PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota trolling motors

wirlybird
04-05-2012, 08:59 AM
http://www.creeksidesupply.com/Trolling-Motors/Minn-Kota-Saltwater-Engine-Mounted-p-779.html

In my quest to reduce my massive fuel bill i came across these has any one tried them?

I thought it would be great for motoring out the harbour while the engine is warming up and for gettig back over a drift site to save starting up the engine all the time

Noelm
04-05-2012, 10:44 AM
want to be a decent size to push that Haines through sort of chop, or anything better than a slight breeze! I have seen them used out here, kind of think they are OK, but a lot of times when using (say) a bow mount, you are in very shallow water, and you have your big motor tilted up, so as such, they do not suit what an electric is predominately used for (kind of)

wirlybird
04-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Yeah i dont expect or want much more than 6 knots and i dont fish in shallow water. Because of the 23 deg deadrise the prop is very low in the water off the plane so i dont think i will get cavitation as bad???????

I would like to see a vid of them in action to make a better decision.

it would make a great auxiliary also for brakedowns

rooboy98
04-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah i dont expect or want much more than 6 knots

G'day,

Not sure if these are going to be able to push that size boat at 6 knots. I have 2 24 volt motors (a 65 and a 70 lb) and neither can produce that sort of speed on my tinny or poly.

As for saving money.........by the time you buy an engine (and you are going to need one of the bigger models) and the 2 or 3 decent batteries required to power it, I cannot see you making any real savings in the near future.

I would be definitely talking to someone who has a larger model currently fitted to get some feedback on performance before buying one, especially if you want it to be suitable for an auxiliary in the case of a break down.

Perhaps a smaller auxilliary outboard may be cheaper/more suitable. Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
Roo.

wirlybird
04-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi rooboy
it seems to be the problem finding some one with one on thier boat to get an idea of the thrust they produce. A plastic propellor wouldnt help the lack of thrust :/

FYI batterys arnt an issue as i carry three big truck batterys anyway

Im never buying a petrol aux moter ever again the idea is so 80's and the bracket looks shite IMHO

Noelm
04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
never going to get 6 knots out of any electric motor (well nothing store bought) if you could get 1 or 2 knots consistantly out of it I would be happy, against the wind/current, well......

wirlybird
04-05-2012, 02:10 PM
bloody wind and current why do you mock me with your blowing and water movements :)

It may be easier to blow up the moon. i might go down that path

wirlybird
04-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I priced a DC 400 HP electric motor for my main engine using 6 toyota prius batterys and a small generator and i was surprised at the affordability however i couldnt get more than 2 hours out of the unit going by my maths with a battery replacement every 3 years $$$$$$. I dont think it will be much longer and we will all be going electric

Noelm
04-05-2012, 02:29 PM
I kind of thought about that years ago when a thread started about viable options for boat pwer, I think the motors exist already, the big kick arse heavy batteries are the killer., and the means to charge them up again once flat.