PDA

View Full Version : What you reckon? Savage Avenger *PICS INCLUDED*

zac320
13-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Hey guys purchased my new boat today, some may say im crazy because i didnt test motor or boat but i go back offshore tomorrow and wont be home for a month and i just had to have it.
Its a 1977 Savage Avenger with a 1984 Mercury 90HP Blueband (I thinks its a 84, serial is (6441776).

zac320
13-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Also came with a bilge pump,
Bimini
Flair kit
Bay lights fitted
Oar
2 petrol tanks, 23litre plus reserve 13litres
Boat Cover
Tilt Trailer
3 life jackets

rosco1974
13-05-2012, 03:11 PM
nice little boat mate.am sure you will get some joy out of it when u get home.should get up and go
cheers rosco

zac320
13-05-2012, 03:13 PM
I paid $2400, it came with a receipt for a reco motor for $3650

rosco1974
13-05-2012, 03:59 PM
seems like you got a good deal mate...i would of thrown it in the water somewhere this morning for a quick run...a month is a long time to wait to give it a run

zac320
13-05-2012, 04:03 PM
All the fam was away and i lost me car license and me misses has a lowered falcon on 20s, i wouldnt trust that down the boat ramp! haha
But i know what ya mean mate

WalrusLike
13-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Looks good... Hope it gives you lots of pleasure.

I am just a newbie so don't take my word as gospel... But I reckon you could do with an extra guide rail (don't know proper name) ahead of the wheels either side.

Just so in a crosswind it doesn't go off the centre line. Maybe ask others because I could be wrong.

In any case I hope you have fun with it.

zac320
13-05-2012, 05:18 PM
The bloke who sold it to me his daughter had been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis so he said he had not used the boat for about a year, what should I do before I go running the boat?
Thanks

Blackened
13-05-2012, 05:54 PM
G'day

First thing would be to test run the engine at home with new FRESH fuel with a quality oil (quicksilver for eg.)

Keep an eye on how far you go........ a total of 36L won't get you too much range with the old blueband

Dave

astro66
13-05-2012, 07:08 PM
mate she looks like its been looked after...its in good nic for its age...id be giving the whole thing the once over...cracked hoses/fuel lines ...change the oil in the leg...clean and regap the plugs...lube all the cables/steering...wouldnt take long and go for a nice easy run..

zac320
13-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Yeah I went on Iboats and purchased 3 carb kits, I have a ktm300 and ive rebuilt the engine and carby on that before so I should be able to do the outboard no worries, I'll just rebuild em so then I know there all fresh and new plugs and oil and fuel all round

cormorant
13-05-2012, 08:42 PM
I like good old honest boats that haven't been molested. If it is a goer a sgood as it looks you have done well.

Compression test it, fresh fuel ( never ethanol) ,fresh modern 2 stroke oil ( is it on double oil for the run in) charge battery , check gearbox oil level, Check gear and throttle linkages and steering link, run it on muffs at home so you now it runs and is pumping water and not overheating. Check engine alarms work.

Sort all your rego, revs check and ins ect . Go to the ramp when another mate is taking their boat and give it a cautious run , check speed, revs, battery charging, tilt, trim. etc You a tell a lot with a Mark 1 ear with a 2 stroke outboard and mark 1 eyeball when they are running on the water.

Then go get it fully serviced and have any problems discovered on the test run fixed so know what you are starting with. a fresh comp test, colour of plugs, thermosat, impeller ,confirm tume.

It's a 2 stroke - if it gets hot, runs lean it will die. So look after cooling and fuel and it will be a keeper. Flush it .

If it was a well serviced/ rebuilt motor it may have clean carbs ( well I hope) and new kits in em especially if it was just rebuilt. Hope they have jetted it correctly

Check with the seller as people often have old spare props and other stuff that for simplicity they didn't throw in at the same time.

Si
13-05-2012, 09:01 PM
I paid $2400, it came with a receipt for a reco motor for $3650

well that motor looks good. Thats a good buy for a recond engine and fibreglass boat. Hopefully the floor and transom is fine. That fuel tank wont give you much range with the old merc. i used to have a 115hp merc of the same vintage and she chewed the fuel. have fun.

zac320
13-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah fiberglass is in very good shape, hull and transom, trailer is in perfect nick too, it's only got a few cracks(you know the all the little ones you get on fiberglass, I've seen a lot newer boats in a lot worse condition) boat and trailer didn't come registered but it came with the couple of last years papers with all owners details ect, trailer and boat ran out in Jan. yeah thanks for all info boys, Walrus is right about the trailer too, I will get that fixed ASAP, I found out I'll be home Thursday for the day before I go back offshore again so I'll sort all the rego out then so I'm all legal. Yeah you are also right about the fuel too, I'm gonna go price up one to get welded up to fit up the front.

cormorant
13-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Zac

tote tanks are convenient and stop fuel going stale . Perfect for that boat to have a couple of them and manage your fuel use especially if you are offshore a bit. Great as you use one tank out , one tank back and number 3 in reserve. Easy to drain into the car etc.

Easy to fuel up as well as you don't have to take the boat to the servo.

You will need to get use to how thet boat handles as well and I wouldn't be putting weight up front till you know. Ski / tube pole on it - must have kids or grandkids - check how strongly it is mounted if you are thinking adults.

When you get it in teh water grab some video for us.