PDA

View Full Version : inox or lanox

yellowbellyking
28-04-2012, 02:27 PM
they say you can spray inox on your reels and line and it wont hurt it what about spraying it on braid also what about using lanox on these any answers will be great thanks

outwide1
28-04-2012, 02:48 PM
I have been using that cheap water dispersant stuff that super cheap sell for years on my reels and braid and haven't had a problem.
When you think about it the outside of a reel doesn't really rust or corrode,its the internal parts that need attention which is covered when you
service them on a regular basis.It helps to remove the reels at times as i have found a little corrosion under the reel seat when you have a metal rod reel seat.
But todays reels and there exterior finish is dam good.
I have found over the years that most of the damage is done when people flush the reel hard with a hose and actually push the salt into the inside of the reel.
After personally doing this,i now simply give them a quick sprinkle of water,spray them and sit them to dry.
I also have them serviced on a regular basis.
Hope this helps,
Mick.

Sevric
28-04-2012, 03:28 PM
I think Lanox would leave a tacky / sticky surface on the reel. I have both but use inox on the reels and have done for years and found it great. Lanox is better used for rust prevention on trailers, winches, springs and shackles, wheel nuts etc.

ifishcq1
28-04-2012, 03:59 PM
I had some stuff to say but Sevric summed it up pretty well, inox on reels and lanox on wheels

cheers

Agrav8_and_Lulu
28-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Lanox will leave a sticky residue on the surface. Once the sand gets on the reel it will stick to it and will be tricky to get off.

Fafnir
28-04-2012, 04:02 PM
I used to soak my reels and braid in Inox, but Diawa have said that they don't recommend ANY of these products - including the 2 you have mentioned - be sprayed on their reels. This is from their website and it apparently applies to all of their reels:

Daiwa does not recommend the use of aerosol style penetrating lubricant sprays on or in any of our reels. These sprays have a tendency to do more harm in the long run than any benefits in the short term as they tend to dissolve and strip away the grease from inside bearings and gears leaving them dry and more prone to corrosion in the end.

You can read more here: http://daiwafishing.com.au/?p=9869

tunaticer
28-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Inox also reacts with some certain types of silicone rubbers causing it to swell i.e friction rings under rotors of shimano spinning reels.
I use mineral oils and greases for lubrication and wash the reels down after every outing and have zero corrosion problems on my shimanos. The Okumas tho do have a corrosion problem after 5 yrs.

deepfried
28-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I have been told not to touch my reels with inox and out of the two only use lanox. This was from an old pro fisherman so that's what I do. They are cleaned and dried then sprayed down with lanox and lightly wiped down. I don't have any problems at all with it being tacky or picking up any sand or dust etc. going by the other posts I reckon they both work well enough.

castlemaine
28-04-2012, 05:07 PM
CRC sell an aerosol product specific for reels. Available from most fishing tackle stores.

TheRealAndy
28-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Lanox turns to glue in winter too!! I would use the good old singer machine oil, in fact that is what I use!

kingcray
28-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Andy i remember growing up the old man would always make me put a drop or 2 of singer on the old alvies when i took em to the beach or the creek... not that they really needed it.

blackjew
28-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Inox also reacts with some certain types of silicone rubbers causing it to swell i.e friction rings under rotors of shimano spinning reels.
I use mineral oils and greases for lubrication and wash the reels down after every outing and have zero corrosion problems on my shimanos. The Okumas tho do have a corrosion problem after 5 yrs.
Gday mate whats the names of the oils and grease you use please.
Never forget one time my dad cleaned our reels even my TLD25 with 80 pound braid ,we were out about 30 km from Darwin and had a hot jew bite happening ,after getting some big fish on and as soon as i went to lift these freight trains from the bottom ping would go the braid.After losing 10 big jews and dad landing 1 i asked him what he cleaned the reels in .Oh he replied i cleaned and sprayed yours all over with WD40 i just washed mine under the hose lol

Rodman
29-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Hi Guys

As a reel repairer i use Lanox to coat the outside of a reel the reason is that lanox does not contain any oil based petroleum.
Lanox is made from Sheep wool grease which is a natural grease. When you spray it on your reel you wipe it off within five minutes. Lanox does not affect your touching bait, or lures as any resdiue does not leave a petroleum oil trail or contamination but a natural residue which fish will not be spooked by?

Giffo65
29-04-2012, 08:31 PM
I use Lanox on my reels and the outboard,also the skids on the trailer for the Polycraft.The only down side is you have Kiwis making amorous advances on your fishing gear and boat !;D

tunaticer
01-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Gday mate whats the names of the oils and grease you use please.

G96 Gun oil actually, more body than the crc's rp7's etc and a non greasy or sticky residue.