PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Report

Blane11
15-05-2012, 08:06 AM
I don't usually post fishing reports here, but seeing as I enjoy reading everyone elses, it was about time to reciprocate.

Headed out off Ballina on Sat with the plan to go wide and fish a mark we got some bar cod on a few weeks ago.

After getting some live bait in close and catching a couple of dirty mactuna we eventually headed out approximately 35km.

Ended up with 1 cod, some green eyed sharks and couple of Nannies. Still waiting to find some bigger versions. This cod kicked all the way to within a short distance of the surface whereas previous ones have given up early into the fight. Pulled up on the way home to let a spanner crab tray soak for an hour and ended up with 7 crabs, 6 of which were undersized.

Its not the easiest pulling them up by hand but thems the rules.

Cheers

Floating Rib
15-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Hi Blane thanks for the report, be interested to know more about how you fish for the Bar Cod, water depth, bait etc.
Cheers
Rib

Blane11
15-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Hi Rib,

Not really an exciting method, just a standard bottom bashing rig using 150lb leader. We fish with a couple of circle hooks. Used the mactuna caught earlier, and some livies. We did lose some livies but the cod was caught on the tuna.

We did get good conditions last time, only needing a pound of lead and fishing straight up and down, however on the weekend there was a bit of current and the wind made it difficult. We ended up reversing into it to keep the line relatively vertical.

As for depth, we fish 200m and deeper. I'm new to this deep fishing so still have ALOT to learn, and hopefully we'll expand the variety as we find new ground.

Cheers