PDA

View Full Version : after some grunter tips

martib
10-05-2012, 06:02 PM
hey all im going to start to target grunter up here in cairns,as ive never really targeted these guys before,so im after a little advice.
whats the best rig and what bait do you guys suggest????????
any advice and tips would be appriciated.;)
cheers marty

missingdna
10-05-2012, 06:11 PM
best tip for grunters.....watch womens tennis

oops....just read the post, guess that wasnt what u were after....lol

sprocketman
10-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Livies are the best. I also use a 5/0 Gamakatsu Shiner stuffed with about 5 yabbies and a length of red tubing.

WalrusLike
10-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Good idea targeting them.... Best fish I have ever tasted. We used to buy them from the fish shop at Grasstree beach south of Sarina where the trawlers come in.

They don't come off the trawlers though. (I don't think?)

Sheik
11-05-2012, 01:28 AM
Yeah they're a great table fish and the bigger ones put up a real stink. I agree that yabbies are the best bait and there are suggestions that multiple yabs on one hook work as sprocket says above. You can use a no4 long shank mustard also. I've had success also on livies, including herring, mullet and hardiheads on a run out tide. Use 10 to 30 lb line depending on the country, mono works very well, down to a ball sinker to get you onto the bottom, then a swivel and leader of around the same strength or a bit more then to your hook. Squid will get them as well.
hope that helps regards jim

krusey
11-05-2012, 12:21 PM
mate looks for areas where there is coffe rock/rubbly bottom use an array of baits until you find what they are feeding on, i've the top of the tide running out is when i'm most succesful with them, i use prawns (live and dead) dead squid and yabbies work best but i'll usually use all 3 until i find what theyre feeding on

whiteman
11-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Squid get em - even dead ones. Often a bi-catch when after fingermark.

martib
11-05-2012, 05:54 PM
keep the tips comin guys great stuff.
with the squid,is a strip the go.
cheers marty

Cardy Wahoo
11-05-2012, 07:32 PM
let em hook themselves. Timid feeders so I always make sure slack line until hooked. Use lightest line as possible. Have caught on pilchards and herring - live not essential - location and presentation important - creek mouths and gravelly bottom best. Agree sometimes by-catch when fingermark fishing on inshore reefs.

whiteman
14-05-2012, 04:17 PM
I use whole squid - local. These are usually the smaller variety rather than the monsters we get off the reef.