PDA

View Full Version : Best 12v outlet/plug for boat

truth stretcher
03-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Hi all,
What are you guys using for 12v outlets on your boats?
I want to run a fridge , hand held spotty or the like and was wondering what are the ones to use/avoid .
Thanks.

bf90
03-05-2012, 08:58 PM
I use an ordinary 12v socket and spray that little puppy with lanolin and you will have no problems with corrosion what so ever.

WalrusLike
03-05-2012, 10:11 PM
I decided to go for the cigarette lighter style plug. They are stainless and have a rubber cover plug for when not being used. You get them at marine chandlers.

I went that way because of the wide range of products and devices that use that style of plug.

Only time will tell if that was wise or not... So far so good.

deckie
03-05-2012, 10:11 PM
I use both fag and 2 pin plug. The fag plugs tho are always the ones that u do a half screw to lock in, aka hella plug. Stops vibrating loose. Make sure rated to at least 10A preferably 15A, only costs an extra 10 bux for the better ones. Blueseas make a good one that doesnt look like it'd corrode easy and rated to 12-15A, upgraded to this one recently so will see.
Polarised two pin type plugs are a better connection and many screw lock as well. Have a butchers at Bulgin Buccaneer gear which is rated IP68 i think.
Ones to avoid are anything cheap and fragile plastic looking stuff, a spotty can draw 10A and the plugs and sockets been known to melt. You also need them to be pretty splash/waterproof for cleaning/rain. Just not something u want to skimp on i reckon.
Make sure wiring is good and big enough for long runs on higher drawing stuff like halogen spotties. Dont be afraid to switch out plugs supplied with gear u have...they can put rubbish plugs on good gear.
For the fridge u might want to look at a quality small anderson plug setup, but never run one and best to ask others.
Steve

PinHead
04-05-2012, 02:50 AM
the cheapest and simplest way..a standard 240v GPO..very little corrosion problems in them..you have switching.

Roughasguts
04-05-2012, 03:03 AM
the cheapest and simplest way..a standard 240v GPO..very little corrosion problems in them..you have switching.

Trouble with the GPO is there low Amp Rated and the switch can melt in no time.

EG: I used one to cut the fuel pump power supply from my fuel pump on the car! when turned on it would get quite hot.

Also used on to Bi-Pass the thermo fan so I could run it for longer to keep turbo cooler and give A/C condensor a better flow! that just melted in no time.

Then stuck a crappy 12 volt toggle switch on both no more heat from the switch!

Cheers

charleville
04-05-2012, 11:15 AM
I decided to go for the cigarette lighter style plug. They are stainless and have a rubber cover plug for when not being used. You get them at marine chandlers.

I went that way because of the wide range of products and devices that use that style of plug.

Did the same for a couple of sockets on my tinnie for the same reason. They don't last forever. I have replaced them a couple of times over the past ten years but at least by using those sockets, you don't need to re-terminate every plug with a special one of some sort.

Cannot really recommend them for super important stuff but they do for spotties and as a power source to my handheld GPS.

peterbo3
04-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Marinco. Made to last in the USA.

Noelm
04-05-2012, 01:21 PM
as Pete says, or there is readily avaiable a full brass, chrome plated, polarised socket that has a screw on cap, the one Pete mentions is here
http://bla.com.au/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=4&q=electrical+socket

peterbo3
04-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Actually, I meant this one. Going to use it for an electric reel.
http://www.marinco.com/product/sealink-deluxe-12-volt-receptacle-plug
But the plug Noel linked to is going to be more expensive at a guess.