PDA

View Full Version : Flare Demonstration Day

lethal098
27-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Hi All,

Just a quick heads up that there will be a Flare Demonstration on Sunday 6th May at 10am(weather Depending) at The Coastguard Redcliffe Base at Scarborough.

If you have never seen a Flare in operation i would highly reccomend You to attend.

If you are thinking of attending please post on this Thread.

Cheers Lee

Crunchy
27-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Gidday Lee

Can I bring my own expired flares and let them off myself?

Mrs Ronnie H
27-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Hi Lee

Great idea and was thinking the same-- Have expired flares that need to be disposed of.

Ronnie

Obi _ Wan
27-04-2012, 10:55 AM
I dropped a dozen perfectly good but out of date flares off at Scarbbie last week, so somebody else is going to get to use flares that cost me approx $150. I bloke i knew had some WW2 flares including rocket/ parachute flares, apparently they worked very well after around 50 years. I still have an old epirb, about 15 years old, test light still comes on when you hit the switch to test, looked at replacing the battery when it was out of date many years ago, cost as much as a new unit, no way, don't go out that far anymore so i don't need one.

Sorry Lee i have SOL today.

John.

PS. For those that are not aware, flares become out of date at the end of the month in the year that the flare is date stamped , I have this in writting from MSQ.

lethal098
27-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Due to MSQ and Department of Mines, NO WE DO NOT USE EXPIRED FLARES. We only use flares that are in date. Our instructor Operates under strict guidlines when doing flare demonstrations.

If you have out of date Flares, Technically it is illegal to be in possesion of them. Bring them down and we can dispose of them for you.

Cheers Lee

Crunchy
27-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Arrrrrrh phooey, to many rules to spoil my fun.....::)

OK understand Lee, I promise not to find somewhere quiet to have a go myself:-X

lethal098
27-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Doesnt bother me Crunchy, been there done that myself before, SSHH

JRBK
27-04-2012, 03:36 PM
I'd be keen on attending this day..luckily to date, i've never had to set one off.

Mrs Ronnie H
27-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi Lee
If I can get hubby motivated and out of bed wouldn't mind going and if I do will bring old flares so they can be disposed of.

Ronnie

Triple
27-04-2012, 04:24 PM
If you have out of date Flares, Technically it is illegal to be in possesion of them. Bring them down and we can dispose of them for you.
Cheers Lee

Can you point me to any legislation that states this?
I always thought you could have expired flares but needed "in date" ones for safety requirements and when inspected you must have "in date" ones but nothing about still having "expired" ones onboard aswell. I would rather have a few extra "expired" ones onboard when I run out of "In date" ones in an emergency situation.

edit - I should of searched on here first - http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?68299-Expired-marine-distress-flares
Has anyone actually been fined for having "expired" ones on board aswell as their "in date" ones?

lethal098
27-04-2012, 04:52 PM
the chances of being fined would be very very slim.

wayno60
27-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Is this like the mardi gras in sydney....

Chas & Clarry
27-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Could have sworn I posted this before but it didn't post up...

I watched a "Flare Demonstration" carried out by the passenger hanging out the side of a comodore driving through North Lakes one night a couple of months back. It was very bright (the flare not the passenger), and lit up a big bit of road and lasted for quite a long distance!