PDA

View Full Version : One of "those" weekends ... lol

marto78
07-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Alright the abreviated version as I'm not as good with wordses as some of the others on here :-?

Arrived at Nudgee boat ramp at 10am sat morning only to snap the steering cable while getting the boat ready. A big thanks to Steve or Stuart at Wynnum Marine for his help in getting us back on the water and big up yours to everyone that told us we couldn't fix it at the boat ramp :P

4.5hrs later we cruised past the car park at Curtain with a tank full of livies and unloaded all the gear onto the beach only to find the camp site we picked (the one just north of the southern white marker for those that know the area) had the creek detoured in front of it which was about a foot deep.

Eff it we says and carried all our gear in anyways and cooked up a feed of snags on the cooker. After a few brews we decided that there were to many boats on Curtain and that the weather was to nice to stay in the bay so we made the plan to hit up Roberts Shoal.

Started drifting the shoal just on sundown and manged two bites and a 33cm squire to the only bloke on the boat who had never been fishing before :-? typical.

"Stuff this!" I says "lets hit up Deep Tempest there is a bit of swell but no wind and its only 17km's" lol
We arrived 45min later after spiling a few beverages and could see fish all over the sounder but could not even get a bite in the hr or so we spent out there.

The trip back in was pretty good with the swell up our butts but at some stage the sounder power lead fell out and I tried to put it back in in the dark and bent the pins on the plug :hammer: so back to camp and another feed and bed.

Woke up the next morning to find that someone had layed a heap of sticks and logs on the fire before they went to bed and they had burnt through in the middle and flipped over onto my swag and burnt holes in it, my sheet and more importantly the midgie screen. And to make matters worse all that was left of my brand new double pluggers was half a thong sticking up out of the quick sand beside the creek. :rifle:

After cooking a feed of bacon and eggs we contemplated where to have a fish for the day. With the Curtain carpark at near full capacity and more boats arriving by the minute we opted for the M6 as there was load of bait and we had seen a few bigger shapes on the sounder the day before when getting livies.

While the boys pulled in the anchors I sorted out the bent pins in the sounder plug and only snapped off four (luckily they werent the ones that powered it up 8-) ) and motored out to our mark.

After the first donkey drift we managed to anchor up above a good show and before I had the anchor tied off one of the boys is onto something good. With calls of mack and cobe and 15mins of hard yakka on the 10 pound gear he pulls up the biggest mother in law I have ever seen, a 65cm slatey grey. Bugger it, its the only legal (and 2nd fish) to hit the deck this trip so we knife it and throw in the kill box to bleed out a bit :tekst-toppie:

A bit later after only catching a horse yellow tail on a soft pllastic me mate grabs the slatey with the lip grips on the top lip and the tail in his other hand to wash the blood off over the side and just after he's finished saying how slippery they are lo and behold the lip grips let go as does his other hand on the tail. And as he goes for the big fish saving grab he drops my favourite (only) lip grips and completey misses the fish as well.

I know I didn't help the situation but you have to see it from my point of view, my mate has been on the last few Moreton over nighters with me and while he has caught plenty of fish has never put anything in the esky and for this to happen to him after every thing so far this trip I completly lost it and :LMAO:. Sorry Witso but I'm still laughing as I type this.

We decided this was the last straw and decided to pack up and head for home and with the way the fuel situation was looking it was going to be a slow trip home too.
We sat on an average of 25km/hr for the trip home and by the time we got to Nudgee the fuel gauge needle wasn't even bouncing anymore but we were high fiving as we came through the leads and idled past all the clowns anchored up in the channel.

I didn't even let it bother me when some idiot on the bank abused me for running over his line. Mate I woud rather run over your line then run into the other guy plowing towards me at 20kts ya goose.

I know I said this was going to be a short story but a few rums later and blah blah :computer: blah, what do you know I have written a boody novel sorry about that.

Anyways hope you enjoyed it.
Cheers,
Marto :dankk2:

TREVELLY
08-05-2012, 05:44 AM
A few rums and you get a fantastic story full of blunt truths.

Thanks for sharing - it was very much a Sheik and the dudds effort.

castamasta
08-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Great report Marto.....lmao.......and i feel a little better know,sorry mate ;D
Cheers,Gav.

Triple
08-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Alright the abreviated version as I'm not as good with wordses as some of the others on here :-?

I know I said this was going to be a short story but a few rums later and blah blah :computer: blah, what do you know I have written a boody novel sorry about that.

Cheers,
Marto :dankk2:

So that was the "abreviated inebriated" version :P
Good to hear drama filled trips aren't only confined to my ones.

alba
08-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Mate
Just read this and it cheered me up no end after a weekend without getting out. Best laugh for a while, we need more of these reports on this site.

QuinTin
08-05-2012, 09:11 AM
HAHAHA lmao thanks for the a great rum story it made my day :)

OOPS PRESSED THANKS FOR THE POST WAT HALF ASLEEP SORRY dam wrong one like the post but :P

ShaneC
09-05-2012, 01:05 AM
Haha Marto, now I know who to blame.... YOU!! Your luck must have rubbed off on me. Our weekend consisted of some unfortunate, funny and potential rage out moments too. Let's see, a near death decky from a crook servo drumstick mixed with 20-25's that were not forecast. Fish that would only play the game interrmittently (still did ok but), an anchor rope wrapped around a prop in 3 knots of current, and sharks that would only eat every single bloody decent fish that came to the boat for hours on end. Not to mention the demise of the coffee grinder electric that finally gave up the ghost in a big way.....

So anytime you want to come around and pick up your bucket of 'unmojo', Ill make sure I am home hahahaha.

Its still great to be Australian

Shane

Funchy
09-05-2012, 05:32 AM
Great report. Very entertaining read. Here's to a more productive trip next time mate :D

marto78
09-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Haha Marto, now I know who to blame.... YOU!! Your luck must have rubbed off on me. Our weekend consisted of some unfortunate, funny and potential rage out moments too. Let's see, a near death decky from a crook servo drumstick mixed with 20-25's that were not forecast. Fish that would only play the game interrmittently (still did ok but), an anchor rope wrapped around a prop in 3 knots of current, and sharks that would only eat every single bloody decent fish that came to the boat for hours on end. Not to mention the demise of the coffee grinder electric that finally gave up the ghost in a big way.....

So anytime you want to come around and pick up your bucket of 'unmojo', Ill make sure I am home hahahaha.

Its still great to be Australian

Shane

The funny thing is Shane I was thinking it was your bad luck that had rubbed off onto me after that trip we did the other week, you know the one with the dodgy wheel bearing and stuck break caliper, the two flat tyres, the unretreavable anchor... need I go on lol.

The way I see it, is that we have now had 3 not so good trips (I don't like to say bad as I still had a lot of fun both times) between us and they say bad fishing trips happen in 3's (or something like that) so as far as I can tell we are going to have nothing but smooth trouble free sailing from now on in.

Here's hoping anyways.

ShaneC
09-05-2012, 07:50 PM
COOL!!! Agnes Saturday morning then if weather plays the game..... I have still managed to stay well ahead of the game fish wise but I think they are ready for a PROPER touch up.