PDA

View Full Version : New 150hp Motor required. What should I get?

Giveway
27-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi guys,

I have made a decision to purchase a new Cruise Craft 595 outsider. Even though the boat is rated to take max hp of 175, I have decided to stick with a 150hp. Choices I have been presented with so far are,
Mercury 4 stroke
Yamaha 4 Stroke
Suzuki 4 stroke
Evinrude ETEC 2 stroke.

Mercs are the latest motor on the market and are claiming to be lighter, more efficient and more powerful in their literature compared with the Yamaha and Suzuki.
I have heard a couple of conflicting reports about the ETEC which means I will probably stay away from this motor

Both the Yamaha and Suzuki models have been out for a while now and have pretty solid reputations. You know what you are going to get with these two motors.

Has anyone purchased a new merc lately and have any feedback? I am pretty keen to go with the latest technology but I have not found any independent reviews or opinions on the motor yet.

Thanks guys.

Noelm
27-04-2012, 11:52 AM
My way of thinking (and lots will towel me for this) is, big HP, go Merc, the US has so many big HP engines, they rule the world, but smaller stuff, ( 100 and less) Japanese every time

robtarr
27-04-2012, 12:37 PM
IMO I try and steer clear of the first batch of any new technology especially when making a large purchase. There's nothing wrong with getting a proven performer that's had all the bugs ironed out in the production run.

Good luck with the new CC

cheers Rob

Tickleish
27-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Oh what a terrible situation you have! I think that will be an awesome package and having been in 625's with 150's I'm sure the 150 on the 595 will be the perfect power plant.

I would go the Merc, they have takin there time developing this engine and by all reports it's a cracker. There are actually some reports from the usa if you look and their all good. Its been designed as a marine engine with torgue curves at the right revs & beefed up components where its needed -its not just a motor bike or car engine turned on its head.

Mercury is also very well backed in Australia and your not just relying on a private company to stay afloat to keep them in the country like the suk.

Saying all that though I think there all good engines and I wish I had your problem. For me it would be Merc, Etec, Yammi & Zuk.

Good luck and show us some pics when you get her.

bf90
27-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Ok so why not a HONDA ?? They are a bloody good donk too !!

no chicken tonight
27-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Why not Honda?
I've had Merc, Suzuki, yami, Honda, 4 strokes and found the yami and Honda best by far. Plus, if your on the gold coast, GD marine is a mobile Honda tech that was definitely the deciding factor when I puchaced my new hondas.

bf90
27-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Get in touch with spaniard_king and ask him about some of the Honda outboards he services on work boats, it is just unreal how many hours these motors clock up and the wot times as well, myself I have had evinrude, johnson, merc, tohatsu, mariner and honda. All been very good motors but for my money I will never go past a Honda. Ask a pro fisher what they use.

Noelm
27-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Honda is a great engine, but it weighs a ton!

Argle
27-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Bugger the 150 go the 175 Suzuki - same block as the 150 but you get the variable valve timing, its an absolute peach of an engine and would be a nice match for the CC.

Cheers

Giveway
27-04-2012, 04:43 PM
What’s Different
With a suggested retail price of $12,980, the 150 FourStroke slots between the Verado ($13,900) and the OptiMax ($12,500), and is significantly less expensive than the Yamaha F150 (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/lifestylehome/home.aspx) ($15,530), which in many markets is the best-selling 150 and was a benchmark for Mercury.
Like all the competing 150 four-stroke models, the Mercury has a four-cylinder powerhead. Its 3.0-liter displacement is 12 percent more than the 2.7-liter Yamaha and larger than any in the class, and at 455 pounds it’s the lightest four-stroke 150 by at least 19 pounds.
Mercury says that robust displacement enhances durability, because the motor can almost loaf along and still make competitive power, which in this class is really 164.9 horsepower, not 150. It has a single overhead camshaft driven by a chain running in an oil bath below the powerhead with maintenance-free, automatic tension adjustment. All other 150 four-strokes have a double overhead cam valve train with four valves per cylinder.
http://features.boats.com/boat-content/files/2011/09/small-Merc-150-fuel-filter.jpgHandle and quick-connect hose fittings ease fuel filter service.

Merc says its single cam and two-valve head is lighter, more compact and less complex than a DOHC design. The valves are actuated with finger roller followers that reduce friction and require no valve lash adjustment. To accommodate stronger (but not larger) gears, the gearcase housing is 4.9 inches in diameter, .25-inch larger than the OptiMax case.
The new motor also has an integral oil cooler. A free-flowing, die-cast exhaust header bypasses the adapter plate, so less heat is passed back into engine oil and coolant. Finally, the mounting system is unusual; the top mounts are splayed at a 45 degree angle, which Merc says improves vibration isolation and also moves the rubber mounts away from engine heat, so they will last longer.
Customers also said they value compact size and light weight in a four-stroke 150. Anglers especially appreciate having to work around less motor on the transom. The single-cam head reduces the size of the powerhead compared to the competition.
And Merc got clever when it rotated the powerhead 11 degrees to port, so it fits more neatly into the corners of the pan and cowl. Twisting the powerhead created space in the aft starboard corner for a compact, scroll-shaped intake manifold. And rather than form the cowl as a one-piece “bucket,” Mercury bonds together multiple parts formed in lightweight composite to create a cowl that is more compact, because the bottom does not have to be the largest dimension.
http://features.boats.com/boat-content/files/2011/09/small-Merc-150-oil-drain.jpgOil drain fitting accepts a hose and opens with a half-turn. Oil can also be sucked out through the dipstick tube.

All this adds up to less “tilt arc and transom well intrusion” than the 150 FourStroke’s competition, according to Mercury. On the water, it looks smaller than either the 115 FourStroke or the 150 Verado.
Easier Maintenance
More than some other boaters, 150 owners tend to do their own maintenance, according to Merc. It also knows we do not read the owner’s manual, so it put key maintenance and service info on a sticker that’s plastered right on the cover of the electrical system on the powerhead. There will also be a “QR” symbol that can be scanned with a smart phone to link to videos, demonstrating how to change the oil, for example.
That annual task is made easier and less messy by a new oil-drain fitting with a nipple for a hose (so you can route it to a disposal container). The fitting opens with a half-turn of a wrench, like a brake-bleeder fitting.
http://features.boats.com/boat-content/files/2011/09/small-Merc-150-service-decal.jpgLarge label puts basic maintenance info right on the motor, with a QR symbol to connect a smart phone to how-to videos.

You can slip that same hose over a nipple in the bottom of a catch-tray under the oil filter. A handle makes it easy to fish the fuel filter up from the pan, and quick-disconnect fittings make it literally a snap to change without tools. This motor is permanently lubed – there are no grease fittings to service. If you are willing to change the gearcase lube, you can handle your own annual service. Just watch the video first.
Running
I spent about a half-hour on the water with a 150 FourStroke rigged to a well-worn Lund (http://www.lundboats.com/) 1800 Fisherman from the Merc test facility in Oshkosh, Wis. This motor is super-quiet at idle, thanks to a new muffler device on the exhaust relief. Water lapping the hull makes more noise.
Even at planing speeds, the 150 FourStroke is so quiet I could talk in a normal voice with the motor humming just a few feet away. With three full-grown men on board, the boat popped right on plane, and pulled a 16-pitch Enertia prop to 5800 rpm.
Merc asked me not to report speed or fuel use as this was a pre-production motor. I just ran a Verado 150 on a similar-size Crestliner (http://www.crestliner.com/), and my highly-calibrated, seat-of-the-pants comparison is that the 150 FourStroke can match the performance of the Verado in all regards except perhaps for mid-range acceleration, where the Verado supercharger delivers some nice punch. Which is not to say the 150 FourStroke is lacking. It’s just no Verado.
The 150 FourStroke will be in production late this year and begin to reach dealers and boat builders before January 2012. DTS is not an option for this motor, but boats with dual 150 FourStroke engines can be rigged with the same power steering system offered with Verado motors. It can also be fitted with the Mercury Big Tiller with power-assist if you are so inclined.
If the customers are really always right, they should love this motor.
For more information, visit Mercury Marine. (http://www.mercurymarine.com/)
http://features.boats.com/boat-content/files/2009/11/plueddeman-head-shot.jpgCharles Plueddeman is Boats.com’s outboard, trailer, and PWC expert. He is a former editor at Boating Magazine and contributor to many national publications since 1986.

Read more: http://features.boats.com/boat-content/2011/09/new-mercury-150-fourstroke-outboard-debuts/#ixzz1tDjm1av4

Giveway
27-04-2012, 05:06 PM
I put the motor review in above but I wanted to know if anyone has one of these motors and how have they found it. This motor has been out for a little while now and the literature looks promising. However actual reveiws from members who have access to this motor might be more compelling reading.

Floating Rib
27-04-2012, 05:13 PM
how about an Opti, i run a merc 4 stroke but plenty swear by the optimax, my mate runs a 150 Mariner(same engine) on a 7m Hydrofield and i was really impressed with the noise level and performance + plus economy driving what is a very solid boat, Merc i believe is also discounting them at the moment.

Spaniard_King
27-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Honda is a great engine, but it weighs a ton!

Noelm The Yammy is 223kg which is heavierthan the Honda by a few kg.

I think you will find very little difference in weight for the 150 4 strokes

Tangles
27-04-2012, 07:10 PM
i would also really think about servicing from the dealer as well being a new boat and motor, great dealer service can make life a lot easier as no doubt you will tweak the boat to suit you for a while after you buy it,

if the dealer you are comfortable also sells either a honda/yammie/mercury i cant see how you can go wrong,

Smithy
27-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Tough decision but get the Merc so you can report back here for all of us on how it goes! Fair few people are curious about them but I don't think anyone in Ausfish land has one just yet.

Giveway
28-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Tough decision but get the Merc so you can report back here for all of us on how it goes! Fair few people are curious about them but I don't think anyone in Ausfish land has one just yet.

Smithy - I think you may be onto something here. I have searched around for some Australian reviews of the motor and have not had a lot of luck. If I do make this purchase perhaps I should make my rig available for a boat test with QFM, F&B or one of the other fishing and boating magazines so there is an independant review out there for the rest of the community to read and consider. Any suggestions on who to contact? I read the review modern boating did on the 595 outsider powered by an ETEC. This boat is sitting at Wynnum Marine and I have enjoyed getting a good look at this set up.

PinHead
28-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Merc 2 stroke..4 blade prop

ice breaker
30-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Mate i bought a 150 honda from garry at GD Marine Services last november very happy with motor. Garry sells fits and services so one phone call you receive all info you need.

lethal
30-04-2012, 06:16 PM
I've got a 90suk and i'm a fan of them, i've had hondas and yamahas also which i've been impressed with. My mate has a 2007 115Merc 4 banger which has had a few dramas, maybe a lemon but enough for me to steer clear of them in the future

fin101
30-04-2012, 06:21 PM
I actually came very close to buying this same boat, I took the 595 for a run on a pretty average day which was a good indicator of how it would perform, it had a 150 Yammie 4 on it and performed really well, engine wise it was a good match to the hull I think, it got on the plane pretty easy too which is good and the 150 Yammie is one of the best donks they have produced. Personally for me, I found the hull to be a bit dissappointing, I could not fault the finish of the Cruisecraft, they are one nicely presented package and the targa setup on them is the best in the business. I ended up going the HH650r which for mine is a far better hull and performer. I still cast my eyes when I see a CC but it all fades away when I'm punching my rig home in the crap conditions that we have been experiencing in Sydney this summer. Either way I don't think you can go far wrong with the Yamaha and I hope you have lots of great trips in your new rig. BTW, I have had optis and merc 4strokes and could not fault them either, sold my 115 4st merc with 423 happy no problem hours. Present donk is 4.2ltr Yammie, great motor. Yamaha has a pretty good dealer network too.

Giveway
30-04-2012, 08:56 PM
I actually came very close to buying this same boat, I took the 595 for a run on a pretty average day which was a good indicator of how it would perform, it had a 150 Yammie 4 on it and performed really well, engine wise it was a good match to the hull I think, it got on the plane pretty easy too which is good and the 150 Yammie is one of the best donks they have produced. Personally for me, I found the hull to be a bit dissappointing, I could not fault the finish of the Cruisecraft, they are one nicely presented package and the targa setup on them is the best in the business. I ended up going the HH650r which for mine is a far better hull and performer. I still cast my eyes when I see a CC but it all fades away when I'm punching my rig home in the crap conditions that we have been experiencing in Sydney this summer. Either way I don't think you can go far wrong with the Yamaha and I hope you have lots of great trips in your new rig. BTW, I have had optis and merc 4strokes and could not fault them either, sold my 115 4st merc with 423 happy no problem hours. Present donk is 4.2ltr Yammie, great motor. Yamaha has a pretty good dealer network too.

Thanks for the reply. Why did the CC hull seem a little bit dissappointing to you? A HH 650 is unfortunately not going to fit in my shed and I think it might be too much for the Prado to legally tow once it is fully loaded up with fuel, ice etc considering the Prado is capped at 2500kgs.

Good to hear about the Yamaha being a good fit for the boat. This motor is definately tried and tested with proven results.

ranga7
30-04-2012, 09:10 PM
go the max hp. 175hp zuk would be awesome on that boat

fisho8
01-05-2012, 07:51 PM
go the max hp. 175hp zuk would be awesome on that boat

X2 the Zuk's are becoming the motor of choice for alot of Commercial boats I am starting to see them everywhere. On the back of charter boats,boat licencing boats,coastguard boats,police boats,The police boat that runs out of the brissie river run 3 300hp zuk's off the back. I am currently running a 175 Merc Opti off the back of my boat at them moment but when it is time to go the 4 stroke the 175 zuk will be my choice. I got a price off cunningham's marine for a 150hp Merc 4 stroke they were asking $17900 pluss $600 to fit. I was speaking to the Suzuki Rep at the tinny and tackle show and one of their dealers was doing a deal on the 175 zuk's with the guages fitted with the control's for 21k.

trueblue
01-05-2012, 09:58 PM
I got that same price from cunninghams on the 150 merc, but thats not much good any more....unless maybe they got some stock in before they went belly up which might get sold at auction...

I also just got a quote from overseas on the same motor and am waiting to clarify if the quote was inclusive of gauges and rigging kit etc. Quote was landed for 15k, but would have to pay duty / GST on top of that.

Cunninghams price was cheap compared to their competition here in Brisbane who quoted me approx 22k fitted for the 150 merc.

hallcomp01
03-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Get a 150 Merc blackmax carb with extra smokey oil injection! They blow flames on cold winter starts before doing what deep purple used to sing about!!:X

Noelm
04-05-2012, 10:46 AM
[QUOTE=trueblue;
Cunninghams price was cheap compared to their competition here in Brisbane who quoted me approx 22k fitted for the 150 merc.[/QUOTE]
Might just explain why the went down.

kizza1
04-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Its not realy that cheap. We can do the same price for you up here at north coast boating (sunshine coast) if you like. we have sold 2 of these engines already and both owners are extremely happy. anyone looking to buy one can pm me and i will pass the your details on to one of the blokes for a first hand review

trueblue
04-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Cunninghams was 17,600 from memory

Giveway
10-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks for your comments guys. I knew the yamaha would get a decent wrap due to the length of time this model has been on the market. I might start another thread to see if anyone in ausfishland has purchased a new merc to try and get some feedback.