PDA

View Full Version : New Era in Rec fishing in Qld.

Lucky_Phill
28-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Firstly, this is not a political thread.

As you know, the LNP have won the State election and promises were made leading up to that victory.

It is now up to us to tell our local members what we expect and want from them and the new Government.

There are representative groups out there that will make submissions on your behalf, but it can ceratinly help if you contact your local MP and put your case forward. Meet with them, call them, email them or write to them, either way it WILL make a difference.

Do you want an artificial reef in your fishing area ? better boat ramp facilities ? funding for freshwater stocking ? on water signage ( green zones ) ? or simply better access to recreational fishing information ?

Now is the time to do this.

Here is the link to contact details of all MP's.......

http://www.qgd.qld.gov.au/legislative_assembly.html#addresses

OR here is 2 PDF's.

cheers LP

ifishcq1
28-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Hey Phil I can't stress enough how much we need to get our say across this early in the term
pound them hard, pound them early and they will be conscious of our numbers through their whole term
let's hope they actually listen
we had our locals today and all except the current mayor are very supportive of rec fishing
so we have a double whammy of new blood to train with any luck
cheers

Lucky_Phill
28-04-2012, 08:03 PM
From the Premier to the Fisheries Minister.

10 April 2012

The Honourable John McVeigh
Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
Level 8, Primary Industries Building
80 Anne Street
BRISBANE QLD 4000

Dear Minister

Ministerial Deliverables

Congratulations on your success in the electorate of Toowoomba South and thank you for accepting my invitation to serve Queensland as the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.

Our electoral success was achieved with a strong cohesive CanDo team committed to real change, and your contribution to the team played a significant part. Queenslanders have voted for change, and it is critical that we respect the trust bestowed on us by delivering on our commitments to grow a four pillar economy, lower the cost of living by cutting waste, deliver better infrastructure and better planning, revitalise front line services for families, restore accountability in Government and work towards our goal of achieving 4% unemployment in six years.

For this reason, I am writing to each Minister outlining my expectations of the priority tasks to be achieved to deliver on our election commitments. You and your Department have a vital role to play in the reform program, as reflected in the following tasks for which I am requesting you to take responsibility.

I expect that at all times Ministers will demonstrate to the public the capabilities and behaviours that will define us as the Government we undertook to be – united, energetic, disciplined and ethical. I refer you to the Queensland Cabinet Handbook, the Queensland Ministerial Handbook, the Queensland Executive Council Handbook, the Queensland Parliamentary Procedures Handbook and the Queensland Legislation Handbook.

Contribution to the 100 Day Plan
The following are the specific tasks relevant to your portfolio which you need to achieve in the first 100 days of Government.

Create a new standalone Department of Agriculture.
Appoint an industry and stakeholder group to oversee a comprehensive audit of agricultural land in order to better plan and identify additional future food production land in Queensland.
Initiate recruitment of new biosecurity officers.
Commence the implementation of the structural adjustment package for the net fishing industry.

In cooperation with the Minister for Environment and Heritage Protection:

Amend the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 to bring Queensland in line with other states and protect Queensland’s iconic dugong and turtle populations.

First Term Tasks
In addition to these early milestones, the following tasks within your area of Ministerial responsibility are to be achieved within the first term of Government.

Implement all LNP election policy commitments relevant to your portfolio.
Identify wasteful expenditure that could be redirected to front line services.
In cooperation with the Minister for Health deliver on the LNP election policy Strengthening Queensland Tropical Health Defences.
Implement the LNP’s election policy as outlined in the LNP Agriculture Strategy.
Develop and implement policies and initiatives that address skills shortage issues in Agriculture and Horticulture.
Develop and implement policies and initiatives that ensure departmental resources are principally engaged for frontline service delivery and to remove unnecessary red tape from producers.
Contribute to the Statutory Regional Planning process in consultation with your Ministerial colleagues to ensure that agriculture is appropriately identified.
Establish a framework, in consultation with the Minister for National Parks and the Minister for Environment, to allow for prudent access to native forests by apiarists and the forestry industry.
Complete the Agricultural Land Audit.
Establish the program for Protective Clothing for private veterinarians to protect against Hendra Virus.
Complete recruitment of 15 biosecurity officers.
Deliver increased Research and Development funds to the sugar industry.
Deliver LNP election commitments for increased research and development in Agriculture consistent with the LNP Agriculture strategy.
Complete the Agriculture and Horticulture Workforce Planning program.
Establish a marine infrastructure capital works program and complete all election commitments.
In consultation with the Minister for the Environment, establish and complete a voluntary commercial buyback of net fishing licenses and deliver a scientific evaluation of the buyback program.
Establish a science based approach to fisheries management including the gathering of data on the efficacy of Green Zone fishing restrictions.
Implement the LNP’s election commitment to cut waste by reducing travel, advertising and consultancy expenditure.
Implement the LNP’s election commitment for sustainable public sector growth.
Implement the LNP’s election commitment to reduce red tape.
Continue to establish effective working relationships with stakeholders and other interest groups relevant to your portfolio areas.

Could you please consult with your Director-General to ensure these goals are understood by the Department and that systems are in place to monitor and report on progress towards their achievement, so that you are able to update Cabinet regularly. In this regard, the Department of Premier and Cabinet will be responsible for coordinating reports to Cabinet on progress, and will assist your Department with proposed reporting formats.

I intend to review this charter and your efforts to implement it regularly.

Finally, I congratulate you again on your appointment and I look forward to working closely with you as a Ministerial colleague as we implement our policies and achieve the goal of providing a CanDo Government to get Queensland back on track.

Yours sincerely

CAMPBELL NEWMAN
PREMIER OF QUEENSLAND

Lucky_Phill
28-04-2012, 08:11 PM
As you can see by this " instruction " to the minister by his boss, the " working relationships " is demanded in writing. These relationships are the ones established by you and your local MP and in turn your local MP and the Minister.

Seriously people, your member is standing by the phone waiting for YOU to call them so he or she can carry out their respective duties, as declared by the Premier.

LP

Chas & Clarry
28-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Ministerial Deliverables

....blah blah blah.....

Implement all LNP election policy commitments relevant to your portfolio.

.....Blah Blah... and complete all election commitments.

In consultation with the Minister for the Environment, establish and complete a voluntary commercial buyback of net fishing licenses and deliver a scientific evaluation of the buyback program.
Establish a science based approach to fisheries management including the gathering of data on the efficacy of Green Zone fishing restrictions.
....blah blah...........
Continue to establish effective working relationships with stakeholders and other interest groups relevant to your portfolio areas.
[/LIST]

Hey Phil sorry if this is an ignorant or lazy question, but is there a concise list (in simple English) of what was actually promised or committed that impacts rec fishing, in the election by the LNP?

Very happy to actively add my voice, just want to be informed first and frankly don't have time to wade through knee deep piles of political bull sh!t to find what was actually promised (or intimated). I realise that we don't have to limit ourselves to what was "promised or committed to" when talking to / lobbying the politicians but it seems like the obvious place to start.

Thanks
Tim

Lucky_Phill
29-04-2012, 07:04 AM
The concise list can only be established from input from you and me.

There were representations made to the LNP & ALP prior to the election by various stakeholder groups.

It's like this:-

Noddy promises $120mill for Marine infrastructure and it will get spent.

Where ? The new Minister doesn't know so he seeks input from the Director General, who seeks input from the department, also and more importantly, the minister seeks input from his ministerial colleagues during cabinet meetings. This last part is where we come in, meeting with local MP's and asking for funds to be spent in areas WE feel necessary.

The Minister has the funds, he just needs to know where to spend it. He has only been in the job for a few weeks and prior to this probably had no idea about what is required by recreational fishos in Queensland.

To answer your question Tim, there is NO specific items on the agenda, although artificial reefs have been mentioned in the hallowed halls often over the last couple of months. Specifically, the net / licence buy back is a confirmed item.

There have been threads posted here on Ausfish asking members what they require or would like and I assure you , those responses have made their way into the hands of political people.

Probably even better way to answer your question Tim, call your local MP and ask them to send out the " list ". Even better, ask them to put you on their email list so ANY media release, policy decisons or information sheets relating to marine activities, be sent to you.

cheers Phill

Lucky_Phill
29-04-2012, 02:11 PM
16 April 2012

The Honourable Scott Emerson MP
Minister for Transport and Main Roads
Level 15, Capital Hill
85 George Street
BRISBANE QLD 4000

Dear Minister

Ministerial Deliverables

Further to my letter of 10 April 2012, I write to clarify certain issues regarding your role and responsibilities as a Minister in my LNP Government.

As indicated in my previous letter, it is my intention that, as part of your contribution to the 100 Day Plan, you establish the Roads to Resources program and the framework for identifying priority road projects. It is my further intention that you take responsibility for the ongoing administration of this important program, as part of our Royalties for the Regions funding package. Other Royalties for the Regions programs will be administered by the Deputy Premier in his role as Minister for State Development.

I am also asking at this time that you and your Department now take responsibility for the funding and construction of new projects under the government’s Marine Infrastructure Fund. I am tasking the Minister for National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing to work with recreational fishing interests, communities and Councils to identify areas of strategic need, and bring forward suitable projects for funding and construction. I ask that you work with him to finalise details to deliver this important program.

Yours sincerely

CAMPBELL NEWMAN
PREMIER OF QUEENSLAND

cc: Hon Jeff Seeney MP, Hon Steve Dickson MP, Hon John McVeigh MP

Mike Delisser
29-04-2012, 11:37 PM
I believe Campbell has already said the break up of the $120 mil will be $30m for deep dredging on the Gold Coast, $40m for dredging Trinity Inlet and $50mil for small marine infrastructure such as "boat ramps and fishing pontoons" (their words).

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/lnps-dredge-pledge-environmental-study-ruled-out-20120309-1uol0.html

wayno60
30-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Cando can take his 30mil and build the cruise boat terminal out in the middle of the ocean. Leave the broadwater alone....