PDA

View Full Version : BoatCollar - anyone have any experience with these?

spelchek
02-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Just idle curiosity, really. Have wondered about them since seeing the ads in QFM for the last ? months. Not really contemplating one, but a bit interested in their claims that they deflect spray, and just generally curious to hear if anyone here has or knows someone who has put one on.

moater
02-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Are they the Kapten collars??

Being a Vic I haven't read QFM lately but have been interested in the Kapten for some time and am looking at the possibility of having some on my next boat...when I sell my present boat ::).

Mr__Bean
02-05-2012, 01:00 PM
THey look ugly, a bit like a Merv Hughes moustache

Darren

http://www.kaptenboatcollar.com/uploads/7/1/3/3/7133578/5016452_orig.jpg

Fafnir
02-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Thinking about putting some on my boat. They are ugly as, but given that my boat leaks a bit I like the idea of extra buoyancy that would help it float the right way up if it pops a bigger leak.

charleville
02-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Thinking about putting some on my boat. They are ugly as, but given that my boat leaks a bit I like the idea of extra buoyancy that would help it float the right way up if it pops a bigger leak.

That sounds dangerously like a band aid solution to a gun shot wound.

lucee81
02-05-2012, 02:23 PM

not sure if you have a fiberglass or ally boat but if its ally getting the hole plugged is not an expensive exercise. in relation to a leaking boat. You may even find getting the hole plugged cheaper than buying the collar.

spelchek
02-05-2012, 02:52 PM
On looking through their website (esp. the testimonials) I'm wondering if this isn;t the answere to a dryer boat instead of my plan to ad a bimini/clears. I really don;t want a roof but resigned myself that it was really the only option.

Pus, I assume once the collar is fitted, I could gain loads of underfloor storage by removing the positive buoyancy foam.

Hmmmm.....

(yeah, pig ugly but)

cormorant
02-05-2012, 03:25 PM
This isn't a replacement for properly placed bouyancy foam the way it is attached etc etc. and could void insurance etc if you modify a boat with a modern builders plate on it and someone dies etc etc

Just goes to show you don't have to buy a stabi to end up with a boat that looks as ugly as one!!!! Ducking for cover now. ;D

Seriously if spray is the enemy put on some spray rails be it a glass or ally boat . If bouyancy is the problem I don't see it as a safe solution as the rest of the boat is probably not designed to be out in the conditions. Like a lot of things be it permatrims etc they may be suitable when applied to help something but shouldn't be used as a cure al -l in unsuitable circumstances.

I can see a few things I don't think are real good about the collar and especially teh way it can change the balance of a boat at rest. Need to really look at the dynamics from someone who is a marine architect. It doesn't take much to make some boats dangerously unstable.

On larger boats it doesn't take much to go overwidth on the trailer either.

Great to see people still trying innovation with new materials.

Who wants to tel me how long no more nails will last ?

Fafnir
02-05-2012, 05:22 PM
That sounds dangerously like a band aid solution to a gun shot wound.

It's actually not that bad. It's not like my feet are getting wet. But I do like the idea of extra insurance.

not sure if you have a fiberglass or ally boat but if its ally getting the hole plugged is not an expensive exercise. in relation to a leaking boat. You may even find getting the hole plugged cheaper than buying the collar.

Unfortunately it's not one hole. I in fact can't see any holes, can't see where it comes in at all, but after a couple of hours fishing the bilge pump runs for a while so it's coming in somewhere. Maybe I should just buy another hull, but for the moment it still floats fine and those Kaptans look like an inexpensive back up.

cormorant
02-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Put some water in the bilge at home on the trailer and see where it leaks from. Usually engine mount holes, drain bungs or fittings they screw into , hull fittings .

Little leaks can turn into bigger problems and they aren't that hard to find.

Giffo65
02-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Brad,just buy the Arvor we talked about,problem solved ! Book me in for the first trip.

spelchek
02-05-2012, 07:55 PM
LMAO. Yeah, no worries. Now I just got to figure out how to pay for it. Anyone wanna buy a sounder? :D

netmaker
02-05-2012, 08:09 PM
i have been looking at the collar also. it is next on my list of boat to-do's. dont care about the fugly factor. my tinny had the middle seat removed way back which included over 1/3 of my buoyancy. since i have added lots of crap since, i am sure that a swamping would sink (or near sink) me. having watched the you tube clips i expect i will be offshore this time next year - in the right weather conditions of course, and expect to do it easier than in my mates 5m.
cheers

moater
02-05-2012, 08:59 PM
i have been looking at the collar also. it is next on my list of boat to-do's. dont care about the fugly factor. my tinny had the middle seat removed way back which included over 1/3 of my buoyancy. since i have added lots of crap since, i am sure that a swamping would sink (or near sink) me.
cheers

Yep, there's nothing like staying alive, who gives a stuff if it looks ugly/different.
;)

Darren

Muddy Toes
02-05-2012, 09:03 PM
LMAO. Yeah, no worries. Now I just got to figure out how to pay for it. Anyone wanna buy a sounder? :D

Very well done mate.......it didn't go to waste.