PDA

View Full Version : trailer springs

wind rider
14-05-2012, 03:40 PM
boat trailer springs on the weekend some how jumped out of the u bracket on the way to the ramp. what would have caused this and how is it possiable for them to come out. speed 50 km good road. only way to get them back in is to remove boat of trailer and undo front bolts move axle forward slide springs back in and put bolts back. but what will stop this from happing agian. ( hope not on highway ) tyres were touching the mudgurds. lots of smoke. what a day:'(

thanks

Noelm
14-05-2012, 03:54 PM
happens all the time, either the load rating of your springs is way out, you reversed up a gutter and the soft Chinese springs doubled up and flipped out, or any number of things causes it, you will need to jack the trailer up by the frame so the spring and axle hangs down, then use whatever you can to lever it back in, or do what you said, undo front bolt and place the end back in the slider and put the bolt back in (with difficulty)

Dan5
14-05-2012, 04:27 PM
My old Oceanic trailer with slippers did the same thing a few times......POS......boat off trailer........lift up frame undo bolts re insert slipper and bolt back together....

The only way i could see to fix this is either cut off and re-weld the slipper mount or maybe try better springs.........problem is cut/weld.....lose galv protection................Heavy springs......lose ride quality for the boat leading to cracked hulls.

My new trailer has eye to eye rockers.....problem solved.

Dan

myusernam
14-05-2012, 07:52 PM
you can drill a hole and reposition the bolt further up the edge of the holder to get it further back up the spring. (you do have a bolt?)

johncar
14-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Yeah, assuming you have a regular style slipper box on the slipper end of the spring it may be too far apart from the fixed end.
Jacking up the trailer frame until the trailer wheels are off the ground will reveal how much spring is still inside the the slipper housing. I suspect there may be very little or the slipper end of the spring will just fall out.
If you have a full slipper box then you may need to cut it off and reweld it a bit closer.
You said jumped out of the U bracket but it should either be a full box section or a upside down U bracket with a bolt through it to retain the spring end.