PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Tiller Steering Boat onto Trailer at Boat Ramp

Splash
29-04-2012, 10:32 AM
I will have a 60HP tiller on my 4.1m Polycraft shortly, and need tips on how to safely steer boat from tiller position onto trailer at boat ramp with a significant gradient.

What I am concerned about is the fact that I will be sitting at the stern of the boat when the bow will be high up out of the water as it tackles the trailer....which could cause engulfment of water over the transom....

I see many other boaties with SC and CC units easily attach the trailer and happily tilt the motor up as the bow is lifted up by the trailer....

I will not be getting out of boat and using rope to guide boat on trailer either...

Thougths..

Splash

Fed
29-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Easy with a Poly mate just time it right with the porpoising.

finga
29-04-2012, 01:46 PM
I have to ask.
Why drive it on?
It's a small boat. Why not just winch it on?

Winching would save a lot of hassles like seeing, aligning, breaking, etc etc.

Cheers Alfred.

fly_1
29-04-2012, 02:20 PM
I agree, why would you even try??? its a small boat, use the winch, thats what its for....

Splash
29-04-2012, 02:42 PM
The reason why I initially stated "I will not be getting out of boat and using rope to guide boat on trailer either..." is because of crocs and strong tidal flow.

Splash

Fed
29-04-2012, 02:47 PM
You chicken Splash just keep a knife in your belt.

Agrav8_and_Lulu
29-04-2012, 03:03 PM
The reason why I initially stated "I will not be getting out of boat and using rope to guide boat on trailer either..." is because of crocs and strong tidal flow.

Splash
That's a good enough reason.

Gon Fishun
29-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Put a flag pole on your winch, one on the bow of your boat, line em up and go like the klappers.;D with you sitting center of boat.:P

Splash
29-04-2012, 03:40 PM
So, will my transom be engulfed with water as I sit at stern driving the boat onto the trailer?

Splash

Dan5
29-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Mate it depends on the angle of the ramp,also where is this strong tidal flow?.........You will need to learn to jacknife the trailer to suit the 'flow' otherwise you will never get it back on.........don't go 90deg to the flow jacknife and go into it.........also if there is that much current there will be no fish so stay at home on the spring tides........

We drive the little 4.2 on all the time.......saves time and effort.........practice at one of the billabongs untill you get it right........you will have many to yourself out that way.........

Just get that motor on and enjoy the boat Splasho.

Dan

rooboy98
29-04-2012, 04:11 PM
G'day Splash,

What boats ramps are you mainly using and worried about?

I always winched my 4.1m on. Never had any real dramas.

I would recommend getting a walkway on your trailer so you don't even have to get your feet wet. A 3 speed winch is also handy for steeper ramps or bank launches. Get a long seperate bow line so you can just push the boat back out from the bank and pull it up against the back of the trailer when retrieving. You can get various devices to help align the nose of the boat and guide it on while winching. eg. ezy-loaders and self aligning rear rollers. Coat your skids with inox and the poly will slip off and back on, nice and quick.

As far as crocs go, just don't muck around during launch/retrieve and stay out of the water as much as possible. I always enter/leave my boat over the bow up front, straight onto the ground. You shouldn't need to even get your feet wet alot of the time.

When retrieving, have your winch rope out a bit and ready just to clip straight onto the boat.

Plenty of 4.1m boats up this way and I've never seen one drive on yet.

Good tip about changing the angle of the trailer to suit the tide from Dan5. Makes it heaps easier whether you are winching or driving.

Cheers,
Roo.

tunaticer
29-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Is your trailer a poly lined skid trailer or does it have rollers??
Skid trailers are pretty easy as most of the self guide the keel into place on poly's that i have seen. Seen some roller trailers under poly's too which I am told is a no-no.
As dan said, give the trailer an attitude into the current a bit and all will follow suit.
Angle of the ramp will be an issue at times, you will need to sink it pretty far on flattish ramps.

Splash
29-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the tips boys.

The ramp i am referring to with strong tidal flow s SOuth Aligator boat ramp, which is steep and exposed many times to strong tidal flow..

My trailer is fitted with skids.

I guess I have concerns about sitting at the stern when loading boat onto trailer in term of approaching the apex area behind the trailer and heavily weighted at the stern...

Splash

Dan5
29-04-2012, 05:19 PM
South is easy as mate,just flick the trailer to 90 deg at the last moment.....it has nice big concrete shoulders exactly for this purpose.......

Don't wanna be rude but are you a BIG fella Splash?.........I think there is little chance of you sinking the arse end of the polly mate.

Dan

sharkymark2
29-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Am I the only one thinking of a 60hp on the back of a 4.1? What are you a Kamikaze pilot? Does Polycraft approve 60hp on the back of its 4.1? Boy I'd like to have some calm weather down here in Moreton bay to go to WOT.

Splash
29-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Hi Dan.

I am 6'2" at 90kg. But, I will have 118kg worth of outboard hanging off the back, as well as a 30kg crank battery and around 15kg of fuel...at rear end..

Sharky - the 4.1m is rated at 50HP form factory, except I just had it re-rated for 60HP by a Marine Surveyor.

I do understand what you are saying about calm waters and going WOT - I will only be using this rig in the long river runs here in NT - so always calm.

I will be doing runs of 80km one way, so hence max HP desired...should be fun!!

Splash

gazza2006au
29-04-2012, 06:35 PM
u might sink your poly if your trail aint a suitable drive on trailer

Splash
29-04-2012, 06:38 PM
HI Gazza.

You have stated I will be voiding my warranty and now deleted your statement.

I have been down this road / discussion many times - the boat is now certified at 60HP according to Australian Maritime Surveyors regulatory bodies.

In what way would I be voiding my warranty?

I have a brand new Oceanic trailer with skids - designed for drive-on situations.

SPlash

Charlie
29-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Not a lot difference in weight, maybe ten to twenty kilos between a forty and sixty, the boat will handle it easily or they wouldn't give you a compliance plate.

Spaniard_King
29-04-2012, 06:56 PM
HI Gazza.

I have been down this road / discussion many times - the boat is now certified at 60HP according to Australian Maritime Surveyors regulatory bodies.

I have a brand new Oceanic trailer with skids - designed for drive-on situations.

SPlash

Splash,

Have you talked to polycraft about the warranty if it is re rated by someone else??

Just think they may not be forthcoming in such a situation.

Tangles
29-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Reckon Splash your worrying too much, ramps conditions/tides always change, will you really know until your there at that time?

cheers
Mike

Splash
29-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Thansk guys.

Here is Polycraft statement:

"Polycraft is not responsible for any freight or delivery charges to or from Polycraft‘s premises relating to the repair or replacement of your Polycraft as a result of a claim being made under this warranty, which cost shall be borne by you."

So, I have to pay the min. $5,000 freight cost plus freight insurance of having my boat sent back to QLD and then back home (to / from NT) for any valid warranty claim I make with Polycraft...

YEAH RIGHT!

Any valid warranty claim is fruitless and not worth anything in any case with Polycraft because of this condition. This is like paying a $6,000 premium on any claim I make.

I won't bother contacting PC because I will never pay this money for any claim that I may make.

And, FWIW - the 120kg max transom weight that is stated on PC's factory plate does not change with this new plate I received from the Marine Surveyor - as the 60HP Yami is 118kg which is within factory specification.

I spoke to Club Marine Insurance and they have stated that they will insure this boat because it has a legitimate plate attached supplied by a registered Marine Surveyor.

Splash

Noelm
30-04-2012, 08:41 AM
the boat will not be too low in the transom if the trailer is far enough in the water! you run into problems when the trailer is way too 'high and dry" it may take a bit of trial and error, but when you get the depth right, it will be easy. Do not fall into the trap of tilting the motor too high, when you give it some power, it will just drive the stern down, do it a bit at a time untill you have everything right and you will be fine.

Splash
30-04-2012, 10:56 AM
THansk Nolem.

This is good information!

Splash

Dan5
30-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Splasho........NTAP................Northern Territory Acrylics and Plastics do repairs on polly want a cracker FYI.....Pruen Rd Berrimah.........If needed that is.

Dan

Spaniard_King
30-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Splash,

Always good to know where you stand on issues like that. Can't say that statement would win PC too many sales

Splash
30-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks Dan5 -

I will be using NTAP to weld on extras like the mounting plate for my leccy quick release plate, remove the SC unit and other nice to have's.

I am advertising my SC unit atm, and if I do not sell it soon, I will be cutting it up and using the plastic for add ons.

Spaniard King - Thanks for the feedback.

SPlash

timeout
30-04-2012, 08:58 PM
sounds like a fun boat ,i don't think you will have a problem especially with the slide on trailer.If it did give you trouble you could always move the tank and/or battery forward especially if you go alone alot [just a thought ]

gazza2006au
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
HI Gazza.

SPlashi didnt see your first post on second page so i edited my post and not every boat ramp is at the same angle so u might find it difficult to drive the boat onto the trailer on some boat ramps

Kondo 1
01-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I drive on my 4.5 all the time, or at least 2/3 the way dependant on the ramp and then the co-pilot is on winch duty :), I am a unit and there is plenty of weight down the back.

Just come in slow and dont tilt your motor too much, if you do you will send the nose up and drop the motor on the ramp - only use a little trim and then ease it up. If you dont get it all the way it will be close then you are only winching a little. On small boats the trailer needs to be deep.

I too have the surveyors plate with the upgraded motor, Sea Jay advised no warranty which I can understand and I am happy to wear the risk. Really the risk is small anyway in my case and I know I can wear it.

Splash
01-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks Kondo.

You have highlighted the concerns I have been thinking about..

I'll certainly take those thoughts on board - literally!

SPlash