PDA

View Full Version : Shipwrecks in recent times

WalrusLike
04-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Hey guys I can kinda remember watching the news years ago as a ship was wrecked on a beach in southern Queensland.

Am I daft or did a large ship wreck occur in that timeframe and locality?

Ok I know the answer to the first bit.... Yes I am daft. :)

theoldlegend
04-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Are you thinking of the Cherry Venture?

TOL

WalrusLike
04-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Yep ... Thanks, That's the one.

bf90
04-05-2012, 03:26 PM
is there any thing left of the old cherry? or is it all rusted away now?

WalrusLike
04-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Sounds like its been removed:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Venture#section_4

theoldlegend
04-05-2012, 04:40 PM
I seem to remember reading about the Cherry Venture years ago.

A bloke tried to salvage it and very nearly got it off the beach, only to fail. Believe he spent a lot of money doing so.

bigjimg
04-05-2012, 06:12 PM
I remember the Cherry Venture floating in its lagoon with bow out in the surf and a couple of tugs trying to pull it out to sea.They failed a couple of times and spent a lot of coin and lost machinary in the process.Was always a good stop off point and have a couple of beers while on the way over to DI for a surf.We used to climb up through the stack and crawl out of the flu and survey the beach.That was a few years back,showing my age.She just got too dangerous to allow people to climb over so the council removed her remains years ago.Made alot of money for tour operators over the years.How were those bubbling springs,they're gone too.Ahhh the memories...Jim

Chas & Clarry
04-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Remember the Anro Asia going aground on the North tip of Bribie in the early 80s...amazing sight being a 200+meter ship, luckily they got that back afloat

Muddy Toes
04-05-2012, 11:48 PM
With this thread about the Cherry Venture I had a look at some images of it on google.

I've only been going to Double Island since about 2000 when I got my license so I only saw it in it's last few years as a rusted out pile of steel but some of the pictures from the 70's and 80's I've come across are boarding on comical some might say.

A full size ship sitting perfectly upright on dry sand as if the ocean just washed away from under it and left it on the beach.......it must have been a sight.

Axl
05-05-2012, 08:40 AM
I was climbing up the stack one day (many moons ago) with a mate and the ladder rungs were almost breaking as we went. We got a couple of pics then very carefully climed back down.

Not long after that she was removed.