PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Green Zone

Mrs Ronnie H
13-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Hi all
We had a great day on the water yesterday. Weather awesome, some large whiting and some Flatties-- and a couple of sandcrabs to top it off.

Venturing over to the green zone marker off godwin beach just to mark it on the plotter we noticed a BLUE BOAT WITH WHITE TOP AND A SMALL FLAG FLYING fishing in the green zone.

Now we didn't get real close to them, just enough so I could mark the spot and travelled out to drop our pots.
All the time I was keeping an eye on them. Fair enough they were on a drift but instead of motoring away from the green zone continually fished inside it. Now we fish alot from Beachmere to Godwin beach in the vacinity of the markers but always make sure we do not drift into the green area.

They did leave after awhile- heading toward Scarbie - probably because they had been caught out. I wanted the rego but hubbie said sooner or later they will get caught.Hope they do as jokers like this deserve to be fined.We all obey the rules even if we don't agree with them sometimes so why do it.

Hope they are reading this as next time i will report it.

Ronnie

B U Z Z I N
13-05-2012, 03:29 PM
same thing happening at scott's point redcliffe

castlemaine
13-05-2012, 05:23 PM
It may be an illusion but I'm sure I see boats fishing inside the 2m contour Green Zone at Peel. I personally have not ventured up to them to find out just in case I get mistakenly caught.
I believe some people don't do their homework. I once had a guy pull up to me and ask me "Where's the Green Zone, mate?"
Cheers8-)

Tangles
13-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Same thing happens on Amity Banks, most likely they are unaware of the boundaries

Jeremy
13-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Personally I have no problem with people fishing inside green zones. I don't believe in green zones as a fisheries management tool and never have. If someone else wants to fish inside a green zone, good luck to them.

Giffo65
13-05-2012, 07:25 PM
I think some people on holidays just do not realise,I took the kids down to the beach at Bargara this morning and there was a small tinny on Burketts reef, which is all in a green zone only a few hundred metres off the beach.They are probably unaware that they are breaking the rules,would be good fishing though !

castlemaine
13-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Same thing happens on Amity Banks, most likely they are unaware of the boundaries

Hi Mike
Correct me if I'm wrong but most/all of the Amity Banks is HPZ so fishing and crabbing is allowed (no trawling) but venture further north to the Maroom Banks different story.
Cheers, Ivan

Mrs Ronnie H
13-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Personally I have no problem with people fishing inside green zones. I don't believe in green zones as a fisheries management tool and never have. If someone else wants to fish inside a green zone, good luck to them.

Just because you do not believe in them gives you no right to endorse breaking the law.

So tell me if you are fishing right near the sign that distinctly displays GREEN ZONE then how can you not be aware of it.

Whether we like it or not there are Zones and yes some of us would like to see them abolished but for now we have them and we should respect that fact.

I am not in favour of them but I do respect the law and rules.

Ronnie

lethal
13-05-2012, 08:48 PM
if they can put street signs everywhere surely they could appropriately mark each green zone, although it wouldnt have changed a thing in this case

softplasticsdude79
13-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Just because you do not believe in them gives you no right to endorse breaking the law.

So tell me if you are fishing right near the sign that distinctly displays GREEN ZONE then how can you not be aware of it.

Whether we like it or not there are Zones and yes some of us would like to see them abolished but for now we have them and we should respect that fact.

I am not in favour of them but I do respect the law and rules.

Ronnie

Agree with you Mrs Ronnie H.

kingcray
13-05-2012, 09:24 PM
same thing happening at scott's point redcliffe

True. Every time im out there, somebody is well inside that zone. Even when you drive along the top and look down you can see them fishing through there. Usually on kayaks.

QuinTin
14-05-2012, 04:59 PM
glad you had a great day fishing Mrs Ronnie H but i agree with you shame you did not get their rego but its funny they where out their watching all the time when they first put GZ in now they don't as much funny how do they think gz will work if tools still go in their but yet they don't police it much maybe give fisheries a call and give them the heads up and say why have green zones if you don't keep a eye on them waste of time i know they expect us to do their job for them but law is law and should be respected as such hey :)

cheers QuinTin

WalrusLike
14-05-2012, 08:35 PM
If the govt had of decided on the small cheap locally made CSIRO designed coastal surveillance drones instead of the giant expensive American military ones, we could have thousands instead of 3 or 4.

Then the bay could have a drone loitering about photographing boat regos and calling in fisheries.

Also if fisheries used a database instead of the 'have a chat and see if we like you' method then repeat offenders would get stopped. If they knew for sure that your boat rego hadn't done the wrong thing previously, they could issue a warning first time for those that didn't know. Better all round.

Use the bloody technology to make things better for all. And numerous small and cheap drones would be way better than a few mega drones. But I suppose the CSIRO didn't offer overseas fact finding visits and expensive seminars and lunches to interest the decision makers.