PDA

View Full Version : Using a cooker on my boat.

Muddy Toes
05-05-2012, 08:12 PM
With winter on the approach I'm hoping to do some overnighters on those still nights and the times of eating a cold can of beans are long gone for me.
I've got one of those U Bute cooker things and as luck would have it it fits perfectly on my bait board but the problem is after a while the HDPE cutting board doesn't seem to like the heat and last time I had it fired up on there it warped the cutting board.
Luckily I pushed it down while it was still hot though.
So the two part question is will a fire blanket stop the heat from effecting the cutting board if I was to put the cooker on it and secondly if I take the cutting board of the bait board and I just put the cooker on it will the heat effect the powdercoated aluminium bait board.
As you can appreciate this is a matter of utmost importance......my level of comfort on a cold winters night, so any ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

lucee81
05-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I use a mini weber Q on my bait board but all i have done is added a sheet of 12mm form ply sanded the edges and it slides in stop the heat going directly on to the HDPE and works a treat, if your adventurous you can always drill a hole in the corner add a rope and cut bait on it chuck it over the side to wash and the bait board is easy clean. me i use a wash down pump, cause i'm flash.... I got a spare bit of form ply if you need it, get me on a good day and i could even cut it to size for ya.
Now help me with my fuel problem in the electronics section:)

Lucas

Fed
05-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Thermos flask mate.

Giffo65
05-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Muddy

The fire blanket wont stop the radiant heat from the cooker,they are only designed to smother the fire.Your best bet would be a piece of timber or a wire rack to get it off the plastic.

PinHead
05-05-2012, 08:24 PM
one glass of water..one teaspoon of cement and one litre of green ginger wine ..all will be good.

Muddy Toes
05-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Now help me with my fuel problem in the electronics section:)

Lucas

Do I look like I know anything about boats?

But I think I may have helped you in another way......I'll know something on Monday.

FishHunter
05-05-2012, 08:26 PM
I melted my esky lid so now I am cutting a piece of 7mm ply to U bute size and glueing some of that non slip rubber mat to both sides. No more melted esky and no more cooker sliding off the esky in the chop.

Mrs Ronnie H
05-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi
We have one of those single burners. Now i leave it in its case as the heat seems to radiate up on them and not down. Best bet is probably use a piece of ply under your stove.
I'm with you as well -- like the comforts now and take the kettle and the flask as it saves on gas- making hot cuppas all the time.
Must be an age thing :)

Ronnie

lucee81
05-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Do I look like I know anything about boats?

But I think I may have helped you in another way......I'll know something on Monday.

So you know as much as me about boats then by the sounds of it... they go forwards and sometimes backwards and if you have a merc you may need a tow? ;D;D;D
If you want some of that wood let me know, no use buying a sheet for a piece the size of a bait board.

Let me know what i have to do if all goes well Monday...

Muddy Toes
05-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the replies guys and gal.....can't believe I didn't even think of a bit of ply, I fell quite silly now!!

Or are you guys/gal just really smart?

Oh and thanks for that delightfully helpful comment about hardening the f@#K up.....but no, I refuse.....you've got more chance of me drinking Stones than you do trying to harden me up

and I'm a teetotaler.

krusey
06-05-2012, 10:33 AM
With winter on the approach I'm hoping to do some overnighters on those still nights and the times of eating a cold can of beans are long gone for me.
I've got one of those U Bute cooker things and as luck would have it it fits perfectly on my bait board but the problem is after a while the HDPE cutting board doesn't seem to like the heat and last time I had it fired up on there it warped the cutting board.
Luckily I pushed it down while it was still hot though.
So the two part question is will a fire blanket stop the heat from effecting the cutting board if I was to put the cooker on it and secondly if I take the cutting board of the bait board and I just put the cooker on it will the heat effect the powdercoated aluminium bait board.
As you can appreciate this is a matter of utmost importance......my level of comfort on a cold winters night, so any ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated.
I use my cobb cooker in the boat the wind doesnt affect it the bottom of the cobb is cool to touch so you can pick it up and move it around if you want to and it won't affect your cutting board at all and you don't have to worry about carrying gas on board the boat they are a great thing especially if you like camping as you can cook just about anything in it plus you can get a marine kit for it that clamps on the handrails in the boat and you can keep your cutting board free

gazza2006au
06-05-2012, 12:39 PM
stick hotdogs in a flask ;D

jigsnreels
06-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Those little $20 cookers are great but can be trouble... Check this

http://www.tightlinestasmania.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2279

timeout
07-05-2012, 02:02 PM
wooden chopping board used here to stop the heat.

spelchek
07-05-2012, 04:16 PM
I use a Trangia metho burner stove. It's design allows me to sit it on an esky lid no problem. I put a wet rag down - but that's more to stop it sliding on the esky lid than anything else. The design doesn;t really allow any heat to build up on the surface it's sitting on.

Blusta
07-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Yep, hot water for coffee in the thermos and cheap slippers from kmart and i am ready for the evening. Like the idea of hot dogs in the other thermos!
Haven't been able to fish much over summer nights for one reason and another so I might just have to give the bream a floggin' this year!

thelump
07-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Just did an overnighter weekend gone Anthony and the coffee was cooked on a little single burner gas thingy the Mrs uses for hiking. Fits in a little bag about 3"square and sits atop one of those bigger butane cans (around 5"dia) depends how much you want to cook but I just sat it on my dash and boiled water pretty easy. Reckon you could put a little fry pan no worries.

gazza2006au
07-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Just did an overnighter weekend gone Anthony and the coffee was cooked on a little single burner gas thingy the Mrs uses for hiking. Fits in a little bag about 3"square and sits atop one of those bigger butane cans (around 5"dia) depends how much you want to cook but I just sat it on my dash and boiled water pretty easy. Reckon you could put a little fry pan no worries.do u have a picture or a link? something this small sounds very ideal for my boat

Muddy Toes
07-05-2012, 10:34 PM
depends how much you want to cook

This was morning tea one day ........so with the right crew on an overnighter it can end up looking like an episode of Master Chef gone wrong.

Apollo
08-05-2012, 06:54 AM
So when do you want a deckie?

thelump
08-05-2012, 07:15 AM
do u have a picture or a link? something this small sounds very ideal for my boat

Will try and get a pic up this arvo

thelump
08-05-2012, 07:16 AM
This was morning tea one day ........so with the right crew on an overnighter it can end up looking like an episode of Master Chef gone wrong.

You can count my little cooker out then. Unless you want a coffee while all that is cooking.

TheRealAndy
08-05-2012, 08:12 AM
I use a Trangia metho burner stove. It's design allows me to sit it on an esky lid no problem. I put a wet rag down - but that's more to stop it sliding on the esky lid than anything else. The design doesn;t really allow any heat to build up on the surface it's sitting on.

This is what I use. Had the trangia from my hiking days, great little things. I have a gas burner attachement for mine.

Muddy Toes
08-05-2012, 08:15 AM
You can count my little cooker out then. Unless you want a coffee while all that is cooking.

I'd be happy with just the coffee macca ............it's the crew I have to keep happy.

spelchek
08-05-2012, 09:39 AM
This is what I use. Had the trangia from my hiking days, great little things. I have a gas burner attachement for mine.

Mines been around the world with me and you wouldn't believe some of the place it's made a coffee. Or some of the weather its heated up a tin of baked beans. If only everything in life was so reliable and robust.

I've never tried a gas attachment - is it good? Does it still feel like using a trange?

OH - btw muddy toes - looking at that 'morning tea' I don't think the Trangia is what you;re looking for!

netmaker
08-05-2012, 10:28 AM
this works a treat for me. sits flat when opened and packs away nicely.

gazza2006au
08-05-2012, 10:41 AM
do u guys ever have problems operating these cookers with the fuel tank on board?

lucee81
08-05-2012, 11:30 AM
i think you will find most of these guys will have under floor tanks.
i also use the same system as netmaker x 2 when space is an issue but i have the Primus stanless steel jobies about $27.00 a piece.

TheRealAndy
08-05-2012, 12:49 PM
this works a treat for me. sits flat when opened and packs away nicely.

I call those stoves exploders, or now I call it a single exploder, cause you can buy double exploders which are two of those things welded together!

netmaker
08-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I call those stoves exploders, or now I call it a single exploder, cause you can buy double exploders which are two of those things welded together!

is there a story to that andy?

WalrusLike
08-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Andy is that because you know of an explosion with them or because they seem destined for one?

We use one on the bait board and so far so good.... But that's what the guy falling off the building was saying on the way down.....

thelump
08-05-2012, 03:12 PM
is there a story to that andy?

I have a story about them Dave. My Mrs had one go off on her while cooking snags with it on the tailgate of my hilux I had at the time. Luckily it blew out backwards(the can) and destroyed the plastic carry case that was being used as a wind shield. There were no pieces larger than a matchbox. Totally annialated it. Blew my Mrs back onto her ass and a trip to the hospital. ears were not flash for a couple of days. So yeah they can let go. We took quite a few years before we bought another one but went with the odds of how many there are and how many you hear blow up! We now buy a new one annually just incase. For the price it is worth keeping them new.

TheRealAndy
08-05-2012, 04:56 PM