PDA

View Full Version : Saturday - East of Moreton Island

Micadogs
14-05-2012, 03:28 PM
A little bit late.

Left Manly at 6.00am on Saturday morning. The bay was flat, the shingles were flat and the bar was flat.

Turned left after the bar to the live bait spot. Plenty of boats there, none of us getting much. I did get a dozen "pilchards" I will call them. They were silver on the bottom, blue on the top, biggish eyes and only about 6-7 cm long, pretty thin also.

As i forgot to bring back up bait, I went to the coffee rocks and got some bait. Got enough slimey mackeral and yellow tail to fish for the day.

One thing, when jigging for live bait, was the amount of flathead we pulled up. Each drop, both the deckie and I, caught one if not two flathead. Tiny little flathead, 10 - 15cm long. We could have gone home and told everyone we caught 20+ flathead that day.

As I had to work so hard to get bait, we didnt have out first drop until 8.30am on the 33 fathom mark. Double hook up on nice sized pearl pearch. Couple more drifts for nothing.

Moved out to the 35 fathom mark. Four drifts and four snapper for me. Not huge in size, largest was 51cm and smallest was 45cm. The deckie also got 2 snapper, and lost about 8. He was using very light gear and each run would be met with a bust off on the reef. (he was using my lead also!!!!!) expensive day for me.

We did notice what could only be called an undercurrent. We could drop the lines, using a 3oz egg sinker to 70 metres of water. Line would go straight down, no angle at all.

After a few minutes of drifting, the lines would really start to get an angle on them and you would need to let out an additional 30 metres of line to stay near the bottom.

It didnt matter if we increased lead size, deployed or didnt deploy the para anchor. Same thing happened, straight line down, then after a while they would start to drift.

Anyone had this happen before?? Know what this is??

All in all an excellent day. There were heaps of shows on the sounder. the later the day got, the more picky they got until a complete shut down at around 11am.

Regards Adam

tropicrows
14-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the report Adam, IMO we need to wait for the water temp to drop a bit more before the snaps and pearlies get more active. Good however to see the shows, last time I was out there the shows were not that good. So maybe the fish are now moving in.

Bobpen
14-05-2012, 06:11 PM
This is link to currents. The bottom current should be slower due to friction.
http://oceancurrent.imos.org.au/Brisbane2/latest.html