PDA

View Full Version : Pin Sat as well

Floating Rib
13-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Hi Mick thanks for your report
I fished the closer NE reefs in 150ft for the whole morning, released a few undersize squire and tons of undersize trag, current was moving but the strong westerley early was the main difficulty factor in holding bottom, once it dropped off it was much easier. Nice shows of fish on the sounder but finished with my bag of Trag and a few big sand flathead (wish i could get more of these) and 1 solid parrot.
I used squid and fresh caught tailor for bait, also squid strip on a flasher rig(caught squire and trag on this), fed whole squid on lighter weight to try some more mid water areas in the hope of squire(not a touch) jigged an octo jig(zilch),
My intention was to fish wide but the wind and amount of drift put me off.
Met a fellow Ausfisher, Catnap i believe in a nice white cat with twin yammies, they had caught quite a few just under pearlies unfortunately, nice to finally meet someone out on the water.
Agree with mick on the bar changes, still had about 10 feet and i went out at 7.30 on the dead low, if anyone was interested i could provide a couple of co-ordinates to give you the track through, bearing in mind the bar changes and i reckon if you havent been through for a while pick a day where you can see the channel.

One thing i find sad is the waste when catching Trag, the buggers dont tend to survive when released and after a charter moved away from me yesterday the ocean was full of bobbing trag, the charter guys have done the right thing by releasing and of course something will eat them, nearly all were around the 35cm(38 legal) mark i caught and released.
Cheers
Rib

wags on the water
13-05-2012, 02:01 PM
We passed you as you were coming from the pin bar. We were in the cruisey without the radar dome as there were a couple of domed-up cruiseys at the bait grounds. Where did you catch the tailor?
We overnighted offshore and the current started roaring after the moon came up. We ended up with some nice fish.

Cheers,
Wags

Floating Rib
13-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Hi Wags, remember the boat, great looking machine, were you heading back in for bait?, i didnt stop there just had a look and then headed out, thats when i saw you coming in. Mate ive been catching the tailor on the bottom at the reef, always pick up a few, seems odd in 150ft, how wide did you end up?, were the better fish in deeper water?

Ps. will send the pin bar track marks to those guys who asked by pm as soon as possible.

wags on the water
13-05-2012, 06:50 PM
We were heading for home as it was the end of our overnighter. Coditions were great but the three of us were buggered after fishing all night. Chores needed to be done as well. The bar didn't look too bad Saturday but a completely different story Friday afternoon - VERY ordinary - glad I had the horses on hand a few times.

We went wide to have a look but ended up fishing closer in as the current had us drifting at 4-5km/hr with or without the chute.

Cheers