PDA

View Full Version : Scarbrough Boat/Redcliffe Coastguard Ramp "BEWARE"

fisho8
08-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Just want to let you guys know the some modifications have been done to this ramp to help stop boat trailers dropping off the end of it at low tide. Instead of extending it the Council or some other government body in their wisdom has decided that filling the end of it up with a few loads of rocks to try and solve this issue......However if you own a large boat and have a tandem axle trailer exercise caution when driving up at low tide as I had witnessed and had to help 2 people winch their extremely large boats up their trailer's one being a Cruise craft Executive 700 cruiser and the other a 7 mtr plate boat both owned by older couple's due to them spinning his their props through these rock basically destroying them i Would hate to think what a set of prop's would have been worth for the cruisecraft becuase they were had it. If this is a sign of what to come with our new Councils then god help them. My missus took these photo's and I will be sending them onto to our local paper out here.

WalrusLike
08-05-2012, 10:54 PM
What's next? Barb wire laid on the ramp for extra grip?

Seriously? They figured rocks are the one thing missing from a good ramp?

Surely they could of fixed it with the standard council approach..... Put up a dozen warning signs.

Mrs Ronnie H
08-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Hi
Seems a short cut solution. So who is getting the bill for the new props i wonder.

So who's great idea would this of been. Obviously it came from someone who has no idea of boating.

Send your pics to the local paper and hopefully something suitable will be done.
Reminds me of the loads of rock at Beachmere ramp a few years back. Emailed my views to council and the problem was sorted eventually.

Ronnie

Tangles
08-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Maybe Walrus they have approached it with a standard Council approach :D

kingcray
09-05-2012, 06:04 AM
Well done mate, thanks for the heads up.

MTAQ/BTAQ
09-05-2012, 06:22 AM
I agree and cannot believe the insanity of doing this - to be honest I use that ramp 4 times a week and it seems to work smoothly. The only problem I have seen was when we had a very low tide (.10 of a meter back in December) and a large dual axle trailer went over the end at 4.30am.

A better solution would be to put a visible marker at the end of the ramp, such as a solid concrete or metal post sticking out of the water on the CG side of the ramp - but then some "richard cranium" would hit it with their boat, or tie up to it and fish from it.

Fed
09-05-2012, 06:34 AM
I don't know the ramp but could it be to force people to use it as a two lane ramp, a work in progress?
They're probably getting the 'NO POWER LOADING" signs painted now.

MTAQ/BTAQ
09-05-2012, 07:03 AM
I just checked your pics and that neat pile of rocks is now spread haphazardly across the ramp so that some trailers actually stick out of the water when the car wheels reach the water . People actually avoid this ramp to use the other one in the harbour at Scarborough thus overloading that one.

MTAQ/BTAQ
09-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I have just put in my complaint to the Moreton Bay Regional Council website - just go online so we can have this fixed!

fisho8
09-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Will do mate. the more people that know about this the better. I might send our new minister for fisheries and boating a PM to show him this and see what he has to say about it to. I will also email the local member for that division to see what they say. If this is the way they are going to fix things then I would say our boat rego is going nowhere.

LittleSkipper
09-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Will do mate. the more people that know about this the better. I might send our new minister for fisheries and boating a PM to show him this and see what he has to say about it to. I will also email the local member for that division to see what they say. If this is the way they are going to fix things then I would say our boat rego is going nowhere.

Our boat rego is going somewhere? In the pockets of those rich & flabulous people we call the Qld Govt!

Nathan Tuskes
09-05-2012, 07:22 PM
To be honest how does everyone expect it to be fixed. the rocks work perfectly they don't get moved from power loading and they stop your trailer from getting stuck maybe it was by user error them people stuffed there props I'm sure as hell wouldn't be happy for that ramp to be out of action for remembering its the council(3 weeks) while an estimated 50k plus of tax payer money is put towards silt barriers and all other envornmental things they have to do before extentding the ramp a further 1-2 m where it will still get washed out at the end of the ramp from power loading

WalrusLike
09-05-2012, 07:45 PM
At one of the Manly ramps they put concrete blocks maybe 6ft by 3 by 3ft (from memory... I could be way out on size) down at the end.

So presumably they just drive an excavator to the end of the ramp scoop a hole and lower the block in. Creates a concrete extension that is the same angle and level across the face of the ramp. So no nasty eneven rocky surprises for unsuspecting propellors to whack.

Would be cheap ish and quick. Unless I am missng something?

trueblue
09-05-2012, 08:26 PM
this sounds like it is properly dumb

WalrusLike
09-05-2012, 08:33 PM
What's dumb? The rocks or the blocks?

Gon Fishun
09-05-2012, 08:34 PM
At one of the Manly ramps they put concrete blocks maybe 6ft by 3 by 3ft (from memory... I could be way out on size) down at the end.

So presumably they just drive an excavator to the end of the ramp scoop a hole and lower the block in. Creates a concrete extension that is the same angle and level across the face of the ramp. So no nasty eneven rocky surprises for unsuspecting propellors to whack.

Would be cheap ish and quick. Unless I am missng something?

Yes. The I in missing.

trueblue
09-05-2012, 08:36 PM
To be honest how does everyone expect it to be fixed. the rocks work perfectly they don't get moved from power loading and they stop your trailer from getting stuck maybe it was by user error them people stuffed there props I'm sure as hell wouldn't be happy for that ramp to be out of action for remembering its the council(3 weeks) while an estimated 50k plus of tax payer money is put towards silt barriers and all other envornmental things they have to do before extentding the ramp a further 1-2 m where it will still get washed out at the end of the ramp from power loading

do you have a deep v heavy boat that will hit the rocks? I'm guessing not...

trueblue
09-05-2012, 08:37 PM
What's dumb? The rocks or the blocks?

placement of these rocks...

WalrusLike
09-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Yes. The I in missing.

Aw bugger... :) Cawt me out. My spellin is atroshus. This stoopid ifone normally corexts all me spellun... Musta acciduntly turned awto-correct offf.

fisho8
09-05-2012, 09:09 PM
PM has been sent to Mr Robinson now to await his reply if I ever get one. Contacted the local paper and I have someone calling me tomorrow to have a talk to me about it.:)

rodneyk
10-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Hi all was there monday arvo watching area should have been signed or something .
I was led to believe the ramps are looked after by port of Brisbane authority which is govenment ?????? .
Cambell did say he was throwing 120 million at something ???

WalrusLike
10-05-2012, 05:47 PM
120 million rocks?

fisho8
10-05-2012, 07:49 PM
I was up there this afternoon they have put temporary sign's up there by the looks they are chained and locked to the other signs there. I went down the ramp to have a bit of a look and there was rocks all over the lower part on lower concrete slab. I did not hear from the paper today so I am going to try and get into contact again with them again tomorrow.

Horse
11-05-2012, 07:33 AM
I like the sound of putting concrete blocks at the base of many of our ramps and then banning drive on trailer loading on the others. The rocks are not a great solution to the problem

MEG-A-BITE
11-05-2012, 08:19 AM
No a good idea,thanks for the info.

two dogs
17-07-2012, 06:27 AM
Any updates on this ramp, been meaning to go have a look at dead low

MTAQ/BTAQ
17-07-2012, 07:21 AM
I use this ramp at least 4 times every weekend, the rocks have been pushed to the end and sides of the ramp (no longer on the concrete) - this makes it very good as the rocks now bind the mud at the ends and side of the ramp. In other words it is back to the way it was but with more firmness at the end of the ramp - this will help the guy who lost his trailer off the end of the ramp at the low tide of .10 a few months ago and needed the fleet of tow trucks to assist.