PDA

View Full Version : Who has made the appointment ?

Lucky_Phill
29-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I have asked MY local member for an appointment to see him.

Email sent tonight.

I hope all who have any interest in how the LNP are going to spend the $120 million promised, have attempted to make contact with THEIR local member to tell them their interests and wants ?

For the contact details for your member:-

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/Members/mailingLists/MEMLIST.pdf

cheers Phill

Muddy Toes
30-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Alright....I'll put my neck out.

To be honest this is probably something I wouldn't normally do but after listening to a couple of smart people talking about the welfare of our fishery and seeing how passionate they were about it I now want to have a little sit down and pow wow with my local member.
Please excuse my ignorance but in this particular case should the nature of my meeting be to inform my local member about my concerns, or suggestions for improvement, or ways I think the LNP could spend their kitty to benefit the local fishery or am I a bit off track and confused?

This may seem pretty daunting to some so if you can break it down a bit Phill it might encourage a few more laymen like myself to go and actually do it instead of just tapping their concerns down on a keyboard on here every night.

Lucky_Phill
30-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Well, it is just a sit down with another Queenslander really.

Mention you are a recreational fisher and the LNP have made big commitments to that industry before the election.

They talked about Licence buy back, reviewing green zones and basing changes on science.

There is also talk of dismantling DERM and returning many ex fisheries staff back into FQ.

Just talk about how much money you spend on fishing, where you go, who you meet and what you do.

You will find the conservation ( and conversation :) ) will flow from subject to subject, but remember you'll only get 1/2 hr or 1 hour with them. Take along a buddy if you like. Seriously, there is nothing scary about a MP.... ;) ::)

You can meet in their office ( best option ) or at the local coffee shop, doesn't matter.

You could start with something like " hi, I voted for the LNP because I wanted change for the better for recreational fishing, what is going to happen now ? ".

Put the onus on the member to provide you with information. They are most likely a fisho too, or at least have wet a line at some stage.

Tell them you are part of a group of rec fishos that has 108,000 registered members Australia wide, but mostly SEQ. ( they love numbers :) )

1 in 4 Queenslanders wet a line at least once a year and we inject a billion dollars into the economy each year. We have more registered private vessels than NSW, with a lot less population.

Just tell him what bugs you about fishing.

Trawllers
Green Zones
boat ramps
information
rules
Fisheries patrol or lack of.
Arti reefs
pollution of the waterways
lack of funding for VMR's and Coast Guard
even a lack of port facilities for Cruise Ships in Brisbane
Mangrove destruction
Orica's Cyanide dumping in CQ river systems
Gladstone Harbour issues....
huge ships cutting through the Great Barrier Reef

commonsense & sustainability are always good words to chuck in.

Ask if he has seen the " I fish and I vote " bumper stickers ?

You'll find you'll run out of time easily. Make another appointment at the end to see him or her in a month or 2's time. Ask to be put on their email list for anything to do with fishing or the Marine Infrastructure program.

Thanks for asking Anthony...........

cheers

Gazza
30-04-2012, 11:20 PM
You will find the conservation will flow from subject to subject, but remember you'll only get 1/2 hr or 1 hour with them. Take along a buddy if you like. Seriously, there is nothing scary about a MP.... ;)::)
R U one of those rabid "closet Greenies" Phill :o

MP= Mod Phill :-X

finga
01-05-2012, 08:37 AM
I will be trying to see my 'local' in the week after this but I won't hold my breath.
He's Lawrence of Allora (I wonder if he lives in Allora??)
I don't think mangroves and trawler buy back will be on my agenda.

Freshwater fishing can bring a huge amount of money into rural areas.
Freshwater fishing 'interests' a growing number of people (especially travellers) and it's an area where there's not much discussion and it's definitely an area where no money what so ever is spent.

Cheers Scott

TheRealAndy
01-05-2012, 08:41 AM
I spoke to my local member last weekend, but only briefly as I was about to do a yacht race. Being the commodore of the yacht club, dealing with the pollies is inevitable part of the job. I assured her I will be on contact with her in the very near future.

Lucky_Phill
01-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Yes, Gazza, not closet, but certainly an open Greenie, in the right context, of course.

Conversation about conservation is OK by me. Sustainability is a great key word.

I think I am doing the right thing by the fishery by removing several fisheys everytime I go out on the briney, as it allows more food for other fishies :) :)

I always practice Catch, Fillet and Release. ( releasing frames into the environment to sustain growth for other habitat inhabitants :) )

That's my days quota for words with more than 2 syllables :-? 8-)

LP

Lucky_Phill
01-05-2012, 04:39 PM
I think there is a lot that can done in regards to freshwater as well. I am not up to speed on this, but I have heard certain Water Managers could be more forthcoming in respect to assistance with stocking programs.

LP

wags on the water
01-05-2012, 06:36 PM
I don't think his schedule fits in with my schedule unless of course he's willing to travel and meet up after hours.

Lucky_Phill
01-05-2012, 06:51 PM
I think your member is my member, so I'll drop ya name during our conversation... :)

Oh, and address.......... and phone number......... and email address.............. and........... and :P :) :)

LP

tunaticer
01-05-2012, 07:43 PM
I am meeting up with members of both local and state for my area in about 10 days time over another matter with a big price ticket.
Fishing and so forth will be raised as soon as the immediate matter is dealt with.
A third issue will also be raised again for the hell of it, but doubt there will be any form of legislation come of raising it.

finga
01-05-2012, 08:41 PM
I think your member is my member
LP

Oh, thst'd jusd wrong.
So wrong I can't even spell it out.

Cheers Alfred

Mrs Ronnie H
02-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Hi all
Have thought about it but are they really going to listen to just one persons opinion on the issues in our local area. I have concerns about the new development and marina and the use of the newly installed pontoon at our local ramp-- emailed our local and council but no reply from either and that was months ago.
I also am concerned about the lack of police presence in our town-- since they took away our police beat it seems every hoon in town does what they want , when they want.
So for me there are issues both concerning fishing and the community-- Are they really going to listen to my opinion.

CW-- Ronnie

Lucky_Phill
02-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Yes Ronnie, they will listen. But you have to get into their office and chat to them, about this.

They may not take immediate action, they may take no action, but as a great man once said

" for evil to exist, it only takes a few good men to do nothing ". Probably a bad metaphor / example, but it does sit weill within our scope.

Ronnie, they will listen, but if they are not the Minister for the area of concern, all they can do is pass on your concerns.

Being elected by YOU, means they work for you and they are well aware of this.

All it takes is to ask them questions .

" Why was the Police Beat removed " ?
" Will you bring it back ? "
" What plans do you have for the marina and the development " ?

If you ask the questions, they are obliged to respond and quite often they will respond in writing, as they will not usually have the answers on hand.

It is worth an hour of your time to pop in and have a chat with them.

Cheers Phill

PinHead
02-05-2012, 06:36 PM
why have public servants been sacked when CanDo said they would only reduce the public service by natural attrition...you could start asking your Member that question, as some of those sacked may be from fisheries.

Mike Delisser
04-05-2012, 03:26 PM
I have a friend in Fisheries who hes just been told he'll be finishing up at the end of June, my sister and 3 others working at the RBH typing up Doctors reports are being let go soon as well now doctors will have to do their own, = less time to treat patients.

Steeler
04-05-2012, 06:34 PM
So i take it Mike it was not by attrition then.

tunaticer
04-05-2012, 07:39 PM
why have public servants been sacked when CanDo said they would only reduce the public service by natural attrition...you could start asking your Member that question, as some of those sacked may be from fisheries.

I would first ask the question of whether this was trimming the fat from the govt payroll then ask about thier definition of "natural attrition" is exactly.
I think the Bligh govt did have too many beaurocrats and not enough hands on people to effectively do the work.

Mike Delisser
06-05-2012, 10:52 PM
I would first ask the question of whether this was trimming the fat from the govt payroll then ask about thier definition of "natural attrition" is exactly.
I think the Bligh govt did have too many beaurocrats and not enough hands on people to effectively do the work.

So far it's the hands on people that arn't having their contracts renewed, all the bureaucrats being paid out or not having their contracts renewed are being replaced by new bureaucrats.

rando
15-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Only ten people showing any interest in moving the debate forward with the government.
OoooH Well,,,,!

Macks forever
17-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Only ten people showing any interest in moving the debate forward with the government.
OoooH Well,,,,!

Don't worry Rando. Sunfish are doing it for you. :-X :o :-?

PinHead
17-05-2012, 06:17 PM

haha classic..Sunfish speak only for their members..no one else.

Apollo
17-05-2012, 06:42 PM

Shouldn't that be in the joke section??

rando
23-05-2012, 03:05 PM
I had an half an hour with Tim Nicholls today.We spoke about where the fisheries portfolio was held, I told him I wanted to see it in tourism because it would be ignored where it was.He said it would not be moving in the forseeable future.
I spoke about green zones and access, He denied any commitment had been given on the "one line one hook".
I spoke about marine restocking and how it could and should be implemented.
We spoke about rec fishing licences and if they are on the agenda.,,,No.
I spoke about funding for VMR/Coastguard.....No commitment.
Touched on artificial reefs, Infrastructure, he was giving me stats on revenue versus expenditure ( $25 million more investment than revenue)in the recreational fishing arena.
I spoke about the lack of policing of existing regulations and compared it to my experiences in NSW.
I left telling him I wanted to see the fishery "managed up" rather than managed down as has been happening.

cheers
Rando

Lucky_Phill
23-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks Rob,

He didn't seem to interested ?

That is not the issue, the fact that you have made the appointment, seen him and relayed your concerns is good enough.

The Revenue stats are concerning..... I'll look deeper into that.

cheers Phill

Macks forever
24-05-2012, 08:12 AM
haha classic..Sunfish speak only for their members..no one else.

Actually Pinhead, from what I have just read, they are not even doing that! :o >:(

rando
24-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks Rob,

He didn't seem to interested ?

That is not the issue, the fact that you have made the appointment, seen him and relayed your concerns is good enough.

The Revenue stats are concerning..... I'll look deeper into that.

cheers Phill

No Phill that was not my impression , he was interested, I perhaps ,was not as well prepared with my arguments across a range of subjects as i was with my pet area of concern,,, namely marine restocking.
Two areas of concern that I did not handle well,,,, He believes the green zones are working and i did not challenge the basis on which he believes that.
And he believes we( rec fishers) are well represented on the lobby front ,,, I did not explore that and should have.
I did not make my argument on the monetary value of rec fishing well,,, A hard ask when talking to the state treasurer to go head to head on figures.
There was a lot I wanted to say and only half an hour to do it,,, but he was somewhat in touch with most of the stuff we covered so I feel that we are on the radar

Gazza
29-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Hey Mark MP , Phill & Timiboy......

From what Randos honest observations indicate 2 me....::) ...I must say...::)

Thank you Mark MP/Newman for NOT releasing a "Fishing Policy" that "THE GREENS" were going to supposedly....................T-E-A-R....A-P-A-R-T
IF U believe the Phills/Timis of this sites' ::) ...inside info ??? :P:-*:o:o:o

:speechless: What is the WTF/FKN Diff' now that the LNP are supporting the alp/GREENS boundaries & policies :speechless:

Lucky_Phill
29-05-2012, 07:09 PM
OK, firstly Gazza... can you repeat that in English ?

Secondly, of course Nicholls supports Green Zones and so does every rec fisho.......... don;t they ???

The placement and reasoning behind a Green Zone IS the issue, not the zones themselves. And of course Nicholls says Green zones are working, because the only documentation he currently has is from Susan Spillans, remember this genius who said ": there are more mud crabs in the green zones than out side them " only her data was to survey inside a green zone once declared, and then survey it a year down the track... AND NOT doing any surveys outside the green zones. Pure genius.

Don't worry about the figures Rob, Once the real figures are placed in front of the States Treasurer, I am sure he will be enlightened.

Sure, we ( rec fishos ) may be well represented on the LOBBY front, but that is no good to those that actually want to see something happen, but rememebr, it is all about politics and therefore the LOBBY groups ( AFTA etc ) will be doing thier best to sway the powers that be, because it is in their " best business " interests.

I am having a meeting with the Minister ( John McVeigh and John Grant, my local MP ) next week, just have to settle on day,, should know tomorrow.

Is there anything in english you'd like me to ask him Gazza ?

cheers from Australia where our first language is English. :P :)

LP

Gazza
30-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Comprehension of the english language isn't one of your strong points Phill :-X:P

- Can we fish C&R only in NFZ(s) , i.e. NO fish onboard if inspected.
- Can we get the 5 snapper reinstated
- Can we get a "saving/freeze" on boat/trailer rego for 5 yrs.

Report back when able , and sincere good luck , Lucky_Phill ;)

rando
30-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi Phill.
RE Infrastructure/Artificial reefs,,,, do you like my Skirmish point jetty/reef ball idea ?? .Test the water with it if you think it has merit.

rando
30-05-2012, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=Gazza;1387948]Comprehension of the english language isn't one of your strong points Phill :-X:P

Gazza
The size and bag limits on snapper are unlikely to change . The governments scientists are advising their masters that Snapper amongst others need extra protection.
It would be a brave minister who disregarded the advise of his experts to score populist points, especially in the current political climate .
The treasurers position as I understand it is that the Revenue versus Expenditure equation is heavily biased on the expenditure side,,,, I suspect no joy for us there.
Still cannot hurt to ask!!!!

cheers
rando

Gazza
01-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi Mate , the Treasurer probably forgot to factor in the $GST$ RecFishing component , he's only new in the job......Lucky_Phill will explain this to the Fisheries Minister Mr. McVeigh

Maybe Snapper should be made a RecFisho only species , would save ~120T annually to go into 'growing' the biomass for a few years.

Gazza
23-06-2012, 01:31 PM
29/5 Lucky_Phill

I am having a meeting with the Minister ( John McVeigh and John Grant, my local MP ) next week, just have to settle on day,, should know tomorrow.

Is there anything in english you'd like me to ask him Gazza ?

Comprehension of the english language isn't one of your strong points Phill :-X:P

Report back when able , and sincere good luck , Lucky_Phill ;)How'd it go Mate...... :ears:
:laola:

Matt_Campbell
23-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Maybe Snapper should be made a RecFisho only species , would save ~120T annually to go into 'growing' the biomass for a few years.

Who catches 120 tonne Gazza???

Gazza
23-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Who doesn't ?

Gazza
29-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Were you able too see the Minister ?? :D Phill :gossip::gossip:
Please advise Mate :huh2:

Lucky_Phill
29-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Not yet, my holidays and his open days conflicked.

I had a lengthy meeting with my local member though.

he seemed genuinely interested, although not a regular fisho.

Minister McVeigh is up to his ears in portfolio enhancement. maimly the rural type, but he is being kept informed of Recreational Fishing Issues as they come to hand.

I expect to see more media releases over the next few weeks, similar to Noddy's " Open up the National Parks " annoucements. The DI lagoon issue may prove to be the impetous needed to get Rec Fishing on the front page.

Check news section here on AF. Keep Australia Fishing . !!! :)

How did your meeting with your local member go Gazza ????

LP

Gazza
29-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I voted "let others do it for me." _Phill
One(1) line/boat in NFZs ' seems more "affordable" , given budgetary constraints occurring presently.
Pass it on for me please.