PDA

View Full Version : Cobby passage entrance

thelump
07-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi all

Had a pretty good , reasonably high speed, grounding of my boat on Saturday arvo. Travelling from slipping sands end and heading to go up into the Cobby passage to fish for the evening. Come down and around the Red Buoy on the southern end of the Cobby yabby banks clearing it by around 30m when BAM straight into sanbank in about 2ft of water. Shouldn't that buoy be where the deep water lies so clearing it by that distance should be sweet?? Had to jump out and push and groan the boat off the bank then when I get home and flush motor check engine alarm comes up. Me thinks I sucked up a bit of crap and now have to take it to the dealer for a squiz. Anyone else had this problem??

Muddy Toes
07-05-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble trying to picture where your actually talking about not having a chart at hand but I have hit bottom at pretty high speed coming across from the shoal area on the Cobby Cobby Island side of the Canaipa Passage across to the slipping sands even though I though I was pretty certain I was following the Buoyage correctly.

My mates and I now call it the Peacock Bank.......for obvious reasons to all that have hit the bottom at high speed.

thelump
07-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Say your heading south from slipping sands and go past the hut the last red beacon here before it opens up a bit

Muddy Toes
07-05-2012, 09:06 PM

Is that the last red you round when you start to head in a West direction after traveling North up Canaipa?

Muddy Toes
07-05-2012, 10:25 PM
If it is the one up that end I seem to recall having to run between the red and the yellow to find the safe water.But once again I don't have a chart at hand and my memory is crap.

Horse
08-05-2012, 06:51 AM
A lot of boats hit that bank. The red on the bank is only a lateral on the eastern point of the bank for running up the main channel. Its not a crossover into Cobby. The bank runs SW from there. Plenty of deep water next to short though.
Hopefully the prop escaped damage and the motor is fine

thelump
08-05-2012, 07:26 AM

Is that the last red you round when you start to head in a West direction after traveling North up Canaipa?

Nah further south Anthony. Like Horse said. Just before short Island.

thelump
08-05-2012, 07:28 AM
A lot of boats hit that bank. The red on the bank is only a lateral on the eastern point of the bank for running up the main channel. Its not a crossover into Cobby. The bank runs SW from there. Plenty of deep water next to short though.
Hopefully the prop escaped damage and the motor is fine

Yeah I get that now Neil but it could do with one at the bottom of the bank I reckon.

Horse
08-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Yeah I get that now Neil but it could do with one at the bottom of the bank I reckon.

I agree. Its claimed a lot of boats including mine on more than one occassion

Axl
08-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Sounds like they need to put a yellow X (channel spliter) there8-).

I personaly havent had any grief there but I reckon I might of ended up on bank in the same area as Muddy Toes mentioned a few years back;D.

I hope all is well with your new motor lump no doudt it will be;).