant say where it is.
Browsers are lazy.
Ignore if i missed it.
Ice maker a damn good idea but wouldnt make the difference between booking or not. Looks damn near perfect.

Steve.

deckie
17-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Just ignore that^^^ was too stupid to look under "about us"
Sorry pete

Rodman
17-05-2012, 02:08 PM
I bought an onsite caravan at Rainbow Beach and renovated it.
Used to rent it out but some clients are dirty buggers and do not clean showers,
toilets and stove just to name the main areas now I do not let anyone stay except family
We love it because we can rock up anytime and the bed is made clothes are in draws and cupboards
and only have to bring milk and bread

Ken

pueter66
18-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Great looking spot and a great idea. Make sure the hot water system is up to the job. The ladies wouldn't be impressed if the hot water ran out after the stinky blokes have cleaned up after a long day of fishin.
What about the Barbie? Gas or wood fired? There's something special about cooking over a real fire. Its something that the city folk don't get to do too much these days.
I went with a gas Barbie it was less hassle in keeping the fire wood up. But it is a nice bbq

pueter66
18-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Good Stuff cormorant. Hopefully the website nots going to die on me. I am going to put a shed on it within the year. But with so much cash going into the place and getting it up and going it wont be untill late in the year.

pueter66
18-05-2012, 06:07 AM
OOPS, thats a bloody good point I will update the website. The place is Keppel Sands near Rockhampton in queensland. It is a 30 min drive form Rocky, Emu Park and Yeppoon. So you can go to shopping centres and resteraunts if you need to. But the town of Keppel sands is a little town only around 300 people it has a pub, postoffice, takeaway and shop. You can catch or buy bait there and buy ice across the road. Most people just walk everywhere. The speed limit is only 40 km an hour virtualy no traffic and no one on the beach. I you spot anymore errors or omissions let me know. i will look forward to seeing you all. I reckon i could swing a discount if you rang and said you were from Ausfish Good Pick up

pueter66
18-05-2012, 06:23 AM
I bought an onsite caravan at Rainbow Beach and renovated it.
Used to rent it out but some clients are dirty buggers and do not clean showers,
toilets and stove just to name the main areas now I do not let anyone stay except family
We love it because we can rock up anytime and the bed is made clothes are in draws and cupboards
and only have to bring milk and bread

Ken
I am keeping a list of clients who rent and if you do the right thing you can re rent if you dont respect the rules or the house or are generaly dirty buggers. You will never be able to restay. My aim is to make sure that each and everytime somebody stays to ensure that they get a great stay each time and the people that follow them also get one.

theoldlegend
18-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Sounds like a great idea!!

Do the Breaka Girls come with the package?

TOL

WalrusLike
18-05-2012, 11:52 AM
If you are going for fishos and you don't want noise from engine flushing you might think about a flush tank setup.

Quieter and better for all concerned than muffs. Good luck with it.

pueter66
18-05-2012, 12:32 PM
If you are going for fishos and you don't want noise from engine flushing you might think about a flush tank setup.

Quieter and better for all concerned than muffs. Good luck with it.

Actually I have put a flush tank in for that very reason. Cheers Pete

pueter66
18-05-2012, 12:34 PM
The Breaka girls? Alas no. Buy it and they will come! didnt work

WalrusLike
18-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Some constructive criticism:

Your site uses Flash so parts of it are not visible to all the users in the Apple universe. Think about all those IPads and iPhones that cant see some of your site.

The layout of having cottage details in the About Us section goes against web norms and many visitors will therefore miss your main points.

Better if that text is on front page or under Features heading.

Your slide show was done using a template that has 'Some text' in an area that you are meant to replace with your own text... Looks a bit silly.

You said that you have set up a flush tank.... That's a feature you should mention on your site. Probably there are others. Maybe I missed it.

Looks like a nice place... I wish you well and mean to help with the above comments. Good luck.

ozynorts
18-05-2012, 03:35 PM
I am keeping a list of clients who rent and if you do the right thing you can re rent if you dont respect the rules or the house or are generaly dirty buggers. You will never be able to restay. My aim is to make sure that each and everytime somebody stays to ensure that they get a great stay each time and the people that follow them also get one.
A good way to track visitors is to request their registration details. That way if they book in a different name you can still check to see if they have stayed before.

pueter66
18-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Some constructive criticism:

Your site uses Flash so parts of it are not visible to all the users in the Apple universe. Think about all those IPads and iPhones that cant see some of your site.

The layout of having cottage details in the About Us section goes against web norms and many visitors will therefore miss your main points.

Better if that text is on front page or under Features heading.

Your slide show was done using a template that has 'Some text' in an area that you are meant to replace with your own text... Looks a bit silly.

You said that you have set up a flush tank.... That's a feature you should mention on your site. Probably there are others. Maybe I missed it.

Looks like a nice place... I wish you well and mean to help with the above comments. Good luck.

Thanks for the input that is helpfull. I went back onto the editing site and reloaded the photos and used their text editor just as I was supposed to but that annoying white bit keeps poping up in the photos, I will have to call the experts and see whats going on.
My wife seems to be able to view the site no worries on her iphone, maybe she has some sort of app. The flush tank is only a new addition so I havent had a chance to put it up on the website. plus the non fisho"s might think its some sort of old age toilet from the dark ages. I could probably take a photo of someone flushing their motor out and put that up to avoid confusion. All observations are welcome both positive and negative, I am trying to make this place great so something I miss or dont know about is taken in the helpfull context that it was delivered.

WalrusLike
18-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Excellent... Glad to help.

Here is what my iPad and iPhone looks like

Flash is unavailable to the Apple world unless you are using a jail broken device.

I really think the About us section is wrong. Look at other sites and About Us is like a bio section.

You have a mix of Bio and Cottage Features.

Generally the more pics the more confident people are to go there. My advice is create a Gallery section and plonk a zillion photos there.
Good luck with it all.

WalrusLike
18-05-2012, 06:29 PM
I can see the photos... Just not the video.

pueter66
19-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Excellent... Glad to help.

Here is what my iPad and iPhone looks like

Flash is unavailable to the Apple world unless you are using a jail broken device.

I really think the About us section is wrong. Look at other sites and About Us is like a bio section.

You have a mix of Bio and Cottage Features.

Generally the more pics the more confident people are to go there. My advice is create a Gallery section and plonk a zillion photos there.
Good luck with it all.
You need to download dobie flash player 10.1 apparently it is suitable for apple applications. I confirmed it with the it guy but its apparently what my wife has as well you do not need to have a jail broken phone. I am waiting on some more pics but they wont be posted up untill next week. My wife is decorating in there this weekend and doing a great job i hear. Cheers Pete

pescados
20-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Looks very very nice.
Hope the tennants appreciate your work and look after the place.

Boat Hog
20-05-2012, 06:28 PM
The holiday pad looks great! ;D

A couple of things we look for when travelling to fish;
Boat Parking - off the road - level. Prefer not under trees.
Clothes dryer?
Dishwasher?
(supposed to be a holiday!)

Nice to have;
Fish cleaning station (covered from sun/rain).
Chest Freezer or extra fridge freezer for ice, bait, fish, booze.

What's the local boat ramp like? Is it tide dependant, big boats okay?

All the best, cheers,

WalrusLike
21-05-2012, 07:43 AM
You need to download dobie flash player 10.1 apparently it is suitable for apple applications. I confirmed it with the it guy but its apparently what my wife has as well you do not need to have a jail broken .......

Not sure what kind of advice your IT guy is telling you but 99% of Apple users will see the same message as I did. If you don't want the Apple users to see your content then leave it as Flash... But my advice would be use HTML 5 instead.

Have a quick read of this:

http://www.techgurublog.com/2012/03/18/is-the-ipad-3-flash-compatible-tech-guru-blog/

pueter66
21-05-2012, 08:26 AM
The holiday pad looks great! ;D

A couple of things we look for when travelling to fish;
Boat Parking - off the road - level. Prefer not under trees.
Clothes dryer?
Dishwasher?
(supposed to be a holiday!)

Nice to have;
Fish cleaning station (covered from sun/rain).
Chest Freezer or extra fridge freezer for ice, bait, fish, booze.

What's the local boat ramp like? Is it tide dependant, big boats okay?

All the best, cheers,
Yep it has parking not under trees i know the frustration of leaves in my boat, It has a dishwasher, washing machine, but no dryer at least not yet. It has a fish cleaning station and a flush tank for your boat. It has a full size fridge freezer because we hait those liitle hotel things, You can buy ice across the road from 3 dollars a bag. There is fuel in town but unleaded only. But it is only 15kms to a servo that has deisel. A outdoor spa which at the moment is still sitting in the shed, Flat screen tv Ipod 400w stereo and heaps of space for the kids. The trees are full of black cockatoos, white cockatoos, lorrikeets,galahs we have bird baths and a feeding station on the property. Acroos the road is the local hotel with meals and cold beers, meals start from 10 dollars wednesdays are two for 14 dollars. There is a local store for dvds and food and a takeaway. There are two boat ramps thet are both suitable for big boats. The one on Pumpkin creek the Coast guard use for their large cat. Though that one is no good on low tide but okay if you are heading up the creek. The other one I use I have a 6.1 meter boat. I can still beach launch when the tide is right out and the ramp in usable from half tide onward. Rosselyn bay 6 ramps with lots of parking is 20mins away towing a boat and is accessable at all times. I hope this helps cheers Pete

Boat Hog
21-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Yep it has parking not under trees i know the frustration of leaves in my boat, It has a dishwasher, washing machine, but no dryer at least not yet. It has a fish cleaning station and a flush tank for your boat. It has a full size fridge freezer because we hait those liitle hotel things, You can buy ice across the road from 3 dollars a bag. There is fuel in town but unleaded only. But it is only 15kms to a servo that has deisel. A outdoor spa which at the moment is still sitting in the shed, Flat screen tv Ipod 400w stereo and heaps of space for the kids. The trees are full of black cockatoos, white cockatoos, lorrikeets,galahs we have bird baths and a feeding station on the property. Acroos the road is the local hotel with meals and cold beers, meals start from 10 dollars wednesdays are two for 14 dollars. There is a local store for dvds and food and a takeaway. There are two boat ramps thet are both suitable for big boats. The one on Pumpkin creek the Coast guard use for their large cat. Though that one is no good on low tide but okay if you are heading up the creek. The other one I use I have a 6.1 meter boat. I can still beach launch when the tide is right out and the ramp in usable from half tide onward. Rosselyn bay 6 ramps with lots of parking is 20mins away towing a boat and is accessable at all times. I hope this helps cheers Pete

Thanks. Sounds like the perfect spot for next years holidays! ;D;D
Sounds too good to be true.... now about a refund policy if you don't catch any fish?? ;):P

pueter66
22-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks. Sounds like the perfect spot for next years holidays! ;D;D
Sounds too good to be true.... now about a refund policy if you don't catch any fish?? :P
on ya You must work for my wife.

pueter66
14-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Just a quick thankyou to the ausfish members for this input on this project the house is going very well through word of mouth and I have been very happy with the patrons some of them ausfish members. So far only downer I have had so far is that the next flush tank I build I will chain it to the tree the first one only lasted a couple of weeks and it was gone. Putting in outside hammocks now. Cheers Pete

pueter66
14-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Pictures didnt work for some reason check out, type in "keppel sands luxury cottage" on google for pics
Sorry pete
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/misc/pencil.png

Chimo
14-08-2012, 03:51 PM
These attachment don't open, I'm supposed to report it to the administrator!

pueter66
14-08-2012, 04:00 PM
These attachment don't open, I'm supposed to report it to the administrator!
Thanks mate I will edit them out stuffed if i know why they didnt work cheers pete

Cheech
15-08-2012, 10:38 AM
With the About Us, if you could add in a map showing your lacation, that would be good. I had to google map the address to see where it was. Looks like it is only a couple of hours further than 1770. What is the fishing like in that area? May have to think about towing the boat up one day.

Sheik
15-08-2012, 12:46 PM
I have been looking at these for the last few weeks but am just trying to figure out how I can hide it from the missus.
just buy a new boat, then she won't give a thought to the ice maker...
That's a cracking boat at Divide Island Pete, is that yours? very nice...
the cottage is a great idea. I think a good tele is an idea, in case the weather goes bad, plus a selection of dvds and a heap of paperback books also.
I reckon a pad/slab where you can wash the boat down maybe with a tap right there.
The Dudds have always appreciated plenty of freezer space to put crab bait etc. Also i've often wondered about feedback after people have been. A diary is a great idea, but also if you contact people by email afterward and give them a rating out of ten for how they left the place against the average rating... it would give people an idea of whether they have cleaned up enough post holiday.
In that email you could also invite people to give feedback and that will alert you to any issues going on. They might also send photos or perhaps you could offer a 10% discount next trip if they give feedback or send photos. you could take those photos and print them at hardly normal or somewehere and put them up on a brag wall. I alwasy like to check those things out.
Some people like fans rather than aircon and they can be cheaper too so keeping a few of those around the place can save you some coin in power bills?
just a few ideas which may or may not be useful.
regards jim

pueter66
22-08-2012, 04:27 PM
just buy a new boat, then she won't give a thought to the ice maker...
That's a cracking boat at Divide Island Pete, is that yours? very nice...
the cottage is a great idea. I think a good tele is an idea, in case the weather goes bad, plus a selection of dvds and a heap of paperback books also.
I reckon a pad/slab where you can wash the boat down maybe with a tap right there.
The Dudds have always appreciated plenty of freezer space to put crab bait etc. Also i've often wondered about feedback after people have been. A diary is a great idea, but also if you contact people by email afterward and give them a rating out of ten for how they left the place against the average rating... it would give people an idea of whether they have cleaned up enough post holiday.
In that email you could also invite people to give feedback and that will alert you to any issues going on. They might also send photos or perhaps you could offer a 10% discount next trip if they give feedback or send photos. you could take those photos and print them at hardly normal or somewehere and put them up on a brag wall. I alwasy like to check those things out.
Some people like fans rather than aircon and they can be cheaper too so keeping a few of those around the place can save you some coin in power bills?
just a few ideas which may or may not be useful.
regards jim
Thanks Jim I had a guest book on the website which provided some really positive feedback but had to shut it down(I only had five pages to use on the web site and needed a map) The photos of wall of fame is a great idea and will include that in my welcome letter if anyone wants to send their photos. I will put them up on a page. The fans are a good idea as well but we have always found with the old style cottage it is very cool and has a beautifull breeze that blows through. The slab is out at the moment due to budget constraints but is sure to be included hopefully as early as next year. Yep the boat is mine and a great work horse it is 175 honda 4 stroke on back. Trouble is getting the time to use it. Weather has been glorious up here at the moment last two weeks have been sub 10 knots blue skys and blue waters. caught a nice salmon off the rock wall who needs a boat. Thanks for your input much appreciated. CHEERS pete

Sheik
22-08-2012, 05:13 PM
no worries mate, hopefully will get up there to use it at some stage.

pueter66
25-08-2012, 10:01 AM
no worries mate, hopefully will get up there to use it at some stage.
Hey Sheik, have updated my web page to include a hall of fame page it will be there on the slides page. Thanks for the good idea I just need people to send in pictures that have stayed now. PS salmon are going off here at the moment. Were smashing them off the beach. Cheers Pete