PDA

View Full Version : Giant croc seen in Mary River near Maryborough (map pics attached)

GraemeW
02-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Report from Fraser Coast Chronicle today.

Link >> http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/story/2012/05/02/giant-croc-seen-in-mary-river/

Giant croc seen in Mary River

2nd May 2012 6:41 AM

WILDLIFE rangers will today try to capture a large crocodile seen in the Mary River near Maryborough. Environment and Heritage Protection Minister Andrew Powell yesterday confirmed rangers were preparing to capture the 3.5 metre saltwater crocodile reported to the department by a commercial fisherman on Tuesday.
"The crocodile was sighted on a mudbank about two kilometres from Beaver Rock boat ramp, opposite Bros Island," Mr Powell said.
Rangers yesterday confirmed the presence of the crocodile and made arrangements for a trap to be set in the Mary River this morning.
"In line with the crocodile management policy, any crocodile caught south of the Boyne River (near Gladstone) will be targeted for removal and relocated to a crocodile farm or zoo.
"Although there have been a number of anecdotal reports of crocodiles sighted in the Great Sandy Straits and Mary River over recent years, this is the first confirmed sighting.
"I'm advised that the area where the crocodile was seen is well upstream from where anyone would be likely to go swimming, but it would be used by people fishing, catching prawns and pumping worms and yabbies," Mr Powell said.
"Although this is a rare sighting of a saltwater crocodile this far south, people need to be sensible and stay away from the area."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report from Australian newspaper >> http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news-old/large-crocodile-seen-near-maryborough/story-fn3dxity-1226344120711

It states: 'A 2010 environment department survey examined 48 rivers and found no evidence of crocs between the Fitzroy River to the north and Maryborough, which lies west of Fraser Island.'

Fafnir
02-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Wouldn't want to be kayaking in that area. If there's one there, makes me wonder if there are others in the Great Sandy Strait?

GraemeW
02-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Was told this story.
He swears it is true.

Many years ago a mate of mine was fishing in the Burrum River & snagged his cast net.
He leant over the edge of his boat to feel what it was caught on.
He said he was feeling around & felt something, feeeling around a bit more realised it seemed like a foot then claws.
He then explored further along a felt a snout then teeth !!
He said he almost broke his elbow on the side of his boat getting his arm out of the water.
He gave the net a few tugs after recovering from the initial shock.
The croc then opened its jaws & let his net go.
I was told that that wasnt his first encounter with one in that area.
He had seen one on the bank sunning itself.
Told me it was black.
The incident with the cast net was the first up close & personal encounter with one in the area.

He told one other person of the incident at the time (I didn't know him then).
Next day the whole town knew about it & the day after a big story was in the local paper about crocs in the area.

Peter4
02-05-2012, 10:42 AM
This sighting seems quite genuine and traps are being set in the Mary River today.

My only angst is the label of a 3.5m croc as a 'giant'. If it was 6m maybe....

fuglee
02-05-2012, 11:19 AM
When I was a kid we lived in Maryborough in the early sixties My mates parents had a farm out at Tairo on the Mary river We used to go swimming there and pinch watermelons till the next door farmer shot a fair lump of a croc there They put it on display in JACK CASEYS garage and charged I think it was threepence to get in We had to find another swimming hole but we didnt give up pinching watermelons though

Si
02-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Why does it need to be removed to a zoo?? I know that it stated it was policy but its just doing its thing in IT'S environment.

thedeckie
02-05-2012, 11:53 AM
This sighting seems quite genuine and traps are being set in the Mary River today.

My only angst is the label of a 3.5m croc as a 'giant'. If it was 6m maybe....

I rekon if a 3.5m croc swam up beside you, you would probably say it was a giant.....right after you cleaned your undies.

Regardless of size, no doubt that they will all eat you.

Cheers

Paul

lucee81
02-05-2012, 12:43 PM
I rekon if a 3.5m croc swam up beside you, you would probably say it was a giant.....right after you cleaned your undies.

Regardless of size, no doubt that they will all eat you.

Cheers

Paul

I will say a 3.5mt croc is not giant, in a canoe/kayak maybe but it is stated in the paper as GIANT, I would be hesitant to call it pretty big let alone giant. Just my 0.02¢ worth

ifishcq1
02-05-2012, 05:05 PM
We have a few proper ones around here, almost right in the middle of town and they never get moved on unless they start getting too friendly
a 3.5m baby croc hardly worth a mention really when chances are there is a real one not far away
one that size is hardly likely to bother anything as big as an adult anyway other than in breeding season for territorial reasons more so than a feed
as the temps drop they slow down and probably wouldn't even raise a glance at a kayaker, after winter when it warms up again it might be a different story
Cheers

ifishcq1
02-05-2012, 05:46 PM
I checked out the pics on the croc in The Mary and it doesn't look anything like 3.5 lucky to be 3m from an educated guess
so here are a couple of local pics from a legit 3.6m right near the boat ramp to compare to

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh497/cqfisher/36croc.jpg
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh497/cqfisher/36croc2.jpg

cheers

WalrusLike
02-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Ya gotta love that self satisfied smirk they always have on their snout.

ifishcq1
02-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Yeah you're right, I never looked at that way before

cheers

rumy1
02-05-2012, 07:27 PM
I live in Gladstone and have never seen a croc, be interested in any stories about them and where they have been spotted in Central or South QLD. Has any-one seen one in Gladstone area?

Mr__Bean
02-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Is it saltwater at Maryborough or does it turn fresh by then?

Darren

-Chris-
02-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Is it saltwater at Maryborough or does it turn fresh by then?

Darren

It's salt mate, as to the above comment they are definitely around Gladstone with confirmed sightings in the Boyne and the Narrows. Have heard of plenty of sightings in Pancake creek to the south also, which I guess to anyone sceptical doesn't sound so far fetched now does it.

WalrusLike
02-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Even without climate change it's always seemed to me that their range could be much bigger.

I don't know if the Beenleigh croc farm still exists but I am under the impression that they kept them in unheated ponds.

I could be wrong about that but if I am right then it kind of proves they can survive down in SEQ.

Once we all stopped shooting them they presumably will keep growing in numbers till they are at pre colonial numbers.

I know two facts that support my thinking that they will eventually range down here to Brisbane.

Firstly they can swim big distances. A decade or two ago there were two very surprised fishos 25 klms off Mackay who looked down into the blue ocean beside their tinnie and saw a big croc longer than their boat. So they can travel. (after all they make good suitcases)

Next is the fact that as population rises the males fight for territory and the losers get on the move looking for a new territory.

When I first drove my 4wd down here in SEQ it was a real pleasure to be able to walk a water crossing first for depth without having to worry about being eaten.

I might be daft but I reckon my kids might live to see them one day in Oxley Creek.

-Chris-
02-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Even without climate change it's always seemed to me that their range could be much bigger.

I don't know if the Beenleigh croc farm still exists but I am under the impression that they kept them in unheated ponds.

I could be wrong about that but if I am right then it kind of proves they can survive down in SEQ.

Once we all stopped shooting them they presumably will keep growing in numbers till they are at pre colonial numbers.

I know two facts that support my thinking that they will eventually range down here to Brisbane.

Firstly they can swim big distances. A decade or two ago there were two very surprised fishos 25 klms off Mackay who looked down into the blue ocean beside their tinnie and saw a big croc longer than their boat. So they can travel. (after all they make good suitcases)

Next is the fact that as population rises the males fight for territory and the losers get on the move looking for a new territory.

When I first drove my 4wd down here in SEQ it was a real pleasure to be able to walk a water crossing first for depth without having to worry about being eaten.

I might be daft but I reckon my kids might live to see them one day in Oxley Creek.

They used to inhabit SEQ in limited numbers but were shot out a long long time ago. A bit of research on Google may reinforce my statement, fairly sure there are pictures of one shot in the Logan river?

rando
02-05-2012, 09:39 PM
So would 1770 be regarded as within their known range? For instance would you risk using a drag net there.??

grinnerking
02-05-2012, 09:51 PM
I find this really interesting.

I get excited when I hear of southern barra catches in the Noosa and further south and now a confirmed sighting with pics.

I reckon anywhere you can catch a Barra, a croc could also be found there as conditions such as water temps, food sources etc would be within similar requirements. Not to mention the flooding of many catchments over the past couple of years giving an opportunity of easier movements. Maybe a few have followed the barra migration that have headed south from the dam overflows?

Lucky_Phill
03-05-2012, 06:26 AM
So would 1770 be regarded as within their known range? For instance would you risk using a drag net there.??

Locals will tell you big lizards have been spotted there.

I have visited the place very regularly since 1979 and not seen one, doesn't mean they are not there.

Could easily have a home up Jenny Linde, Middle, Eurimbula , Pancake and Round Hill creeks. Wouldn't surprize me to know they were down the Baffle either.

I have traveresed Deep Water creek to the south of 1770 and it does look " Pre-historic " , never noticed big grinning lizards.

I used to water ski in Round Hill creek, until they made it a 6 knot zone.

Never considered Crocs, only shark and stone fish.

cheers LP

Blythy
03-05-2012, 08:42 AM

I used to use a drag net around Townsville, had more problems with sharks then crocs, everything that we do has somesort of inherent risk, I would be more worried about drowning in my boat then getting taken by a croc. Having said that, swimming around the boat ramps in the bohle or burdekin river might not be a real good idea.

Axl
03-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Here is a pic of the one that was shot in the Logan river back in 1905:o.

GraemeW
03-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Report from todays Fraser Coast Chronicle.

The croc rumour is real

3rd May 2012 2:00 AM

A PIECE of pork and a 5m aluminium trap may be the key to capturing a giant crocodile spotted in the Mary River, with rangers carrying out torch-light patrols overnight in a bid to find the beast.

Officers from the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection have been scouring the riverbanks near Beaver Rock since the 3.5m saltwater croc was reported by a fisherman on Monday.

It was photographed the next day by rangers, making it the first confirmed sighting this far south.

But Department of Environment and Heritage Protection wildlife operations manager Adam Northam said the reptile seemed shy after all the attention he had received.

"This croc has not displayed any aggressive behaviour towards boats or vehicles," he said.

"He's just minding his own business.

"We haven't seen it since Tuesday so he might have been startled and left the area."

The mangroves lining the Mary River would be classic croc country if they were further north but, despite unconfirmed reports, Mr Northam said it was the first time government officials had managed to get photographic evidence of crocodiles in the region.

"We carry out annual surveys and we've never had one recorded here before," Mr Northam said.

"The fact that there is now one confirmed is proof that they can, do and will turn up here."

He was hopeful the estuarine saltwater crocodile could be caught within days, after a tripwire trap was baited with meat to lure it in.

Although there would be teams of rangers patrolling the river both day and night in hope of spotting the snapper again, Mr Northam urged sightseers to stay away from the animal if they saw it.

"We don't want people to harass it, we want it to feel comfortable so he will come out and eat the bait," he said.

Mr Northam said the crocodile's appearance was unlikely to be related to the floods, although some local fishermen believed there might be a connection.

"We can't tell if it's a large female or a young male and it's hard to say how long it has been here but it's probably only been a short time," he said.

"They move up and down the coast and he probably was just passing through, lost his way a little and ended up here."

GraemeW
03-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Fraser Coast Chronicle report

Fisherman shocked

3rd May 2012 5:43 AM

IN HIS 30-year career as a commercial fisherman, Kevin Greenhalgh has heard plenty of tall tales and shared a few of his own.

But when the Tinana man spotted a massive croc on the banks of the Mary River, it was not just another whopper.

Mr Greenhalgh said he was shocked after coming across the crocodile when taking his boat down the river near Brothers Island at Beaver Rock on Monday.

"He was just sunning himself on the bank - a creature that size doesn't move that quickly," he said.

"He didn't see me or smell me at first because the wind was blowing the other way.

"When he saw me looking at him, he just slipped into the water and I never saw him again."

Mr Greenhalgh might have been tempted to think the 3.5m reptile was just a figment of his imagination, except for a few tell-tale signs.

"He left marks on the mud; the indentations where his claws went into the mud were pretty deep," he said.

Despite the fuss, Mr Greenhalgh said this croc was just a "new kid on the block" and it would not be alone.

He said he'd heard numerous accounts from fishermen who had spotted crocs in the river and Sandy Strait and once he even discovered what he believed to be a crocodile nest near River Heads.

"I saw another croc in the river about 10 years ago, around Copenhagen Bend, but he was nowhere as big as this fella," he said.

"The other one was maybe 1.5m but this one was much bigger than that."

Alert to the danger of the croc's snapping jaws, Mr Greenhalgh was concerned for the safety of people using Beaver Rock boat ramp.

"I thought I should alert the authorities because a lot of people muck around on the river and camp at the boat ramp with young children," he said.

"With a thing that size, it's possible he could take a child. I won't be standing in the water near the boat ramp, that's for sure."

GraemeW
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Crocs in the river is old news

3rd May 2012 5:44 AM

THE myth of Maryborough's mysterious Mary River crocodile grew some legs yesterday, after a large crocodile was officially sighted on the banks of the river.

While tall tales of the scaly creatures have been spread throughout the region in the past 100 years, only two crocodiles have been officially sighted.

The Mary River was believed to be croc-free until July 3, 1947 when Mervyn Golenstein shot a crocodile in the river near Dundathu.

Measuring a whopping 10ft 5inches (3.2m), the large croc became the first official sighting of the dangerous species in the area.

In 1964, a large female crocodile measuring 11ft 1inch (3.4m) was shot by Jim Greemsill and Mr Reinekka, in the Mary River near Tiaro.

The skin of the large reptile was donated to Bauple's Museum and remains on show.

Bauple museum member Lillian Coyne said the dead crocodile confirmed people's suspicions that the river could have crocodiles.

"No one really believed that crocodiles would live this far down the coast, but this confirmed it," she said.

While the rumour mill in Maryborough has run wild with crocodile stories in the past, Fraser Coast fishermen believed crocodiles had inhabited the river system for years.

One Maryborough fisherman, who asked not to be named, said he had seen small crocodile slides on the riverbank for years.

"There are small slides along the riverbank that can be seen at low tide," he said. "I've also heard reports of baby crocodiles drifting in the water too."

Pic info: A 10ft 5inch long crocodile was shot in the Mary River near Dundathu in 1947

Cods Whallup
03-05-2012, 10:54 PM
I was fishing and crabbing in Kauri creek before easter and had a little chuckle when i saw a "beware of crocodiles" sign, when i saw those pics on the news, I soon lost that smile! Just treat the area as if they might be there and keep your eyes open, people have lived around crocs for a long time. Its saltwater, its mangrove lined creeks and its Queensland, got to love it!!

lucee81
04-05-2012, 06:41 AM
These reporters baffle me first reports were of a GIANT croc now they are saying large female or small male, No word of giant any where.
They are stating that its the first sighting of a croc this far south however there are photos claiming otherwise.
As they say never let the truth get in the way of a good story, i no longer see news companies as a way to get facts more an entertainment piece.
The croc in question needs a couple of meters added to it before it should have ever been deemed as GIANT. and 1 croc in a river system, hold on people we are all going to get eaten. reporters...bunch of muppets making thing worse than they actually are. must of been a slow week up north all the action was on the Gold coast and Sydney...

GraemeW
04-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Crocs of the Mary

Fraser Coast Chronicle 4th May 2012 10:19 AM

THE chase for the Mary River crocodile has barely caused a ripple in the ranks of the professional fishermen that farm the upper reaches of the river each and every day.

But while they are not expressing any concerns about their safety, they aren't complaining that Parks and Wildlife officers are trying to trap the croc and relocate it elsewhere.

Adrian Nowitzke is a fourth-generation Mary River fisherman and he said sightings of crocs in the river came along every 10 years or so.

"When we were kids we'd set out traps and lines with the hope of catching a crocodile but we weren't Steve Irwin and we never came close," he said.

"A few years ago I actually ran over a big one in the river near Mudlow Creek but other than that I haven't seen any and I've been putting nets in the river all my life.

"While I say I haven't seen any others, I have seen their prints in the mud on the banks and I'd rather have any big ones taken elsewhere than left to get bigger. If they stay here someone will eventually get hurt."

The recent sighting has brought to life all the croc stories the Mary has to offer.

Those reflect that Yankee Jack's Creek has long been known to have a resident croc, fishermen have pulled up small baby crocs in their crab pots for more than 100 years, Stewart Island residents lost a number of dogs to crocs some years ago and in 1999, a fisherman actually had one estimated at more than 3m tangled in his net for 15 minutes before it thrashed its way free.

That fisherman was Garry Whittaker and he was keen to recall his crocodile experience when he pulled into the Beaver Rock boat ramp yesterday.

"I had the net set across from the river near the meatworks when it exploded and started twisting madly," he said.

"The croc had a big barramundi in its mouth and was thrashing around rolling over and over making the net almost a single line.

"The guys on the wharf saw what was happening and yelled out and asked if I was all right.

"I wasn't too keen to pull the net aboard and I was far from upset when he smashed its way out of it."

Like Adrian Nowitzke, he was also supportive that the latest croc would be taken away, although he didn't have any fear about it being in his backyard.

"I have been a little more careful standing in the water at the boat ramp since I heard about it and probably might refrain from taking a dip on a hot day until this one disappears," Garry said.

Pic info: The crowd gathered to see the big saltwater croc that was hunted down and killed in 1964 in the Mary River.

GraemeW
04-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Mystery salty leaves bait in trap

Fraser Coast Chronicle 4th May 2012

MARY River's mysterious crocodile has proved to be an elusive character, with not even a nibble on the bait set out to catch the 3.5 metre reptile.
Despite several patrols in search of the estuarine saltwater croc, rangers yesterday reported the trap remained empty yesterday afternoon.

Another team of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) wildlife rangers set out for a torch-lit search as the Chronicle went to print yesterday, in hope the crocodile would be spotted hunting in the night.

However, the rangers remain hopeful the croc will be lured in by the scent of his favourite food - raw pork.

The meat was chosen because the crocodile is believed to be snacking on feral pigs that live in the mangroves, so he will be used to the taste.

"We've baited the trap with a portion of a pig's carcass, the smell of which should attract the crocodile as it's a favourite food for these animals," Department of Environment and Heritage Protection Wildlife director Dr Ashley Bunce said.

Tinana fisherman Kevin Greenhalgh spotted the beast sunning itself on the banks of the Mary River on Monday, sparking a national croc-spotting frenzy.

But sight-seers have been asked to stay away from the region in case the animal is scared away before it can be caught - and also for their own safety.

"When we observed the crocodile basking on the riverbank it displayed no signs of aggression and, indeed, re-entered the water when approached," Dr Bunce said.

"The colder weather coming into winter should make locations this far south less attractive to the crocodile and it may leave of its own volition in the course of the trapping program. However we advise all members of the public not involved in the animal's capture to stay away from the location for the time being."

When caught, the crocodile will be assessed for relocation to a farm or zoo.

Pic info: Pig bait set by EHP wildlife rangers failed to lure the huge saltwater croc, first spotted in the Mary River a few days ago.

randell
05-05-2012, 06:27 AM
That's not a big croc, says me with my 12 ft canoe...
A mate sent me this yesterday, it's Africa.
Near a Village on the Niger River.
6.7 m (22 feet long), 1,133 kg(2500 pounds).

randell

Back In Black
05-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Please tell me that picture has be doctored!!!!

webby
05-05-2012, 07:47 AM
This one we tammed many years ago when living in Darwin::)

Axl
05-05-2012, 08:50 AM
That's not a big croc, says me with my 12 ft canoe...
A mate sent me this yesterday, it's Africa.
Near a Village on the Niger River.
6.7 m (22 feet long), 1,133 kg(2500 pounds).

randell

It is amaziing what they can do with digital images these days isnt it.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/niger-river-22-foot-croc.shtml

ifishcq1
05-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Webby you can't be serious about taming one? anyone feeding a croc other than in a park closed to public boating should be staked below the high tide mark!!
FFS, the last thing anyone needs in croc country is a croc that is familiar with getting a feed from any boat

cheers

Horse
05-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Now thats a giant Croc

Captain Seaweed
05-05-2012, 10:53 PM
I have just fished with a couple of 4m models at Karumba and they are big....didnt bother us buy hey I wasnt snorkelling!!!

Apollo
06-05-2012, 06:05 AM
Guess you would be about snack size to one that size Marty. Be careful!

randell
06-05-2012, 06:21 AM
It is amaziing what they can do with digital images these days isnt it.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/niger-river-22-foot-croc.shtml

thanks,
looks like 15 ft, that Hoax Slayer is good for all these claims people send you....
Still a big feed for the village..........
randell

GraemeW
09-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Chooks on menu for croc

Fraser Coast Chronicle 9th May 2012 6:53 AM

A NEW menu is on offer for the Mary River's celebrity visitor, with rangers hoping a change of diet will lure the 3.5m crocodile into a trap.

Parts of a pig carcass were used to bait a floating trap set out last Wednesday, but so far there has not even been a nibble.

Rangers from the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) decided yesterday they should vary the croc's fare with a two-course meal.

"Chickens have now been set as bait in the trap, with a fish suspended at front of the trap as a starter," EHP manager of wildlife management operations Mike Devery said.

He said a change of menu might help trap the croc but trapping the animals was never a sure thing.

"Crocodiles are wary and mobile animals by nature and sometimes crocs we're trying to trap simply move to another location - and this can be some distance away," he said.

"Rangers check this trap each evening and morning and do frequent patrols of the section of the river where the crocodile was seen, but have had no sightings of the animal since Sunday."

The estuarine saltwater crocodile was spotted by commercial fisher Kevin Greenhalgh on Monday last week, becoming the region's first officially-sighted crocodile.

As it was observed south of Gladstone, the crocodile was automatically declared a "crocodile of concern" under the department's crocodile management policy.

hellfish
09-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Anyone know of any other animals (that live in the water) whos eyes glow red in torch light at night? Maybe stingray?

GraemeW
10-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Photographer finds crocodile

Fraser Coast Chronicle 10th May 2012 4:43 AM

JUST when you thought Maryborough's unfriendly visitor had taken off, new evidence warns all to be careful in the Mary River.

The rogue 3.5metre croc which has been avoiding ranger's attempts to capture it was this week sighted and snapped by freelance photographer John Wilson.

Mr Wilson spent two days trying to find the crocodile and couldn't believe his luck when he spotted it sunning itself on the muddy riverbank among the mangroves.

Rangers set a trap for the mystery croc last week with a slab of pork which they changed to chicken and fish this week. So far the menu hasn't been to his liking.

They have now intensified their efforts and yesterday announced they placed a second trap in the river baited with fish.

The second trap resembles a large stocking with a gate at one end.

An experienced fisherman who spotted the crocodile during the week estimated that it was closer to four metres in length and questioned if the croc would fit inside the first trap dropped into the river.

Pic info: The elusive Mary River crocodile was spotted this week enjoying some sun.

rando
10-05-2012, 01:08 PM
you would think Australia Zoo would have a team up there trying to catch it,,, in their backyard so to speak!!!

Spot82
10-05-2012, 01:55 PM
There is a replica of the largest Croc ever shot in Normanton in the Gulf, 8.64m now that thing is huge!!! There is also a couple of very large resident crocs up weipa way which are 20ft plus!

Being that the Mary River has the southern most population of breeding wild barra there is no reason why crocs wouldn't inhabit the area, and there was always stories about croc sightings when I grew up in hervey bay.

Triple
10-05-2012, 03:48 PM
I think "lolong" is now the largest saltie in captivity at 6.17m (20feet3in) beating our own aussie "cassius" at only 17ft.. So I'm sure there would be a few 24ft+ swimming around.. as long as I don't see them come down the brissie river then I will be happy.
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3065/croc.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/croc.jpg/)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolong

tunaticer
10-05-2012, 04:43 PM
I wonder if the media would be told if NPWS managed to catch a couple of smaller mud geckos in the Mary whist after the big fella??

GraemeW
11-05-2012, 04:31 AM
Second trap set for croc

Fraser Coast Chronicle 11th May 2012 6:15 AM

BLUE trawler netting, steel pickets and pieces of fish are the latest weapons unveiled in the battle to catch the shy Mary River crocodile.

The materials were used yesterday afternoon to build a second trap for the croc, after it showed no interest in going near a floating steel cage that was set last week - despite a range of tempting baits, including a pig carcass, chicken and fish.

Department of Environment and Heritage Protection senior wildlife ranger Greg O'Neill said the new trap was laced with fish and would be placed on the bank rather than in the water. "Hopefully he will crawl up out of the water and take the bait, as he has been seen sunning himself on the banks," Mr O'Neill said. "Crocs don't eat very much this time of year as it's coming into the cooler months, so he might not be hungry yet."

Mr O'Neill said the croc was spotted yesterday morning close to the steel trap, so the rangers knew he had not moved on.

If the saltwater estuarine croc is not caught in the next few days, a third trap will be brought down from northern Queensland.

"We're looking at getting another floating trap to move further up the river in case he moves around," Mr O'Neill said.

The 3.5m reptile was spotted by a Tinana fisherman last week - the first crocodile seen south of Gladstone in recent years.

More pics of the croc.

GraemeW
11-05-2012, 10:32 PM
ABC Wide Bay team spot Mary River crocodile

11 May, 2012 4:21PM AEST

ABC Wide Bay's Brad Marsellos and Wayne Shearman took a relaxing trip in a tinny on the waters of the Mary River, and look who they ran into.

Whilst there, they managed to come across the Fraser Coast's most sought after reptile, a 3.5 metre saltwater crocodile, affectionately referred to as 'Mary Crocins'.

Wayne Shearman says he and ABC OPEN producer Brad Marsellos photographed the croc about two kilometres downriver from the two traps set up by the Department of Environment and Resource Management.
"There was something on one of the gently sweeping banks on the southern side of the Mary," Wayne said.

"From a safe distance, it looked like a small edge, a mud cliff, then [producer] Brad [Marsellos] said 'that's the crocodile' and all of a sudden its head turned around and we all agreed."

The large saltwater crocodile was first spotted by local fishermen on May 1.

The sighting was well south of the species' normal range, although locals say there have been anecdotal accounts of big crocs in the Mary River and the adjacent Great Sandy Straits for years.

Rangers trying to catch the crocodile near Maryborough say the reptile is showing no interest in the baited traps.

Two traps baited with chicken have been set, after the animal showed no interest in the earlier pork menu that rangers first offered to capture it.

Pic info

1 A close up of the 3.5 metre croc on the banks of the Mary River.

2 An exclusive image of the 3.5 metre crocodile in the Mary River near Maryborough.

3 The 3.5 metre saltwater crocodile about to head into the waters of the Mary River.

4 The saltwater crocodile slides into the waters of the Mary River.

5 One of the two traps set up to catch the rogue reptile.

6 The warning sign on the croc trap in the waters of the Mary River.

7 DERM rangers are hoping the croc will have a taste for fish.

8 Rangers have baited the second trap with pork in a effort to entice the croc.

9 A section of the Mary River, where 'Mary Crocins' now calls home.

10 Wayne Shearman (left) chats with grazier Lindsay Titmarsh on the shore of the Mary River.

11 One last glimpse of 'Mary Crocins' as it makes it's way up the river.

GraemeW
17-05-2012, 02:08 AM
Rangers set third trap to catch croc

16 May, 2012 9:29AM AEST

Wildlife rangers will set a third trap in an effort to catch the 3.5 metre saltwater crocodile in the Mary River.

The third addition will be a floating cage, creating a triangle of traps in and on the Mary River.
The large saltwater crocodile was first spotted by local fishermen on May 1. The sighting was well south of the species' normal range; although locals say there have been anecdotal accounts of big crocs in the Mary River and the adjacent Great Sandy Straits for years.
Wildlife operations manager Michael Debry from the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection says the new trap provides another opportunity for the croc to take the bait.
"We've tried two traps; we've had a floating trap in there for over a week and we've more recently put in a gate trap on the bank.
"Our next move is to bring another floating trap which should be on location by about Thursday. That means the traps will be well situated around the area where the crocodile has presented."

Mr Debry says the crocodile may not have an appetite due to the cooler conditions, so adding a third trap is providing another opportunity for the croc to try the bait.
"Being a cold blooded reptile its appetite certainly isn't like to be heightened, and in fact it may have a low level interest in food.
"What we're trying to do is entice it with a range of different baits so it can feel comfortable."

Si
17-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Rangers set third trap to catch croc

16 May, 2012 9:29AM AEST

Wildlife rangers will set a third trap in an effort to catch the 3.5 metre saltwater crocodile in the Mary River.

The third addition will be a floating cage, creating a triangle of traps in and on the Mary River.
The large saltwater crocodile was first spotted by local fishermen on May 1. The sighting was well south of the species' normal range; although locals say there have been anecdotal accounts of big crocs in the Mary River and the adjacent Great Sandy Straits for years.
Wildlife operations manager Michael Debry from the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection says the new trap provides another opportunity for the croc to take the bait.
"We've tried two traps; we've had a floating trap in there for over a week and we've more recently put in a gate trap on the bank.
"Our next move is to bring another floating trap which should be on location by about Thursday. That means the traps will be well situated around the area where the crocodile has presented."

Mr Debry says the crocodile may not have an appetite due to the cooler conditions, so adding a third trap is providing another opportunity for the croc to try the bait.
"Being a cold blooded reptile its appetite certainly isn't like to be heightened, and in fact it may have a low level interest in food.
"What we're trying to do is entice it with a range of different baits so it can feel comfortable."

i honestly dont see why they have to remove this croc. its not doing anyone any harm. being nearly winter it may take months before its even interested in food and most likely will move north or die. I say let nature do its thing.

riddo60
19-05-2012, 03:52 AM
hi rumy1 i have fished the calliope river for 28 years and yes there are croc's in the river,ive seen several plus big tracks where they have gone ashore, my old mate alix valis who has now passed shot a croc up the top of the river 45 years ago the skull was still on a fence some time back id say its still ther if someone hasent found it,croc's have been seen at the old causeway were heaps of people camp and swim "not me" thats for sure cheers riddo

GraemeW
23-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Cold weather stalls 'croc-hunt'

Fraser Coast Chronicle 23rd May 2012 12:30 PM

A CROCODILE lurking on the banks of the Mary River could be in for a reprieve, with wildlife rangers likely to abandon the "croc-hunt" until weather warms up again.

The 3.5 metre saltwater croc was first spotted three weeks ago by a Tinana fisherman - but it has so far avoided the three traps set out to capture it.

"We've had the traps progressively in place since the beginning of May and have baited each with what would normally be very tempting croc food, but the animal has not been interested," Department of Environment and Heritage Protection wildlife director Ashley Bunce said.

"This is not really surprising, as winter approaches cold-blooded animals like crocodiles lose much of their appetite as their metabolism slows.

"We're currently checking these traps daily and re-baiting them when required, but as the air and water temperature becomes colder it becomes increasing unlikely the crocodile will seek the food in our traps."

Dr Bunce said if the crocodile was not caught by Friday, rangers would shut down the traps until warmer weather returned.

But while the croc may be at large throughout the winter, fishermen and boaties should not fear for their safety as it has shown no sign of aggression.

"The department considers the crocodile represents a low risk to human safety at this time, given its behavioural history and the influence the cold weather is having on the animal's activity level," Dr Bunce said.

"Continuing attempts to capture the crocodile by traps, or even by considering other capture methods such as harpooning, is not an effective use of resources in the current circumstances."

The department will also maintain crocodile warning signs at the Beaver Rock boat ramp while the crocodile is believed to be in the area.

As this crocodile was observed south of the Boyne River, near Gladstone, EHP's crocodile management policy required attempts be made to catch it and, if caught, the animal be sent to a crocodile farm or zoo.

Pic info: The 3.5 metre saltwater croc spotted in the Mary River