PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a stainless prop overseas

NAGG
04-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi Ausfishers

A quick google check has me in awe of what the yanks pay for their Stainless steel props.... Certainly better than 50% of what we would pay here .
Yes - you do need to know what you want & that's where a local place like Solas is helpful ...... but you pay for it . :(
With the places I fish ..... I would rather be chewing up a $300 prop as opposed to a $600-$700 one...::)

So - Does anyone have any good contacts / dealers in the US that they have purchased through ?

Cheers

Chris

cormorant
04-05-2012, 01:07 PM
If you chew up props do your gearbox the favor and just buy allow and replace, rework them every 200 hours. Honestly the hubs don't protect gears but alloy blades do and a good alloy in small under 70hp motors doesn't affect performance much just kudos at the ramp. Over 70hp a bit of extra speed and so on . There are a lot of average design alloy props in older thicker metal out there so it depends what you want.

My US prop guy is no longer - not enough business for him - things are bad in the USA. Chain stores over there even have stock props it is that big a market at a low price and the people don't ask for the advice or tuning they used to.

Floating Rib
04-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi Naggs, bought my solas 4 blade stainless from i boats website (have also bought seats from them which were still cheaper with postage), much cheaper than here but the risk of not getting it right is enough incentive for some to pay the higher dollar here.

NAGG
04-05-2012, 03:30 PM
If you chew up props do your gearbox the favor and just buy allow and replace, rework them every 200 hours. Honestly the hubs don't protect gears but alloy blades do and a good alloy in small under 70hp motors doesn't affect performance much just kudos at the ramp. Over 70hp a bit of extra speed and so on . There are a lot of average design alloy props in older thicker metal out there so it depends what you want.

My US prop guy is no longer - not enough business for him - things are bad in the USA. Chain stores over there even have stock props it is that big a market at a low price and the people don't ask for the advice or tuning they used to.

When running up the creeks - I will still use the alloy prop - but with now the scope to go offshore , a more efficient prop would be beneficial ..... I certainly dont mind having 2 alloy & a stainless .

Chris

murf
04-05-2012, 04:59 PM
I am in the same boat as NAGG, the diff in price is a lot when funds are tight

are the Solas props in the USA identical as the ones we buy here?

I am over propped and the SS prop I have needs attention, I don't want to bother getting the prop fixed when I can buy from USA for some $$$ more

cheers Murf

Blackened
04-05-2012, 05:09 PM
G'day

nagg, had impeccable service from americanprop.biz

Price was excellent (even when I bought, when the $ was at $.92) He even phoned my mobile to confirm the order and to discuss my requirements. Turned up within 5 days.

Dave

NAGG
04-05-2012, 05:36 PM
G'day

nagg, had impeccable service from americanprop.biz

Price was excellent (even when I bought, when the $ was at $.92) He even phoned my mobile to confirm the order and to discuss my requirements. Turned up within 5 days.

Dave

Thanks Dave

The web site looks pretty darn good & so do the prices .... I'll certainly be in contact with them

- thanks for the heads up

Chris

Steeler
04-05-2012, 06:12 PM
re solas props, yes they are same as here. Solas are/were also an OE supplier.

litenup
04-05-2012, 06:47 PM
I bought mine from Hill Marine.com. I told them what prop I had ( need WOT revs), type of boat (HH 19C is just a Bertram) what I wanted it for. Now get 1litre/nmile at 4000RPM out of 200 Opti, prop has 5 blades!! Cheers Pete.

Horse
04-05-2012, 09:02 PM
I have used Deep Blue Yacht Supplies. Great service and I was more than pleased with the price
http://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com.au/?gclid=CKjjs6-95q8CFcyGpAod61g03Q

team_mongo
04-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Naggs,

Have a look at propgods.com.

He has OEM props such as Merc, for almost half price. Shipping is about $100, but still comes in much cheaper.

They have a discussion forum as well.

TM

Dan5
04-05-2012, 10:14 PM
http://myworld.ebay.com.au/ilsportcenter/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754

Here Chris.......bought mine off of them a few months back..........Genuine suzy........saved near on $600 compared to here.

Dan

chris69
04-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Ha Naggs read some of the feed back on those stainless props i to found a site selling cheap stainless props and though it was a good thing until i read the reviews . http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Suzuki/50_HP_(1999Newer)_13.00-Pitch_RUBEX_HR4_9333-115-13_Propeller/358/36018/?cart_id=524620504

NAGG
05-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys - appreciate the sharing of these sites ....... as would a lot of other Ausfishers . The savings offered certainly open ones eyes

Chris

timeout
05-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Brought mine from Iboats, cheap and fast delivery

LoungeLizard
05-05-2012, 09:22 PM
I also bought from iBoats, not stainless but they where the cheapest when shipping was added in. Very quick delivery.

NAGG
06-05-2012, 06:58 AM
I also bought from iBoats, not stainless but they where the cheapest when shipping was added in. Very quick delivery.

Thanks LL ...... looks like a few nods for iBoats .
With stainless steel props sitting around the US$300 mark (Stiletto & Solas) plus delivery - it's a pretty darn good savings. I reckon if you had a mate after a SS prop too , you could get the shipping down to a very reasonable level.:thumbsup:

Chris

johncar
07-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Well it would be a saving so long as you get it right first time and that can be more of a case of some degree of luck. I noticed that the sizes/diameters seem different in the US so a bit hard to compare.
I decided to go local with my last prop because I did not feel confident in getting it right. Although it was about 50% more cost than the US, I bought here from Solas and just as well too because the 1st choice didn't work well and Solas were kind enough to exchange it for another for no extra cost. The second prop is much better for my setup and they applied extra cupping as well to the second prop to suit what I wanted to achieve. This sort of fine tuning is awkward when buying from OS but if you know exactly what you want and they have it I guess there is a saving there.

Smithy
07-05-2012, 08:41 PM
For my old 12' Stessl I bought in a SS Propco prop from Basspro. Between me and some mates we were having a bad run of the smaller Solas props spinning out the bushes. I even had Solas cup my Propco prop for me no dramas as the 11" pitch prop was a bit too small for the Merc 25 it went on. I haven't had a problem with the bigger Solas props though and I have had three I think.