PDA

View Full Version : Offshore Bundy

Bull
09-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Howdy Gents,
We made a late decision to head up to Bundy and take advantage of the super forecast. So we loaded the boat Saturday afternoon. Cobiaman and I hit the road next stop Tinshacks place on top of the hill overlooking very still seas with hardly a breath of wind.

We loaded the boat ready for an early start Sunday morning when Dave ( Tinshack ) says I wont be able to sleep lets go now. It took all of about 5 seconds to agree so at 11pm the boat is in the water and we are on our way to one of Dave's secrete spots.

We get to our first spot and its blowing about 12knots and Graeme ( Cobiaman ) drops a line in and is on straight away to something decent 5 mins later up comes a big ugly catfish. Next drop another big ugly catfish.

At this point we jump onto BOM and its blowing all of 3 knots at Lady Elliott Island so its off to fish a few spots along the way towards L E I. The wind slowly picked up the further we went out. At about 4am we were knackered so we headed around the north east side of L E I for a kip.

Sunday morning saw a solid 20+ knot south westerly blowing so we sat there and talked a little nonsense while hoping it would drop out. About midday we thought we would head out and try to have a fish but it was too shitty so we started the long slog home sitting on 10 knots for the first hour. The conditions got better the closer we got to land to the point where it almost glassed out.

Dave then took us to his Spanish Mack spot where he never fails but guess what we failed lol. But while trolling we marked some good shows on the sounder and later fished these for a very nice feed of Grassies, Spangled & husser. Also having a close encounter with a 3+m Hammerhead who took a liking to some of our fish.

On our way in we stopped to assist a boat that set off a flare about 35kms offshore. Dave had there engine running for them in about an hour. 5 very happy & relieved guys on that boat. I wasn't looking forward to towing them in so I was pretty happy as well.

Cheers Brett

PS The wheel Bearings held up ;D

fishfeeder
09-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Good to see you got out for a fish... Your not having much luck with the speedsters !!

Cheers
Brett

cobiaman
09-05-2012, 10:37 AM
A big thanks to brett and dave for a great weekend, it was a bit of a shame we didnt get to chase the reds like we wanted too but you cant help the weather. 2 things i learnt this trip is dont ever let bull1 change a battery for you and if tinshacks ever promises to take you to his secret snapper spot, you will only catch catfish!http://img.tapatalk.com/65770f35-bc87-122f.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/65770f35-bca4-08be.jpg

Giffo65
09-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Pity about the weather,but you got a feed.You should be here in Bundy today and yesterday,perfect conditions.Whats worse, I can't go out !

FisHard
09-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Good one mate. The forcast certainly didn't represent reality ast weekend. I think the big tides chopped up the wave action too.good to see you got a feed for your trouble at least.
Cheers

madmackrel
09-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Mammoth effort Brett , all that driving with little rest its a wonder your not still asleep
Cheers Perry

Smithy
09-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Maybe you should have sat the catfish out. They are usually with the good fish like snapper if they were the salmon catfish. I know it seems hard to do, but they would have been there.

Muddy Toes
09-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Great report mate......it never really matters when the weather doesn't play the game as long as you have good company.

Tinshack Dave the on site marine mechanic hey.......doing anything in September mate?:P

Tinshack
09-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Hey Brett, thanks for the huge effort in hauling your boat up to Bundy & to you & Graeme for the laughs over the weekend. I couldn't have been more disappointed about the weather, such a massive effort with little reward. At the end of the day we didn't get the quality we wanted but we managed to scrape together a feed whilst in good company.

It is a hard decision to call it quits when 90km's offshore & weather is vastly different from the issued forecast, I feel it was a good decision to depart when we did & not get caught out there for another 24 hours. "Gina Maree" is an impressive outfit mate & a credit to you for the quality refurbishment you have undertaken.

You have the secret marks now ;), you just need to work out the technique of how to hook a snapper & not a catfish ;D ! Smithy, you are right, all the snapper grounds I fish do have catfish from time to time!

Thanks, again Brett.

Cheers,
Dave.

Tinshack
09-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Tinshack Dave the on site marine mechanic hey.......doing anything in September mate?:P

Anthony, you would like my rates, FREE :o !!!

You won't be needing any help with the new Yammy ;D

Seriously though, I was impressed at the fast response from fellow boaties once flare was activated. Very reassuring as I fish a lot at night.

Muddy Toes
09-05-2012, 09:33 PM
They couldn't have asked for a better bunch of blokes in a boat than you guys I reckon ....

ShaneC
09-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Was good to run into you blokes at the back of Lady Elliot. I was a bit disappointed at the mentality of the idiot that made us move off the swing mooring and instead I threw my pick and lifted half the reef when we left. Something should be done about that, the threat of criminal charges for using an unused mooring is a bit rich INHO.

We ended up doing ok but we worked hard for them. Glad you got a few mate.

Shane

Tinshack
09-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Hi Shane, I heard him rip into you, what was the fault with using existing mooring? He certainly came out all hot headed with what I heard! Good you got a few, how did one of your crew end up, find his sea legs again? Had a mate out at Heralds, unfishable, trolled for 8hr's, wind didn't drop out till 3-4pm. Dave.

Stewey
10-05-2012, 06:48 AM
Hi Bull, Tinshack etc.

I was the other boat that responded to flare. Sorry that i was unable to help you guys. I am glad that you were able to sort his problem.

BTW "Gina Maree" is an impressive looking unit. Glad you all had fun.

Regards

Stewey

Bull
10-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the replies guys,
I just did this big post thanking everyone for there comments and lost it bugger :wut: