PDA

View Full Version : lesson 1, do your homework. another for the evilbay files

ericcs
03-05-2012, 10:27 PM
i bought this engine off ebay 2 weeks ago. the add said serviced serviced by mercury agent and guaranteed reliability. didn't see it till the day before it ended, so emailed the seller just to ask what year it was made before bidding. didn't get a reply before the auction ended, but bidded anyway and won($870). got in contact with the owner that night to organize pickup the next day. i live in brisbane, the motor was in sydney, and was picked up by a friend from canberra. while talking to him i again asked the age of the motor and was told he bought it from a mercury dealer second hand for $1800 6 years ago, and it was about 2 y/o then which looked about right looking at the decal pattern.
mate picked it up, took it back to canberra and gave me the serial number. i asked on a mercury forum, a merc dealer here and mercury marine aust. for it's age and they all came back with a 1988!!!! 9.9hp, ouch! replaced with a late model 15hp cowl.
the previous owner was very embarrassed and apologetic and vowed to look into it and contact the dealer. he got back to me and told the dealer didn't want to know about it, and that he couldn't accept it back, but offered me a refund of $400. i accepted this as it was going to be a pain to take it back to sydney, and i figure at $470, it's probably not a bad buy for a 9.9. it is quite tidy after all.
must be plenty of other people out there that don't own what they think they purchased

SWANY22
04-05-2012, 12:09 AM
just goes to show ya doesen it that ya really cant trust any one.the amount of posts on here in the last week have amased me how many people out there are trying to rip some one of.

cormorant
04-05-2012, 12:26 AM
from memory 9 and 15 cowls different so wouldn't fit if they are original stickers

Possibly just had the engine bracket changed with one from a wrecker as several models had same engine clamp for many years. A seized pivot ment changing complete clamp brackets sometimes. . Check the engine number on block against the lable on clamp.

I'd be checking compression.

Use internet parts diagram for both suspect models and check carby config and part number and you may have a 15.

OH WELL HOPE YOU DO.

Tickleish
04-05-2012, 08:09 AM
9.9 & 15 are the same cowl. I've got a 15 with a 9.9 cowl on it. 2008 model anyway.

ericcs
04-05-2012, 08:35 AM
from memory 9 and 15 cowls different so wouldn't fit if they are original stickers

Possibly just had the engine bracket changed with one from a wrecker as several models had same engine clamp for many years. A seized pivot ment changing complete clamp brackets sometimes. . Check the engine number on block against the lable on clamp.

I'd be checking compression.

Use internet parts diagram for both suspect models and check carby config and part number and you may have a 15.

OH WELL HOPE YOU DO.

did that, and they both match. i don't doubt the honesty or remorse from the seller, he is a sofetly spoken grandfather who i spoke with a couple of times over the phone and via email, and he was very dissapointed at being duped himself. whether it is a different cowling or a later model sticker kit used, it was sold to him by a dealer.

fat-buoy
04-05-2012, 09:36 AM
I agree that this is just one of those unfortunate times when both you and the seller have been hit by the actions of the dealer in the first place.. and even the dealer might have been hit by the person that sold it to him... the only reason I point the finger at the dealer is that he is in the industry so has the information to check year and model etc at his fingertips.

Bit of a bummer that you didn't get what you wanted but hopefully the motor will have a new life with you.

Cheers

ericcs
04-05-2012, 12:00 PM
i'm sure i can get $470 for it when i resell it, it is tidy. it's a pity it's not newer than 93, otherwise i could have easily put a 15hp carby and kept it. it has a smaller powerhead than post 93's so not worth the trouble.

cormorant
04-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Hi

Last thought.

If 9 and 15 had same block check and see if it has had the restrictor plate and carby changed??? Exhaust was different in some as well.

If the Grandfather has a receipt with numbers on it and it stated as a 15hp dealer has no leg to stand on and i would be having a chat and letter as the palm off is typical and a con. If the documents exist and show wrong year date or HP a quick Fair trading letter will solve it pretty fast and dealer will capiulate if he is a professional and has a clue . Hate seeing anyone get away with the initial scam and even if it is a 9 converted to a 15 it still is never worth as much as a 15 to anyone other than the original converter.

Out of interest what are of Syd was the dealer?

Hope you and the grandfather persue it out of principal if the documents exist and if stonewalled consider naming the dealer.

The Sundown Marine thread shows the influence the internet has on dealers and their business if they do not keep up to client and normal business expectaions of communication and busines practises

Good luck and hope it works ot for all parties and the motor is a good one but remember it is a tarnished item and much harder to onsell honestly as it has this terrible back story. maybe a cracked cowl and one from the wreckers is the obvious answer but a decent dealer wouldn't be caught out let alone resell it as such.

Hope it goes like a 15hp for your sake and you have many years of good service from it. Hell knows what you write on your insurance papers.

Parts diagrams here

http://www.crowleymarine.com/omc_parts.cfm

Dumb thing check the year letters accuratel as it wouldn't be teh first time I have read em wrong on older models.

http://www.theoutboardwizard.com/evinrude_model_number.html

ericcs
04-05-2012, 05:22 PM
mine has the 210cc capacity and after 92 they upped it to 262cc, so is never going to perform like a newer one, which is what i was after. i'm retiring a 70's 9.8 merc so i'm after a reasonable increase in performance.
also found out the dealership has changed hands recently?? hence their lack of interest

cormorant
04-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Oh that old exuse!!!! Depends on how the business changed but lot of times the creditors , debtor and waranty remain on the books.. New owner will want know about it if he still has same staff as after all he probably paid goodwill for the business and reputation.

softplasticsdude79
04-05-2012, 06:38 PM
who says the ebay seller didnt know this himself,and has passed it of to a dealer 6 years ago as an excuse.

ericcs
04-05-2012, 06:55 PM
i guess there is that possibility, but he did come across as an honest person, and my friend who picked the motor up said he seemed genuine, so i had no reason to be suspicious. but! thinking about it, the fact he wasn't going to accept it back makes me think, maybe your right