PDA

View Full Version : Walkaround/centre cab boats

ozynorts
14-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Hi All.
We are looking at getting our first big boat and we like the design and layout of the above boats.
I know there are alot out there but we want to keep costs down as the budget has to cope with buying a vehicle to tow the boat.
I have found quite a few of the alluminium builders already but don't really know many glass builders who do these boats. Any suggestions on manufacturers.
The reason I am asking about the glass boats is I may have to look into the second hand market and my gut feeling is that a glass boat over 5 years of age would be in better shape hull wise than a ally boat. I am concerned that ally boats only give a weld guarantee of a couple of years as a rule and I am concerned that a boat over 5 years is potentially a liability because of this.
I am happy to be proved wrong but as I said we have never owned anything more than a dinghy so don't want to make a huge mistake. Understand that we will probably make mistakes along the way but am trying to limit these as much as possible.
I have tried searching on the site but musn't be using the correct terms and not getting the matches to help at this point in time.
Thanks in advance.
Haydn

Noelm
14-05-2012, 12:30 PM
any quality boat will last a hell of a lot longer than 5 years, ally or glass, in glass second hand, I think you will be looking at a US boat, in Aluminium?? don't know of anyone that has built many.

FishHunter
14-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Hooker build some nice looking boats with no wood in them.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

ozynorts
14-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the info guys

Greg P
14-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Hadyn - if a plate boat is going to have problems because of the way it is built it will show up long before the 5 years - look at the current Noble thread. My Fisher is coming up to 5 years old this year - no issues ever and looks as good as it did when new - quality product when Col was running the show. Be up for a repower before any issues with structural integrity. I would be more concerned about buying a 5 year old glass boat than a well built plate only in relation to people drilling holes for accessories etc & not sealing them properly and allowing water in. You just cant be 100% sure what you are getting without really going over transom. Then again if you get a bargain and are prepared to rebuild you will have a "new boat" for not really a lot of extra money.

Just decide what you really want to use the boat for first and that can then cull a lot of brands out of the picture be it plate or glass.

Walkaround glass boats - Haines Hunters, Evolution, Hookers as above and there was a guy building a nice looking boat down at Sanctuary Cove - was a test in F&B edit - Archer 650 http://www.boatmags.com.au/pdf/previews/BTSENG321_prev.pdf

ozynorts
14-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Should have added that as a guide we are trying to keep to a max of 40k for both a boat and car. The car has to be reasonable also as it has to be able to be used for family school runs etc. There is some room to go to 50K but not really wanting too.

llourd
14-05-2012, 02:42 PM
i have taken a liking to this design myself and as such have been looking around for them. i have found that as far as ally goes noble and formosa make good ones and for glass its hard to go past trophy. in any case, go to boatsales.com.au and search on keywords like walk around or centre cabin to find all that are out there.
the other thing i have found is that it is hard to make a good one of this style less than 6 meters. all of the ones i have seen that are around 5.4 to 5.8 had to make too many functional and comfort sacrifices to fit in this type of design.

ozynorts
14-05-2012, 03:40 PM
yep I am finding the same. Also as they seem to be fairly new to Australian builders there aren't too many on the second hand market. The yanks seem to have a different interpretation on the phrase walkaround also. You don't seem to be able to walk around on the deck on the imported ones that I have seen so far.

Stuart
14-05-2012, 04:11 PM
40K less the tow vehical isnt going to buy much in the way of a good sized offshore rig. If thats all you can afford then it is a buyers market..... happy shopping.

ashleyhj74
14-05-2012, 04:50 PM
I paid a sh1tload less than $40k for my 7.5mtr centrecab/walkaround :) Granted, i've gotta change a couple of things, ie: roof its to low, wasnt meant for someone 6'5 tall. Modifying the trailer (thats more personal preferance than actually needing to do it). As someone who looked daily on Ebay, Boatpoint, Trading Post, boatsonline, etc, etc for years since he was stupid enough to sell his last boat, believe me, you'll find something eventually. Just be patient, i looked at a few over the years since i sold my last boat (also a centre cab, Spearfish 21, great boat, shouldnt've sold it, another story......). I love the layout of the centre cab, fish all the way around it, you cant go wrong. Honestly couldnt see myself ever goin back to a cuddy/runabout/etc design, i'm way to bit to fit through anchor hatches ;)

ozynorts
14-05-2012, 04:50 PM
yep I figure I am pushing it uphill but I am going to hang in there and see what pops up. Might have to sacrifice a little on the tow vehicle but still going to be tough to find a good boat.

Matthew Thompson
14-05-2012, 09:50 PM
There is a 6m stingray plate center cab for sale up in cooktown for 24k with a 140 2stroke yamy on the back its a 1999 model boat I seen it out the reef on anzac day, looked pretty good

wrxhoon
14-05-2012, 10:00 PM
I have a USA built W/A, you can walk to the front of the boat without holding on. She is a Trophy 2002 WA, great boat with 200 optimax and aluminium trailer with S/S electro-hydraulic brakes, great offshore boat.
I will be selling it as soon as I get my G/W but it will be out of your price range .

Good luck in your search.

ozynorts
15-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks Mathew. I will look into it.

Matthew Thompson
16-05-2012, 02:20 PM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cooktown/boats-jet-skis/6m-stingray-plate-alloy-centre-cab/1001380613
Here it is

ozynorts
16-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Hey thanks for that mate. it is some boat alright. will be chatting to the minister for finance about this one for sure.

Argle
16-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Or you could look at something like this? Plenty of room in the walkaround and its starting to get more into your price range, maybe with some negotiating might do ok??

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=12489640

Cheers

frankgrimes
16-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Or you could look at something like this? Plenty of room in the walkaround and its starting to get more into your price range, maybe with some negotiating might do ok??

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=12489640

Cheers

Classic - "First owners are very keen to sell as not very good at fishing"

Mick

copie
16-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Hi Haydn have a talk to Jason at Offshore Marine Master in caloundra i have known jason for many years and he builds and sells mostly centre cabs. Not suggesting your budget can get you a new one but maybe he has customers that may want to upgrade and need to sell first. Plently of reviews on his boats in the likes of F&B magazine and i am sure he has plenty of customers that can give you some of there thoughts.
www.offshoremarinemaster.com.au (http://www.offshoremarinemaster.com.au)

Mark

Matthew Thompson
17-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Haha Grimsey. Homer asleep at Grimseys funeral 'Marge change the channel this is boring' hahahaha possibly my favourite Simpsons moment of all time.

frankgrimes
17-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Haha Grimsey. Homer asleep at Grimseys funeral 'Marge change the channel this is boring' hahahaha possibly my favourite Simpsons moment of all time.

Best episode ever.

Mick

ozynorts
17-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Hi Mark, Thanks for that. sounds like a good idea. He builds some nice boats.
Hey Argyle, yep we have that one in our sights. Have to do some negotiating but it is at the top of the list.