PDA

View Full Version : A Different Side to the Post. (What Would You Do ?)

copie
03-05-2012, 09:50 AM
I would like to hear how you all go about buying and selling second hand items to someone not near by.
I myself have bought and sold items on Ausfish as well as elsewhere. I dont think i want to transfer money to someones account and then wait for the item to be sent nor would i send the item and hope they pay for it when it arrives.
Not sure if people are aware that Aust. Post offers a CASH ON COLLECTION system, basically you send you item in the post the reciever gets notification that its at his local post office and can be collected and payed for there. Aust. Post then sends you a money order. Sems to me to be the only way both partys are satisfied.
So what other options have we got to satisfy boths ends of the buy and sell of second hand goods.

Mark

Noelm
03-05-2012, 11:09 AM
There is all sorts of drama buying and selling long distance, I had major drama selling my boat to a guy in Melbourne, and none of it was his or my fault, the element of trust I think should only go so far, money needs to have changed hands before anything is said to be "in the post" or goods handed over, now how this happens can be a bit of a balancing act, especially for big items like boats and so on. I guess for smaller things, there may come a time when you will just have to take the risk, no one is going to (say) drive from Sydney to Brisbane to buy a $100 item, maybe this is what these people rely on to make money.

Fed
03-05-2012, 11:49 AM
I've sued a few people over the years and it can be a lot of fun, not sure how it would go interstate though.

Local court-> fill out the form-> pay the fee (which gets added on)->
the Sheriff serves the bluey-> the people ignore it and get found guilty->
The Sheriff then goes out & tags their goods & chattels for auction->
Then they pay including costs.

copie
03-05-2012, 01:51 PM
There is all sorts of drama buying and selling long distance, I had major drama selling my boat to a guy in Melbourne, and none of it was his or my fault, the element of trust I think should only go so far, money needs to have changed hands before anything is said to be "in the post" or goods handed over, now how this happens can be a bit of a balancing act, especially for big items like boats and so on. I guess for smaller things, there may come a time when you will just have to take the risk, no one is going to (say) drive from Sydney to Brisbane to buy a $100 item, maybe this is what these people rely on to make money.
Noelm as i stated in my post both money and goods can be handed over at the same time at any post office in Australia eliminates all the risk. I guess i am refering to items like sounders,gps, rods, reels, props etc. I also purchased a boat in sydney and i am in brisbane at the end of many phone calls and photo exchanges i drove to sydney inspected and water tested the boat transfered the money there and then and towed it home, to me all worth the effort for large money amounts.

Mark

PROS
03-05-2012, 02:18 PM
I own an automotive/aviation upholstery business, we produce thousands of sets of custom upholstery every year, posting all around Australia and overseas.

We had soo much problem in the past with COD from the sellers point of view.

When item posted via COD, post office puts high visibility yellow sticky tape on with continuous "COD" writing.
You cant miss that item is COD. Buyer goes to post office to collect the package and pays on the spot.
Yet, many of our packages delivered straight to customers house, without collecting any money.

Sometime, buyer dont collect the package for a while or not collect at all.
Package returns back to us few months later.

Some buyers are honest, calls immediately and explains what happens and pays.
Many packages go unnoticed.
Dealing with Auspost on these issues takes forever.
Furthermore, Auspost archives COD details every 6 months if I remember correctly.
Once this time is passed no more investigation can be done.

On top of this, manual paper work required for COD is time consuming,

This is the reason why not many business deals with COD.

Regards

Max Ungun
PROSEAT
Auto Aircraft Marine Interior Centre

fandtm666
03-05-2012, 02:50 PM
i have bought and sold plenty on various forums- ebay and alike

1: i always use express postage with insurance

2: if buying and the item is over $100 i request a pic of the
item and if electrical a pic of it working and serial number.

3: if ebay i pay via paypal if it out of ebay i do direct deposit
but request a scan of their photo id so i can confirm its their account.

i have been caught out a couple times early on but learnt and on
one occasion sent a few freinds to pickup the item or get cash back when it
necer arrived and was told this that and the other about why i did not receive it.

fat-buoy
03-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Paypal looks to be the way to go..

At least you have some protection... thing with Paypal though is that you have only got 40 days to lodge complaint if something goes wrong. I got caught out after buying a Xmas gift and paying by Paypal only to find out after Xmas that the item didn't even work :( .. so the 40 day period was over before I was told it was faulty and of course Paypal stand hard and fast on their time limits.. buyer beware!!

PinHead
03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Many years ago..I sold to boat to a bloke in Adelaide..he sent a bank cheque to the boat transport mob..I deliverds the boat there..they inspected the boat..I got the cheque.

Much easier these days....money in my acount then I despatch the goods.

copie
03-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Many years ago..I sold to boat to a bloke in Adelaide..he sent a bank cheque to the boat transport mob..I deliverds the boat there..they inspected the boat..I got the cheque.

Much easier these days....money in my acount then I despatch the goods.
PinHead yes i agree you are right, much easier these days money transfer then send the goods BUT thats exactly how this all started with this scum bag SCOTT KIRCHNER, give him the money and recieve nothing. I dought whether he even owned a furno sounder to sell in first place.
So its easy to deposit the money in my account and then i will send it when you are the seller but do you apply the same rules when you are the buyer. Maybe or Maybe not anymore.

Mark

PinHead
04-05-2012, 01:16 AM
PinHead yes i agree you are right, much easier these days money transfer then send the goods BUT thats exactly how this all started with this scum bag SCOTT KIRCHNER, give him the money and recieve nothing. I dought whether he even owned a furno sounder to sell in first place.
So its easy to deposit the money in my account and then i will send it when you are the seller but do you apply the same rules when you are the buyer. Maybe or Maybe not anymore.

Mark

I have bought items the same way..so far so good.

PROS
04-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Paypal looks to be the way to go..

At least you have some protection... thing with Paypal though is that you have only got 40 days to lodge complaint if something goes wrong. I got caught out after buying a Xmas gift and paying by Paypal only to find out after Xmas that the item didn't even work :( .. so the 40 day period was over before I was told it was faulty and of course Paypal stand hard and fast on their time limits.. buyer beware!!

Paypal does open disputes even if 40 day period is passed.
You need to get in touch with them directly for this, not through internet.

Zippidy
04-05-2012, 12:45 PM
I've sued a few people over the years and it can be a lot of fun, not sure how it would go interstate though.

Local court-> fill out the form-> pay the fee (which gets added on)->
the Sheriff serves the bluey-> the people ignore it and get found guilty->
The Sheriff then goes out & tags their goods & chattels for auction->
Then they pay including costs.

The joys of getting Default Judgement.

I had some bloke owe a client money and he was a big NRL fan. I got Default Judgement and organised a warrant for his arrest. He got arrested on the Friday before the NRL grand Final last year and I left him in lock-up until the Monday morning. His solicitor called me at 4.45pm on the Friday afternoon and by then I was at the pub so I left him there.

softplasticsdude79
04-05-2012, 02:28 PM
i sell on ebay and have for years,paypal is a great service except there in no seller protection,all the buyer needs to do is lodge a complaint that the goods havnt arrived and paypal will debit the sale cost back to the buyer from the sellers account, and theres nothing you can do unless you have a registered signed recieved receipt,and on small sales of $20 or so,it does not warrant nor does the buyer wish to pay for registered post,so therefore leaves a grey area for sellers,I have been lucky the last 12 months and only had 3 buyers put a claim in despite my 100% feedback.

paypal were not interested in the last case where judging by feedback, that buyer had done the same before to other sellers,yet my perfect feedback meant nothing and i was forced to redeliver another set of goods via registered post at my cost,or they would deduct the ammount from my account.

I once heard of a bloke through a friend that sold a golf cart via ebay,buyer paid via paypal and collected that day,The buyer than lodged a complaint within the week that his Golf cart hadnt been delivered as promised,and without any proof,paypal than gave the seller 7 days to respond,to which he had no sufficient paperwork so they deducted that ammount back from his account.The buyer then had a $2000 golf cart,plus $2000.I know he was going to a solicitor and i never heard how it ended.

lesson is only sell via registered signed post unless you can afford to lose the goods to a dishonest buyer,or if the customer picks up get them to sign a stat dec and record there drivers Id so if they lodge a claim after they get home with your goods,you can provide documents to paypal.

copie
05-05-2012, 04:41 PM
i sell on ebay and have for years,paypal is a great service except there in no seller protection,all the buyer needs to do is lodge a complaint that the goods havnt arrived and paypal will debit the sale cost back to the buyer from the sellers account, and theres nothing you can do unless you have a registered signed recieved receipt,and on small sales of $20 or so,it does not warrant nor does the buyer wish to pay for registered post,so therefore leaves a grey area for sellers,I have been lucky the last 12 months and only had 3 buyers put a claim in despite my 100% feedback.

paypal were not interested in the last case where judging by feedback, that buyer had done the same before to other sellers,yet my perfect feedback meant nothing and i was forced to redeliver another set of goods via registered post at my cost,or they would deduct the ammount from my account.

I once heard of a bloke through a friend that sold a golf cart via ebay,buyer paid via paypal and collected that day,The buyer than lodged a complaint within the week that his Golf cart hadnt been delivered as promised,and without any proof,paypal than gave the seller 7 days to respond,to which he had no sufficient paperwork so they deducted that ammount back from his account.The buyer then had a $2000 golf cart,plus $2000.I know he was going to a solicitor and i never heard how it ended.

lesson is only sell via registered signed post unless you can afford to lose the goods to a dishonest buyer,or if the customer picks up get them to sign a stat dec and record there drivers Id so if they lodge a claim after they get home with your goods,you can provide documents to paypal.
Hey softplasticsdude79 certainly some lessons to be learnt there i definitely think its cash if near by or COD post if not for me in the future.

Mark

PinHead
05-05-2012, 05:15 PM
The joys of getting Default Judgement.

I had some bloke owe a client money and he was a big NRL fan. I got Default Judgement and organised a warrant for his arrest. He got arrested on the Friday before the NRL grand Final last year and I left him in lock-up until the Monday morning. His solicitor called me at 4.45pm on the Friday afternoon and by then I was at the pub so I left him there.

how can you get someone arrested for owing money ? Never heard of that one..it is civil not criminal.

Stuart
05-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Must of read my mind Pinhead.

BM
05-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Must of read my mind Pinhead.

I agree. That doesn't read right.

Zippidy
07-05-2012, 09:58 PM
how can you get someone arrested for owing money ? Never heard of that one..it is civil not criminal.

Default Judgement obtained and served him for an Enforcement Hearing but was a no show.

Bear001
08-05-2012, 08:36 AM
My last 2 big purchases were vehicles bought 'sight unseen'...from all around australia!!!
My X8 ute from Alice Springs - had a mate up there look at it. Transfered deposit EFT, balance prior to transport truck collecting it.
My 650 Cruiser from Townsville - same deal (but had no-one look at it)
Spose Ive been lucky for such big items. Both sellers were great, decent guys. Emails make life easy,with REVS docs, service docs, photos's etc etc as does speaking to the dealer who sold/serviced their vehicles to confirm details.

We've sold a lot of our earthmoving gear privately the same & big dollars involved. Some buyers have bought 'sight unseen' $200,000 equipment!!!! One even paid us to drive the bloody truck 2500klm to South Australia as they needed it ASAP for harvest & couldnt spare staff or get it trucked in time...flew us home etc.

Guess we have been lucky. Paypal for most smaller stuff.

TheRealAndy
08-05-2012, 08:40 AM

You can't, however you can be jailed for ignoring specific directions of a court, such as failing to appear.

BigE
08-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Could always advertise the items come with a money back limp if not satisfied!